This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOS Project 1: Diety

Why don't we have a section for BOS type things?

I'mm'a gonna start a series of threads for projects that can go into a BOS. These are specific, research oriented tasks/projects. If everyone completes the task, the combined information should be enough to form a section in your own BOS and eventually all of the projects will add up to an impressive collection. If it works out as planned. I'm asking that everyone who participates complete at least one full task. So one deity with all the info. But you are more than welcome to do as many as you would like. Try to stick to the provided format. This will allow for some flow as we share and combine information. Don't come in here and critique someone's work or the thread itself without at least having contributed to your portion of the project.

This particular project is going to focus on the deity/ies. The goal here is to do some in depth research on a particular deity. We've done something like this before so it might sound familiar. First you choose a diet, and share who you've chosen. This will work best if everyone choses a different deity, but it's not a requirement. Then you answer a series of questions about them that I'll provide here shortly. Once everyone has done their piece and shared their info, you take everyone's information, go through what they've said, filter it to fit into your own BOS and voila, a whole section on various deities started and you've only had to research one. The same will work for other topics as well. Rituals for the various holidays/events, divination techniques, etc.
    So for deities.

Name
    Pantheon
    Location of origin

Art/images related to deity.

A general overview of the original culture/people to worship them.

Where did they come from? Were they born of other gods, have they always existed?

Family if there is one.

A basic overview of their life.

Physical appearance.

Any holidays of celebrations associated with them.

Whether they had temples and/or an order of monastic followers.

The practices of monastic and/or lay followers in the worship of the deity.

Three stories/myths in which the deity played a major role

Three more stories/myths in which the deity was at least mentioned.

Any further information you would like to share.

Sources to locate more information on said deity to include at least two primary sources (original texts) and at least three more secondary sources, only one of which can be a website. (Sorry, I had strict college teachers, it may sound difficult, but once you get used to it finding sources becomes a little easier.) The purpose of this is to give people a reliable place to go to in order to find more information, you don't have to actually read the whole source if you don't want to.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: BOS Project 1: Diety

Djehuty,
    Kemetic pantheon,
    Origin of the faith - Ancient Egypt.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Djehuty.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	352521 Click image for larger version

Name:	djehuty07.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	352522

Djehuty was worshipped widely throughout all of Egypt. He was the protector of mathematicians, teachers, scribes, and whoever spreading and handling knowledge.

Thoth was said to be the son of Ra, Amen and Atum. And another said he was self created along with the goddess Ma'at.

His consorts are Ma'at, goddess of Truth and Order, or Seshat, patroness of recordkeeping, libraries and the foundation of building.

The ancient Egyptians recognized Thoth as the inventor of writing and were considered to have been the scribe of the Hall of Judgement. The “Book of the Dead” was written by him. He is the inventor of the hieroglyphs, which the Egyptians called medju-netjer, “Words of the Gods”. He was believed as the tongue or heart of Ra.

He appears in pyramids texts as an Ibis headed man, or taking a form of a full ibis. Sometimes Djehuty was associated with a baboon.

His festival “Lord of Heavens” was celebrated on the New Year. It is also appropriate to honor Him during the five Epagomenal days, due to His mythological connection with the births of the five deities honored on these days.
    His cult centre was built at Khemenu in Hermopolis.

Because He was considered to be the patron of wisdom, knowledge, and the husband of Ma'at, the way of Djehuty is described as reading a lot, sharing different kinds of knowledge, and every work that is connected to science. Besides, the way of Djehuty includes in itself the 42 purifications of Ma'at.

1. When Nut wanted to give birth to her 5 children, she asked Djehuty for help. He played a senet game against Khonsu - the moon god. Thus, he managed to win enough moon light for 5 days.
    2. It is said that Djehuty records / writes Yinepu's judgement in the end of the Ba's trial in the Hall of Two Truths. (A Ba is a part of the soul in Kemetism)
    3. During the fight of Heru (Horus) against Set, Aset tried to stop Heru at some point because of his exhaustion. In anger, Heru cut Aset's head off with his sword.
    Djehuty helped to unite Aset's head with her body.
    4. Again, During the fight with of Heru against Set, Heru lost his eye. Djehuty planted a new eye, that is now known as the Eye of Horus.

