Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it a good idea to invoke Saint Michael?

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Theistic Luciferian

Is it a good idea to invoke Saint Michael?

I turned my life back to Jesus, and I don't believe in the Bible as the word of God, so I don't see any problem with using witchcraft. However, I mainly want to invoke Saint Michael so I can find out whether or not the Bible is accurate, what God's name is, and if demons are really against God (I think not, demon was taken from daemon which has another meaning entirely, but you never know) and if it's possible for any of them to be saved (I read there are demons that want to go back, and some deliverance minister believes they are capable of being saved due to one experience with one he had to exorcise often, although it turns out the guy was a fraud and never successfully exorcised any (they would pretend to be, then gloat while the client was driving home).

The main red flag in this line of thinking is would Saint Michael (or more importantly, Jesus or God) approve of me talking to angels this way? I know there are many Christian witches, but I have never read of any personal experiences with invoking angels, I've only seen videos on how to invoke them. I've tried praying to Jesus for guidance for something else before, but I can never seem to hear or see him so figured invoking could help.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Is it a good idea to invoke Saint Michael?

In this instance, how are you meaning the term "invoke"? I see it used often, and usually incorrectly...and I think most advice in this matter will depend upon that.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Asatruar
    Phrase
    Come join the murder, Come fly with black, We'll give you freedom, From the human trap.

Heres the deal J. If what you were looking for could be found here then the world would have found the answers long ago. There are millions of people trying to find out those things, some of the smartest minds on earth in fact. If we had that info sitting around here at PF I'm pretty sure it'd be out.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

Millions of people who consider themselves Christian, Catholic or some variant thereof, pray to saints & angels every day. If God was bothered by it, there would probably be a lot less people on the planet.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Theistic Luciferian

What I mean by invoking is doing a ritual where I invite Saint Michael to appear in an invocation circle. Although now that I think of it, if he wants to be visible, then he could very well make himself visible without any effort on the part of the one who calls on him needed.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

You're describing evocation not invocation.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by jcaternolo View Post
    What I mean by invoking is doing a ritual where I invite Saint Michael to appear in an invocation circle. Although now that I think of it, if he wants to be visible, then he could very well make himself visible without any effort on the part of the one who calls on him needed.
    Truthfully have never heard of any of the arch-angels being summoned in any sort of circle. However as Maskedone says what your describing is evocation vice invocation. I always remember it as In = inside or internal and En = outside of you yet enclosed in a circle.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

I think I'd probably pass on the idea. If you don't then be very, very careful about how you set up the summoning. Michael's employer has been known to hold grudges. I would not put it past the general of his armies to do the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Be exceptionally polite and make it an invitation and request, not a demand.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Polytheistic apatheist
    Phrase
    Let the light in

From what I understand, St. Michael is okay to at least contact. So you're probably okay reaching out to him at least.

For what you want, though, I'd be careful. I mean, how experienced are you with evocation? How much study have you done of St Michael and the mythos surrounding him? Have you spoken with those who work with him? Personally, I'd avoid trying evocation and instead go for a very polite invocation like MaskedOne recommended.

Personally, St Michael sounds like one of those entities you'd invoke or evoke in your senior year of Magician's University, if such a thing existed. Not that he's necessarily mean, but in the sense that he's pretty high up on the totem pole of high and mighty entities. He's apparently a prince of some sort, for goodness sake.

And why St Michael? If you look at his associations, I don't see anything about the information you want to know. Not that I doubt he'd know, but wouldn't it be better to do some research and look up a saint, angel, or other entity who's more directly associated with the types of information you want to know? I'm not overly familiar with the mythology of your religion, of course, it just seems to me like you might have more success approaching someone who actually patronizes your desired area of learning.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

As Satu said, if you're bent on asking an archangel, for this sort of thing I'd look to Gabriel, as he is the messenger. I sort of see that realm as closest to what you're looking for, as an extension of clerical duties and record keeping. Plus, there is also less ... aggression and harshness associated with him than Michael.