This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Describe your path

I'm not sure what to call it so I settled on witch.my belifs are very close to wicca except for I don't stand on moral ground quite that high.wicca also forbids some of the spells/rituals.I'm not evil I only do "black magic" with good reason.I see good and bad as opposite sides of a single coin nessicary and subjective.I worship the Mother Goddess and Father God as well as a few lesser god/desss.I see the powerful deitys as all part of either the god or the goddess's different aspects or personallities. The god and goddess are opposite sides of the universe makeing up the male and female halves of everything.their different aspects are both part of them and seperate.together they make up the superm creator which is the one.the one is the culmination of all that is was or ever will be.it is the universe it exists but does not. At least that's my belifs I also belive their are several astral planes and when we die we are reincarnated.
    Circe

Comment

I don't believe in any gods...and yet I believe in all of them. I'm a pantheist. I believe that the Divine is imminent...the universe and all within it is the body of what I amusingly call the Divine Principal of Underlying Reality (DPUR). But, since I'm also a pragmatist, I go with what works...and belief works. So, to that end, I believe in the anthropomorphic projections of ourselves that we put on forces we either do not understand or have no control over. I do not literally believe that there are divine beings that walk the earth waiting to sprinkle their blessings or wrath on unwitting mortal denizens...but I do believe that they are incredibly useful and powerful symbols to work with.

What I do believe in is the connectedness of all things and our ability to make associations and correspondences based on shared culture and history and, in some cases, personal preference. As such, I practice witchcraft of an elemental and nature oriented sort. I conduct religiously oriented rituals to mark the conventional Sabbats, though I do not celebrate many of them as the Wiccan holiday. Although I have...I started out my path as a Wiccan. I practice a religion and magic of the home and family.

I do not actively believe in any sort of afterlife or otherworld--if its there, its there...if its not, its not (I lean towards not), and either way it makes no difference to me. I don't believe in faeries, elves, angels, demons, vampires, etc except as historical and cultural projections of unexplainable phenomenon...but I do believe in the *something* that is beyond our comprehension and logic that we give these names. I believe in 'ghosts' of a sort--but that we have vastly overrated and overestimated the number of those floating around.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

My path is just walking outdoors looking at how beautiful this place I live in is. This universe may not be lasting forever, but I'm more than greatful for being able to look at it's beauty, and doing so is my path. Just love, admiration and studying the grandeur of this great place we live in.
        I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
        I became Abdishtar this spring.
        Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

and then maybe you can define it for me?

most of my basic beliefs come from wicca.. but i am defining them more the more i learn about other paths.. to me wicca has been the first steppinstone to finding my true path.
          pretty much short and sweet. (I'm still researching and defining it more) I believe all religions are the same. nomatter what you call your god's and goddess's they are all the same entity. i believe everything has its own spirit. rock and tree's to animals and humans.
          i dont knwo if it matters but i've found a new passion in crystals and gemstones. i have my own medicine bag full og crystals and gemstones and herbs to help balance my life and have since made 3 little bags for people to help them. and I was sooo happy when i was working on them ^.^ I have a list of people that i want to make medicine bags for. noone ever asked me to make one for them. i just want to help. and I believe it will...
          "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I'm still working my beliefs out at this moment. I still haven't reached Year and a Day, when I'm going to dedicate myself to my path, but I still con side myself fully Pagan.

I call myself Celtic Pagan, because that's the beliefs I feel most at home with. I'm a soft polytheist, meaning I believe all gods and goddesses are elements of the same God and Goddess. I generally pray to just The Goddess, but I might use a specific deity for some things.

Rituals... I have private rituals because I'm a solitary practitioner. I have small rituals on the Sabbats, but I don't celebrate at the different phases of the moon. My rituals are all over the place, I just do what feels right.

My patron is Brighid, because She is a Mother goddess and a triple goddess. I feel a strong attachment to children, and also to the triple aspects. I've felt Her calling me since I started on this path.

Comment

My friends call me a totalist. I kind of introduced a scietific explanation of the human mind to religious understanding. I beleive that everything is *real* in one sense or another. At the same time nothing is *real* in one sense or another. I beleive that gods are seperate entities, but that god is also one entity. That there are several faces of one god, but also that all of those faces are completely seperat and actually not part of one god... Basically I beleive that we see things as condratictory because, on a purely physical level, our minds can only contain so much information so we can't coinside two contradictory things into being the same.

I'm fond of Buddhism and their answer "Yes and no" to many questions. Is there a god? "Yes and no." Is there an afterlife? "Yes and no" That's from a Buddhism lecture I had on campus.

Asking a person to put all the religions together is like asking a normal three year old (not some prodigy) to put together a 1000 piece puzzle. They just can't do it. Understanding that, I'm not looking at the world around me and studying the religions that we do have to try and decide on which piece of the puzzle I like best. Having decided that, I'm pretty sure I will worship as that religion does and accept their diety/dieties as my own, knowing that I won't ever fully understand the whole picture, at least not in this life.