Sources:
    1. http://egyptian-gods.org/egyptian-gods-thoth/
    2. http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Djehuty

Sorry, I don't have a book about Djehuty and Kemetism in general, yet. My research is done 95% through the internet.
    Last edited by Shahaku; 09 Aug 2014, 10:13.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I'm actually impressed at the speed. I'll try to help with sources.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
        I'm actually impressed at the speed. I'll try to help with sources.
        Thanks. It took me a while. It's so hard to find a good book about Kemetism and / or Djehuty in Amazon and Ebay...
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Shahaku, I have just noticed. In my post about Djehuty, in the lind about his consorts - most of the line is black. Can you or one of the mods please fix it? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
            Shahaku, I have just noticed. In my post about Djehuty, in the lind about his consorts - most of the line is black. Can you or one of the mods please fix it? Thanks.
            Gleb. I think I've fixed it. But I'm on my phone so if it's not good I'll work on it when i get back to my computer tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
              Gleb. I think I've fixed it. But I'm on my phone so if it's not good I'll work on it when i get back to my computer tomorrow
              It's ok, thanks

Comment

This looks like a fun and potentially educational project. I'm trying to learn about some heathen deities, so this will be a good exercise. My first one is going to be kind of sad, because there's not much info on this deity, but future ones will be better.

Please correct me if I get anything wrong! Sources would be nice, too, because I'm always looking for more things to read.

Name: Sigyn
                Pantheon: Heathen/Asatru/Norse
                Location of origin: She's Norse, so Iceland. . . ish(?) (Someone help me out here?)

Art/images related to deity

Name:	sigyn.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	352523 Click image for larger version

Name:	sigyn2.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	352524

Sigyn comes from a culture of strong people who valued being courageous in the face of life's vicissitudes. They were (supposed to be) excellent hosts to one another, venerated their ancestors, and unfortunately, much of what they believed has been lost to us thanks to time and Christianization.

Where did they come from? Were they born of other gods, have they always existed?

There's not much about Her in the lore. She's named as Loki's wife and is the one who holds the bowl over His head to keep a serpent's venom from dripping on Him. Sigyn has to empty the bowl sometimes, though, and when that happens, Loki writhes in agony from the poison. Mythologically, that's where earthquakes come from.

Sigyn's name translates to "Victorious Woman". Or, if you want to follow Wikipedia, "Victorious Girlfriend"! "Victorious Woman" is probably more accurate. She's known as one of the goddesses of the Aesir.

You'll find mentions of Her in Thorsdrapa, Lokasenna, Voluspa, Gylfaginning, and Skalskaparmal.

That's all I've been able to find on Her that isn't Marvel-related.

Family if there is one.

Husband to Loki with Narvi and Vali as children.

Again, we don't know much. What's come down is Her role in Loki's binding.

Physical appearance.

Another not easy to question answer. The portrayals I've seen have been of a pretty young woman with long, usually blond, hair.

None that have come down to us.

No. Monasticism doesn't seem to be in the spirit of heathen religion anyway.

See above.

I've already talked about Her role in Loki's binding.

I'm sure there's some esoteric meaning behind it, but I haven't gotten far enough into the mythology to think about it.

Sources to locate more information on said deity to include at least two primary sources (original texts) and at least three more secondary sources, only one of which can be a website. (Sorry, I had strict college teachers, it may sound difficult, but once you get used to it finding sources becomes a little easier.) The purpose of this is to give people a reliable place to go to in order to find more information, you don't have to actually read the whole source if you don't want to.

