This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: South Carolina, I'm fucking eyeing you

Since I'm banned from smoking on an open public beach - which some find offensive - why not ban cussin' in public, which I, personally, find offensive?

And don't give me BS about health concerns. If you're 10 feet away from me, outdoors, I'm not causing you any harm.

If one insists on having one's selfrighteousness encoded in law, don't be too surprised when others do as well.

Maybe we should all just step back and ask if it's REALY necessary to be a prick all the time.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Since I'm banned from smoking on an open public beach - which some find offensive - why not ban cussin' in public, which I, personally, find offensive?

And don't give me BS about health concerns. If you're 10 feet away from me, outdoors, I'm not causing you any harm.

If one insists on having one's selfrighteousness encoded in law, don't be too surprised when others do as well.

Maybe we should all just step back and ask if it's REALY necessary to be a prick all the time.
      10 feet's too close for me. But on principle, I get what you mean. If something is legal, access shouldn't be a labyrinth for those who choose to partake.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Ahhh the American south. That lady who chose to include "fucking" in her particular grocery store prose should of known the risk, especially in parts of South Carolina. Personally I don't utter 'curse words' while at a mixed public setting here in the south, but feel it's a bit too much getting arrested for such. Of course as weird as it sounds, there are profanity laws. There's laws as well for spitting on the sidewalk and public indecency. The Baptist church holds much sway. I can recall one street in Virginia where stores were not allowed to sell alcohol and cigarettes for close to a decade because of the three Baptist churches. Finally the store owners banded together and got a particularly effective attorney then went to court. That's the kind of kooky shit citizens face when church controls state. Of course here we have that water head Pat Robertson and other Christian Taliban leaders always attempting to get their gnarled talons into matters of the state.

My advise to anyone thinking about visiting is to be aware of his or her surroundings. Example, if you're a person of color be extremely careful when strolling around in a "stand your ground" southern state. In certain isolated pockets of humanity cursing could get ye kilt, so can making eye contact for too long with some folk. The south is going through some changes. In parts of the south there's that late March 1861 feeling in the air. Rebel flags everywhere and Klan membership is way up. Mixed that with Jebus, alcohol, meth, guns, gigantic pickup trucks and inbreeding for a southern hootenanny an outsider will never forget.

Colorado or Washington state sounds good right about now.

Excuse me for the rant, but it's good to let it out sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Atehequa View Post
          Ahhh the American south. That lady who chose to include "fucking" in her particular grocery store prose should of known the risk, especially in parts of South Carolina. Personally I don't utter 'curse words' while at a mixed public setting here in the south, but feel it's a bit too much getting arrested for such. Of course as weird as it sounds, there are profanity laws. There's laws as well for spitting on the sidewalk and public indecency. The Baptist church holds much sway. I can recall one street in Virginia where stores were not allowed to sell alcohol and cigarettes for close to a decade because of the three Baptist churches. Finally the store owners banded together and got a particularly effective attorney then went to court. That's the kind of kooky shit citizens face when church controls state. Of course here we have that water head Pat Robertson and other Christian Taliban leaders always attempting to get their gnarled talons into matters of the state.

My advise to anyone thinking about visiting is to be aware of his or her surroundings. Example, if you're a person of color be extremely careful when strolling around in a "stand your ground" southern state. In certain isolated pockets of humanity cursing could get ye kilt, so can making eye contact for too long with some folk. The south is going through some changes. In parts of the south there's that late March 1861 feeling in the air. Rebel flags everywhere and Klan membership is way up. Mixed that with Jebus, alcohol, meth, guns, gigantic pickup trucks and inbreeding for a southern hootenanny an outsider will never forget.

Colorado or Washington state sounds good right about now.

Excuse me for the rant, but it's good to let it out sometimes.
          And don't forget the doomsday preppers, stocking their shelves with decades worth of supplies and planning to bury their guns because any day now the government, oh yes, President Obama "hisself" is a-gonna come a-knockin' at the door to confiscate them! LOL
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Klan membership is way up.

Actually, the Klan proper is barely puttering around on its last legs. Now it's mostly Neo-Nazis.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

If I were as rich as I am occasionally trollish then I would be strongly considering peppering the South with monuments to General Sherman. It's arguably a good thing I'm nowhere near rich.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post

Actually, the Klan proper is barely puttering around on its last legs. Now it's mostly Neo-Nazis.
                Perhaps in the Pacific Northwest and in the polls, but around here,,,

Comment

Perhaps in the Pacific Northwest and in the polls, but around here,,,
                  There's a lot of racist and white power groups but the Klan is not anywhere near the most powerful or numerous anymore. The Aryan Brotherhood is the big boy these days, the KKK is still around but they're mostly older men with family ties (Which is probably a big reason why they still have a presence in the south.) to the organization. It's kind of sad really, hardy anyone wants to dress up as a ghost and call themselves Wizard this or Grand that anymore.

Most of the younger racist asswhipes are either picked up by the Aryan Brotherhood (or hate group x, y, or z..) or are just content to be lone (racist) wolves.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Working...
                  X