This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate this feeling....

Guys, some of you know that I come to a Jewish family from South-Eastern Ukraine. My family arrived Israel when I was 3. I got Israeli education (I have 2 more grades left, but it doesn't matter right now) .
    So as a part of my education, I was sometimes given a bad opinion about all other people who are not Jewish. There is a term in Hebrew for these people: "גויים" (Read as - "Goim"). It's just a word for people who aren't jewish, without any offense. But the religious Jews (Not all, but at least the ones I lived with) don't like those who aren't Jewish. Mostly it's seen in religious people here.

And there is a small piece of it within me. It's still a little bit strange and unusual for me, to talk to someone who's not Jewish, to mix meat and milky things (it's forbidden in Judaism). And I f****** hate this feeling. You guys here in PF are super awesome, and I consider you to be my family. And I want to stop feeling the annoying feeling described above. Because disliking the rest of the world because it's not like one single nation is madness, and unfair.

Any help will be most appreciated and welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.
    I don't say anything against any kind of Jews, but it's just something that developed in their consciousness over the years.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: I hate this feeling....

Its as easy as not listening and making your own opinion. I was raised around a lot of racism and anti-semitism, I am not either of those things. If you are feeling it its most likely because you believe it in a small part of you, it's easy not to do something, just don't. If you find it hard to change the feeling, consider that its because its something you believe. Just something to think about.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I think any closed community ingrains not only identity but a measure of fear of the other, because the community can only persist for so long as boundaries are maintained. There is no easy path to drawing your circle to be more inclusive, but recognizing the effect the closed community has had upon you provides the opportunity to retrain those thoughts. Old habits of thinking and behaving have to be consciously addressed if you want to change them. Even after profound revelation the body and mind want to just keep doing the same things because that is easiest, it takes conscious and determined effort. Then, one day, it might take years, you will find yourself saying out loud and with confidence the truths you already know in your heart, and your elders will be confused at first, but then they will recognize the greater truth you have chosen to live and respect you for it.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

many religions and cultures "brain wash" their followers and people. It is known by anyone who grew up in a "ist" religion (racist, sexist ect.) and it can be hard to get out of that feeling, for me it took years. At least you are acknowledging the wrongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
          And there is a small piece of it within me. It's still a little bit strange and unusual for me, to talk to someone who's not Jewish, to mix meat and milky things (it's forbidden in Judaism). And I f****** hate this feeling. You guys here in PF are super awesome, and I consider you to be my family. And I want to stop feeling the annoying feeling described above. Because disliking the rest of the world because it's not like one single nation is madness, and unfair.
          Food for thought. When you judge somebody else for not being Jewish, you are then expressing an act of hypocrisy, because you yourself are not Jewish. I had to look at my reactions to other minorities that I was raised to dislike, and challenge my own ingrained beliefs in order to work past those beliefs. What you have to understand is it is not that some part of you believes those who are not Jewish are wrong, it is that you are following the way you've been trained to respond to others who are not apart of your immediate culture.
          Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Originally posted by InspiringRaine View Post
            Food for thought. When you judge somebody else for not being Jewish, you are then expressing an act of hypocrisy, because you yourself are not Jewish. I had to look at my reactions to other minorities that I was raised to dislike, and challenge my own ingrained beliefs in order to work past those beliefs. What you have to understand is it is not that some part of you believes those who are not Jewish are wrong, it is that you are following the way you've been trained to respond to others who are not apart of your immediate culture.
            Isn't he Jewish? Unless I misunderstood his first sentence he comes from a Jewish family in the Ukraine who relocated when he was 3.
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
              Isn't he Jewish? Unless I misunderstood his first sentence he comes from a Jewish family in the Ukraine who relocated when he was 3.
              Raised Jewish in a Jewish household but Gleb's personal beliefs are Kemetic.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                Raised Jewish in a Jewish household but Gleb's personal beliefs are Kemetic.
                Oh my bad I was thinking of Jewish as an ethnicity not the Jewish religion. I get what he is saying better now.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                  Oh my bad I was thinking of Jewish as an ethnicity not the Jewish religion. I get what he is saying better now.
                  Religion and culture have a tendency to blend and I think that's part of the issue. He's been raised in an environment where the religion is a pervasive part of the culture therefore certain thought processes are reflexive even if they also happen to be unwanted.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Sounds a lot like what you're feeling is transference primarily due to the environment in which you were raised.

I would suggest directly challenging those feelings by seeking out interactions with non-Jews as often as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                      I think any closed community ingrains not only identity but a measure of fear of the other, because the community can only persist for so long as boundaries are maintained. There is no easy path to drawing your circle to be more inclusive, but recognizing the effect the closed community has had upon you provides the opportunity to retrain those thoughts. Old habits of thinking and behaving have to be consciously addressed if you want to change them. Even after profound revelation the body and mind want to just keep doing the same things because that is easiest, it takes conscious and determined effort. Then, one day, it might take years, you will find yourself saying out loud and with confidence the truths you already know in your heart, and your elders will be confused at first, but then they will recognize the greater truth you have chosen to live and respect you for it.
                      Yeah, I agree. It might take a while, but I believe that this goal is achievable.

Originally posted by jaidynfaith View Post
                      many religions and cultures "brain wash" their followers and people. It is known by anyone who grew up in a "ist" religion (racist, sexist ect.) and it can be hard to get out of that feeling, for me it took years. At least you are acknowledging the wrongs.
                      Yes, it's sort of a brainwash.

Originally posted by InspiringRaine View Post
                      It took me a while to understand what you're saying here. And I agree with you too.

I find it strange to talk with people who aren't Jewish, because I didn't ever talk with someone outside my circle of communication (Israel). It's just a trigger in my body that needs to be turned off.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                      Sounds a lot like what you're feeling is transference primarily due to the environment in which you were raised.

I would suggest directly challenging those feelings by seeking out interactions with non-Jews as often as you can.
                      Thanks, Torey.
                      That's partly why I spend so much time here in PF.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Gleb, you've received such excellent advice here on this thread that I hesitate to add to it. But I know a little of what you're going through. I was raised in a family of witches who were also so racist (yet not homophobic) it was terrifying. My father wasn't like them at all, but my mother and her family were. So I can quite imagine some of the stuff you have to listen to.

I fought against their views (and their witchcraft tradition) since my teens. I know how hard it can be, how lonely it makes us feel.

But it CAN be defeated. The odd feeling might linger for a while, but that's just habit and conditioning.

Good luck. It isn't easy.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

The same thing happened to me with some other things I was raised with, and let say that the best thing I found for solving such an issue is to expose yourself to it. You have to change your reaction by removing the cause of it, and this is often due to a lack of proper exposure to the antithesis of what you have been taught to think.

Comment

Thanks very much for all your advices, they are really helpful. And yes, I agree here that the solution to this problemme is exposure to other people.
                            Thanks very much to all of you!! ^_^

Comment

This is an interesting article for you: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-9668865.html
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X