Book sources (primary): Gylfaginning in the Prose Edda, Lokasenna in the Poetic Edda, Thorsdrapa

Other book sources (semi/scholarly): Norse Myths by Kenneth Crossley-Holland, Gods and Myths of Northern Europe by HR Ellis Davidson

Other book sources (non-scholarly): Feeding the Flame compiled by Galina Krasskova

Online sources: Sigyn's online shrine: Sigyn's Shrine

Just be aware that you're not going to get much more info than I've given you unless you delve into Loki's character a bit. Sigyn's Shrine, while being devotional in nature, actually expands on Her character quite a lot, but there's a TON of UPG. Take that as you will.

---

Next up: Loki, maybe. And maybe something about Bast. (I have a SHITTON of stuff you can read about Bast, if you know how to interpret what you're reading.)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                Thanks. It took me a while. It's so hard to find a good book about Kemetism and / or Djehuty in Amazon and Ebay...
                Books relevant to your interests:

Myth and Symbol in Ancient Egypt, RT Rundle Clark
                The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt, Richard Wilkinson
                Temple of the Cosmos, Jeremy Naydler (not an Egyptologist, but his work is sound)
                The Search for God in Ancient Egypt, Jan Assman (warning! A very tough read due to the author's style)
                Ancient Egyptian Mythology, Geraldine Pinch (not the "short introduction"; the other one)

Sites:

Ancient Egypt Online: Djehuty
                Per-Djehuty: Good info from I've been told, but never explored the site myself
                Henadology page: http://henadology.wordpress.com/theology/netjeru/thoth/
                Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Loki time!

I've actually found some more stuff to read on Him, but since I intend to start honoring Him pretty soon, I think I'll just condense what I know so far into this post.

I think I'm done for a week or so after this one.

Name: Loki (Laufeyson)
                  Pantheon: Norse/Asatru
                  Location of origin: Iceland. . . ish? Northern Europe-ish?

Art/images related to deity.

The last image was made in the early 1900s, btw. . .

Name:	loke2.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	352525 Click image for larger version

Name:	loke3.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	352526

I already mentioned the culture upthread when talking about Sigyn. I'm not sure how positive a place Loki had in His culture, given His reputation. To be sure once Christianization came around, He was painted as a Satan figure.

Loki's mother and father are Farbauti and Laufey.

Family if there is one.

With Angrboda, Loki's children are Fenrir, Iormungandr, and Hel. By the stallion Svaldifari, Loki, in the form of a mare, bore Sleipnir. With Sigyn, Loki's children are Narvi and Vali. As mentioned earlier, His parents are Farbauti and Laufey.

Loki may have been present at the beginning of the world when the first humans, Ask and Embla, were created. If so, He's known as Lodurr, but far as I can tell, nobody's been able to legitly connect Loki with that name. Take that as you will.

Loki's story has probably the most interesting character arc in all of Norse mythology. He starts off as a trickster who, over time, does some things so terrible the Aesir have Him bound. (How much Christianity affected Loki's character arc is better guessed by someone else.) A lot of Loki's stories involve Him doing something silly, or being captured, and having to do something harmful to the Aesir in order to get out of it. True to a trickster's nature, however, Loki and the gods usually get the better end of the deal.

It was Loki who got Asgard its defensive wall through trickery and who also almost lost Frejya, the sun, and the moon during the deal. Loki also mothered Sleipnir, Odin's famed steed, during this deal.

When Thor's hammer was stolen, Loki accompanied Thor (who was dressed as a bride. . . .) to the land of the giants to help Thor get the hammer back. Loki was also responsible for the kidnapping and rescue of Idun and the apples that kept the Aesir young.

Loki had many other adventures, too, and His children Fenrir, Hel, and Iomungandr caused much consternation in Asgard, with Hel being tossed down to Niflheim, Iormungandr flung into the waters, and Fenrir eventually bound when he grew too strong.

Loki also got the Aesir Gungnir, Mjolnir, Skidbladnir, and various other treasures.

