X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Obon!

Happy Obon Everyone!
    tumblr_inline_msskqh9Na31qz4rgp.jpg

Today marks the beginning of the three-day Obon Festival (13 August - 15 August)!

Obon is a festival which revolves around the reverence and honouring of one's ancestors. During these three days, the spirits of our ancestors return to the world and visit their families. To me, Obon is also a time for us to reflect on the many generations which have come before us, and the many more which will follow us. It is also a time to appreciate the family we have living with us currently.

It is customary, for someone celebrating Obon, to leave out food offerings to their ancestors at either a temple, shrine, or home altar. Here's my altar, and my offering of salt, tea, water and rice.
    011.jpg

So, do you practice any form of ancestral veneration? Will you be doing anything to honour your ancestors this Obon, or just in general? How do you think that we can best act in our daily lives to bring honour to our ancestors? I would love to hear your opinions and views on theses topics, and discussion is welcome outside of these topics of course.

"Walking, I am listening to a deeper way. Suddenly all my ancestors are behind me. Be still, they say. Watch and listen. You are the result of the love of thousands." - Linda Hogan

Re: Happy Obon!

Oh this is very much like The Day of the Dead for us Mexicans. I've done this in the past by setting out food for my father. He liked cream soda and donuts! I should do this for my mother this year. I'm totally not into Eastern religions, but this held some familiarity with me. As an atheist I no longer do rituals etc. But I like the idea of it in a familial way.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Agreed. I think it is good to remember those who came before us - even if it is not in a religious or spiritual sense.

Comment

Huh, didn't know about this holiday. Thanks for the info, I think that I shall look into it further as I have quite a fascination with holidays that honor the dead.

Comment

Working...
        X