This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feathers

When I first started learning about paganism I started finding tiny feathers in strange places. One in my hallway, I don't have feather pillows, and one in my closet and one on the sidewalk at work. But I haven't found any in a long time. Could it be that there was a deity trying to leave signs for me, and then gave up on me when I didn't catch on quickly enough?

Re: Feathers

We live in a world of signs, symbols and wonders.

I don't know what the feathers mean - maybe something of great importance, maybe nothing at all.

The key question I would ask is : what do they mean to you?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I found one feather at work before I clocked in and I had a hard day, so I thought maybe that somebody was saying something like, I'm here with you, so don't let today get you down.

Comment

It's difficult to say that a given thing has any religious / spiritual meaning in an of itself.

You don't say how prolific birds are where your finding these feathers, so the finding may only mean there's a lot of birds. Now if all the birds are say yellow but your finding purple feathers then there might be more to it. But if all the birds are blue in color and your finding blue feathers then its probably odds on that you have a feather that is simply a feather and nothing more. Something lost by a bird as part of its normal life process. Even within the confines of ones home where there shouldn't be a feather doesn't mean such when you consider people enter and exit their homes all the time and a small feather is easily kicked up and carried in or even passes by us un-noticed as our attention lay elsewhere.

You don't say or suggest if you find these feather in a normal frame of mind or under other conditions. Heavy contemplation often makes us walk with our eyes down and seeing our feet, so you see a feather and suddenly its related or equated to some frame of reference that it otherwise would not have been observed under. Anger equally can make you walk with your eyes down and become aware of whats at your feet, does the feather then become suggestive of something that will trigger such an anger? Many times the answer to that question is yes because its the condition that made us recognize the presence of the feather.

Signs, symbols and omens I think or more often than not created by our own minds and needs at the moment than actually indicate a god / goddess or other spirit is trying to contact us. In my experience and SPG when it means something there is no doubt about it and you know for certain.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I was just wondering if anybody knew which god or goddess used feathers or birds and maybe I could research them.

Comment

Originally posted by H3athybaby View Post
            I was just wondering if anybody knew which god or goddess used feathers or birds and maybe I could research them.
            Messenger gods (between human and spirit worlds) and chthonic deities, such as Hermes, are frequently related to birds.

Try them, perhaps? Particularly since you feel that this is a form of communication...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

That's a pretty broad brush to address. Can't think of any god / goddess that doesn't have a bird connected to them. Going by feathers alone your looking for a needle in a hay stack for sure. That doesn't even touch upon how they maybe presented within a given pantheon or regional spirits. Thunder Bird is as much a divine figure as Zeus in Eagle form is a divine figure. Horus with his Hawk head connects to birds just as Artemis and her connection to Swallows I think it is. Athena and her Owl or Odin and his Ravens there are simply to many bird connections to use the presence of feathers as an indicator of a given god / goddess, or to go looking for that as the sole indicator of an originator in my opinion.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

A white feather is suppose to be a message from a loved one that has passed on. A black or grey feather could mean a slightly bad day. It also depends on the type of feather that you found. I have a list of feathers and their properties that I could check for you if you know which bird the feather came from.

Comment

When I first started learning about paganism I started finding tiny feathers in strange places. One in my hallway, I don't have feather pillows, and one in my closet and one on the sidewalk at work. But I haven't found any in a long time. Could it be that there was a deity trying to leave signs for me, and then gave up on me when I didn't catch on quickly enough?
                  The first thing that comes to mind for me is Nike, or Victory, the Winged Goddess. But of course, feathers could mean so many different things that it's hard to tell.

Comment

What are the feather colors are they all the same or different?

Comment

Working...
                    X