As the mythological cycle progresses, Loki becomes a more negative character. In Lokasenna, He insults the various gods. Whether you believe these insults were true or not, they sure got Loki in trouble. He also helped Hod murder Balder (although Saxo's version of the story says Hod didn't need any help. . . and the mistletoe used for murder may have been a sword. . . ). It was one of these two occurrences that made Loki a marked god.

Loki was eventually caught in the form of a salmon. His son, Vali, was changed into a wolf, who murdered Loki's other son, Narvi. Narvi's guts were used to bind Loki until Ragnarok. Skadi placed a serpent above Loki that drip, drip, dripped poison onto His forehead during those times His wife Sigyn had to empty the bowl that She normally caught the poison in. Loki's supposed to be bound like that until the end of the world.

Physical appearance: I can't say much other than look at the images I posted. Loki seems to often be depicted in the archetypal "slightly nasty trickster" way, with the hooked nose, beady eyes, thin frame, etc. He also has scarred lips from when they were sewn together after He wormed His way out of a promise.

A lot of depictions you'll see today show Loki with red hair because He's been identified with fire for awhile now. Or you'll see the Marvel version of Loki. . . .

From the images, it looks like Loki has either very light-colored hair or dark hair, but artists take their interpretation.

Not that I know of.

No evidence of a cultus, but our records are pretty bad.

See above.

So, one day, the Aesir realize that the wall around Asgard kind of sucks. They want an awesome wall, a wall that's going to protect Them until doomsday. It just so happens that a giant comes by to do the job. Because he's a giant and giants are frequently not nice, the Aesir were nervous. Loki wasn't worried. He figured, hell, how is this guy going to finish such a big wall in the space of one winter like he claimed?

Loki convinced everyone it'd work out, since it was only a giant and his stallion (at the giant's request). Still, the Aesir were nervous, because They'd lose Freyja, the sun, and the moon if Loki was wrong.

Unfortunately, the stallion--Svadilfari--could move huge amounts of stone in a short time! By the time winter was almost up, the wall was near completion. The Aesir were furious. In order to save His--and everyone else's--hide, Loki transformed Himself into an alluring mare. Svadilfari gave chase and the giant couldn't live up to his part of the deal.

Meanwhile, Loki became pregnant. The result of that pregnancy was Sleipnir.

Another time, Loki, on pain of death, lured Idun out of Asgard, where a giant named Thiazi in the form of an eagle swooped Her up. Time passed and the Aesir began to grow old without Idun's apples. Loki was caught out, threatened, and agreed to go retrieve Idun if only He could borrow Freyja's falcon cloak. Freyja assented and Loki, in the form of a falcon, flew to Thiazi's place. Thiazi was out fishing, so Loki turned Idun into a nut, grabbed Her, and was just flying back to Asgard when Thiazi realized what had happened.

Thiazi turned into an eagle and might have caught Loki if the Aesir hadn't started fires near the walls. Loki darted between the flames, but Thiazi came crashing down.

Finally, at the end of the world, Loki will break free of His binds. The sun will be devoured. The earth will be churned up into the sea. Along with terrible beings such as Surt, Loki will attack Asgard. His children will kill some of the most important Aesir (like Odin). Loki and Heimdall will wipe each other out. Then the great tree Yggdrasill will shudder terribly and everything will be a churning mess of fire and water.

In the story of the theft of Thor's hammer, Loki plays the part of a bridesmaid, but He isn't a major character. He's also mentioned in the Voluspa, I believe, and I think He plays a minor role in some folk tales. (Haven't read them, can't confirm.)

Any further information you would like to share.

Loki's a super-complex god. Too bad we don't have more information about Him. He's definitely not an evil character like some people make Him out to be. In Lokka Tattur, for example, He saves a young boy. It's Loki who gains the Aesir Their most fabled treasures, such as Gungnir, Draupnir, Skidbladnir, etc. Without Him, there wouldn't be an awesome wall around Asgard. He did some crappy things, obviously, but that's what you get with tricksters.

