This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Carolina, I'm fucking eyeing you

I have used the f word here for a reason. In South Carolina, if I were to use that word in public. Say shopping at the local Kroger with my kids, I could go to jail.

Tru story!

~'Stop squishing the f*****g bread': Mother of two is arrested at the grocery store after cussing at her kids

~Danielle Wolfe faces up to 30 days in jail for violating a city ordinance against swearing in North Augusta, South Carolina

~A witness says she asked Ms Wofle to stop swearing and Ms Wolfe responded by swearing at her

bbq sauce

Seriously? Why are these laws still on the books?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: South Carolina, I'm fucking eyeing you

.... That's probably the worst law I've ever seen enforced. Seriously?
    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Holy fuck. That's all kinds of stupid.

Comment

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice and say she deserved it. Towns can pass ordinances and swearing is by definition profane. It's no different than a noise ordinance . A town is allowed to ban a behavior which inconveniences and/or bothers others. There are many people who prefer not to hear, or have their kids hear, inappropriate language. Immediately one might think this violates the woman's right to free speech, but it's no different from someone playing loud music or streaking. If the woman was not in a public place then that's different but she's in the middle of a grocery store and someone was clearly bothered by it enough to have it reported. I do think arrest is a little much but I wouldn't be opposed to there being a fine for it. She did a behavior which caused a disruption and was considered inappropriate, then exasperated it by using the same language on the person who asked her to stop.
        Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
          I guess I'll be the dissenting voice and say she deserved it. Towns can pass ordinances and swearing is by definition profane. It's no different than a noise ordinance . A town is allowed to ban a behavior which inconveniences and/or bothers others. There are many people who prefer not to hear, or have their kids hear, inappropriate language. Immediately one might think this violates the woman's right to free speech, but it's no different from someone playing loud music or streaking. If the woman was not in a public place then that's different but she's in the middle of a grocery store and someone was clearly bothered by it enough to have it reported. I do think arrest is a little much but I wouldn't be opposed to there being a fine for it. She did a behavior which caused a disruption and was considered inappropriate, then exasperated it by using the same language on the person who asked her to stop.
          Lol. The fact that you are serious. Imagine me being in a market. I stub my toe on the shopping cart. I swear out mother fucking christ on a cheezit cracker. Off to the popo I go.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I think it's overkill to have arrested her.

I don't like hearing rowdy swearing in shouted voices - for instance - that you sometimes hear in pubs or movie theatres that is outright offensive and disruptive. But just the off-handed swear word? Getting arrested for it? That's just a bit silly to me.

Comment

There was an incident I read about many years back. A woman who peeped into her neighbors window and saw the couple inside having oral sex,the woman reported the couple and they were arrested for this act. The woman was NOT charged for being a peeping tom. From the story it was somewhere in the south.

There was a time when even your Private sexual activity was considered fair game for the law.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                There was an incident I read about many years back. A woman who peeped into her neighbors window and saw the couple inside having oral sex,the woman reported the couple and they were arrested for this act. The woman was NOT charged for being a peeping tom. From the story it was somewhere in the south.

There was a time when even your Private sexual activity was considered fair game for the law.
                That is wrong on so many levels. Arrested on the "eyewitness account" of one person with no physical evidence of the act? I find that hard to believe, but in the South - there are so many things that are backwards, I have to say I'm not surprised with the Bible-thumping prosecutors and judges.

Comment

That's stupid. I hate laws like this. Although many people find it offensive, you shouldn't be legally banned from being offensive.

Over here, it's illegal to flip people off. You can't go to jail for it, but you can be fined. It doesn't happen very often (the fining), but people still tend to reserve the middle finger for "hey, you almost killed me with your car!" rather than "You annoyed me slightly and I'm in a bad mood!" I think it's a stupid law, though. I don't care how offensive it is here (it's definitely considered more offensive than it is in English-speaking countries). I think it should be a right to be as offensive as you want, as long as you're not purposely inciting violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                    The reason I think this is wrong is because if giving offense to the majority is enough to violate a persons constitutional rights then whose to say they couldn't ban me from practicing my religious beliefs in public? Its a slippery slope. The behavior is offensive. It's not harmful.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Actually, this is unconstitutional and has been found so in several higher courts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.1214261700.no-cussingx-virginia-beach.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	352545
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

You have to think about people like Lenny Bruce who pushed the boundaries of language and the law. There was a show where cops were in the audience just waiting for him to use the F word...he played at saying it,but did something like "What the frog,hesitating on the frog part.) he did this over and over until the end of his bit,then said and I guess the fucking cops are waiting.....then after spending the night in jail, the attendance to his show tripled the next night.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

If they tried this shit in Jersey, the whole state would be locked up LOL
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

A bit of an aside, but I wonder if she would have been arrested if she yelled had nigger or faggot?
                            Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

America is full of stupid laws so many things they restrict should be a persons given choice

Comment

Working...
                              X