As an underworld god, Loki sure isn't all sunshine and giggles. I read a lot of warnings not to reduce Him to the lovey-dovey god of silliness or god of "hawtness". He can be these things, but also so much more.

Primary: Gylfaginning, Skaldskaparmal, Hatattal in the Prose Edda; Thrymskvitha, Lokasenna, Balder's Draumar in the Poetic Edda; Lokka Tattur (a Faroese tale, actually)

Other book sources (semi/scholarly): Norse Myths by Kenneth Crossley-Holland, Gods and Myths of Northern Europe by HR Ellis Davidson

Online: A Shrine to Loki, His article on the Viking-History site
                  Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post

Books relevant to your interests:

Myth and Symbol in Ancient Egypt, RT Rundle Clark
                    The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt, Richard Wilkinson
                    Temple of the Cosmos, Jeremy Naydler (not an Egyptologist, but his work is sound)
                    The Search for God in Ancient Egypt, Jan Assman (warning! A very tough read due to the author's style)
                    Ancient Egyptian Mythology, Geraldine Pinch (not the "short introduction"; the other one)

Sites:

Ancient Egypt Online: Djehuty
                    Per-Djehuty: Good info from I've been told, but never explored the site myself
                    Henadology page: http://henadology.wordpress.com/theology/netjeru/thoth/
                    Oooooooo!!!! Thanks very much, Satu!! ^_^ Yay!

Comment

Hecate
                      Greek
                      Greece

Symbolism:

Ancient Art: This was a bit difficult, trying to find images from reliable sources.

Modern Art related to Hecate:

The original people to worship Hecate were the Greeks. They worshiped a pantheon of deities headed by Zeus, with his brothers Poseidon and Hades in close second. They were a city-state culture and each city-state had it's own government and policies. The Greeks were a warrior culture so strength, courage, and honor were valued among their men. Chastity and modesty were valued among women.

Hecate's father is generally accepted as Perses. Her mother is debatable. Most sources agree on Asteria.Scylla is said to be her daughter.

Hecate was born a Titan and was the last of the Titans to survive their fall. Zeus trusted her and in many ways she helped the Greek gods.

Originally, Hecate was depicted as single-faced. Her aspect as a triple deity didn't appear until much later. Sometimes she is depicted with a dog, serpent, and horse. She is often attended by dogs. There is also a common depiction of her carrying a torch, or three.

Festivals for Hecate were held in Greece on August 13th and November 30th and by the Romans on on the 29th of every month.

Most of what we know of her worship is from vague references. It is believed she was served my eunuchs in Lagina. Otherwise, she was most often seen on household shrines, called upon to guard homes and families.

One story in which Hecate played a partial role was the taking of Persephone. Hecate heard Hades stealing Persephone away and eventually informed Demeter where her daughter was taken. She then helped in Persephone's recovery and became her companion and escort in the underworld.

Websites:
                      l http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/gods...ateProfile.htm
                      l http://www.goddessgift.com/goddess-m...ess_hecate.htm
                      l http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.htm...words&id=13119
                      Books (I haven't read these, but they looked at least slightly more reliable than others I came across. Chances are I'll try to buy them eventually, but for now, I can't afford it.):
                      l http://www.amazon.com/Hekate-Ancient...eywords=hecate
                      l http://www.amazon.com/Temple-Hekate-...eywords=hecate

Primary Sources:
                      l http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/hesiod/theogony.htm (this is by far the best primary source by all indication)
                      l This website has a decently long list, along with all the specific verses, toward the bottom: http://www.neokoroi.org/religion/gods/hecate

ETA: Also, I'll get more stories in here. I just keep forgetting about this and wanted to post what I have.
                      Last edited by Shahaku; 23 Aug 2014, 11:21.

Comment

Working...
                      X