My current "projects" in this search are:
              -researching trickster gods and as part of a larger project of classifying dieties and spirits outside of pantheonic methods
              -creating a series of childrens books (probably just for personal use when I have children) covering the basics of many different religious beleif systems.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

My believe is that there are many energies ,spirits if you will, that guide events in the world. There are energies in everything from the earth we stand on to the the wind that tugs and nips at us. In order to better understand this energies I chose to give them the aspects of the Greek gods. To me this is how all gods came to be, when man discovered these energies they found it hard to worship and give praise to something not seen so they gave the energies aspects and personalities of themselves. I don't know the exact path I follow, and I really don't do anything in the way of worship except to sometimes meditate somewhere quite and full of nature.

Comment

[quote author=yukanaoe link=topic=135.msg3816#msg3816 date=1287321304]
                  I believe all religions are the same. nomatter what you call your god's and goddess's they are all the same entity. i believe everything has its own spirit. rock and tree's to animals and humans.
                  [/quote]

What about animism, what do you think about that? The spirit in everything reminds me of it.

I wrote some sort of description about my believes also to my introduction, but I guess it's okay to post here too. So I also believe, as yukanaoe above, that all religions are the same in that sense that they all try to approach the same divine in their own ways. From my point of view some of them are more original and some are more affected by the desire of power, authority, etc. (I consider nature based pagan paths to be those more "original" ones, and that's why i'm hanging around ) I recognize this is just my opinion which is based on my way to see nature as a representation of this divine, universal force, which makes the sun shine, gravity to exist, universe to born and maybe someday reborn and so on. I'm sort of attracted by the ideas of shamanism (especially Finnish, Siberian etc.), Finnish reconstructionism which has some animistic tendencies too, but the hard polytheism (which it seems to be) of the belief system has kept me away from it, and most recently pantheism which I still know almost nothing about but sounds quite interesting. Taoism and especially the concept of tao also sound interesting but we'll see..

I feel connected to this divine when I wander in the woods, touch stones, trees, feel the wind and the sun. I also highly respect the past generations and my roots, but I don't include them to my mainly improvised rituals 'coz I don't believe that our spirit remains in one piece after we die so in that sense they don't exist anymore but in our memories. I believe after we die our soul (or whatever you want to call it) goes into millions of pieces like our physical body and in that sense we reincarnate in many many different things and people.. (i'm not sure if that makes any sense.. Hope it does..)

Comment

animism? Hmmm... i shall look into it! thanks!!
                    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I'm a [hard] polytheist Pagan that has leanings towards Shamanism/animism. I believe in every God and Goddesses, that they are separate beings, but I don't honor all of them. I connect with the Egyptian and Norse pantheons. Set [Egyptian] is my main God. Balance is the key. There is no darkness without light and no light without darkness. I believe in an afterlife and reincarnation. I believe in faeries and ghosts.
                      -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

I'm kind of in a transition period. I have believed for so long that I was a Wiccan but now after having realized the differences I consider myself one less and less and more Pagan. I believe in the God and Goddess. I'm trying to not think of the God as the Goddesses consort as the Wiccan's believe but I kinda like the idea and it feels more comfortable. I believe all the goddesses like Athena and Hecate are personifications of the main Goddess. So if I was going to do a love spell (which I never would but if) I would call Athena but in my mind I would just feel like I was calling the Mother Goddess. I'm interested in Celtic Paganism but I honestly don't know whats different about it than normal paganism. (I was hoping maybe someone could elaborate ) I don't do spells or rituals very often and if I do they're unorganized and last minute but I'd like to change that. I'm just trying to live by the Rede and honor the Goddess and feel my way through. I celebrate Sabbats by myself (but hopefully not for much longer)
                        ~Earth My Body~Water My Blood~Air My Breath~Fire My Spirit~

Comment

What are basically my beliefs?
                          I concider myself to be Wiccan, which includes following the Wiccan Rede.
                          When it come to the choice of Deities, it userally the moon Goddess, and those related to Fae
                          As for rituals, it is basicly dealing with Earth, Moon, and Fairy magic.

Do I believe in the Afterlife or Otherworld?
                          I believe in the afterlife.

Comment

What Gods or Pantheon do you believe in?:
                            Well, I'm still a little iffy on this part.
                            I believe in spirits, and wherever an offering or prayer is concerned, I pray to or offer things to the "good spirits".
                            I am really interested in the Greek Pantheon, but I also believe that all Pantheons are really one in the same. Same gods, different names.

What rituals do you practice and for what purpose?:
                            Whenever I am in need of something (money or other things), I will offer those things to the good spirits. So, if in need of money, I will offer some coins to the good spirits to use in the spirit life. If in need of food, I offer small cakes or honey, etc. I also write requests on a piece of paper and if I'm in a hurry or don't feel like lighting a candle, I will leave it in the offering dish for them. If my request was fulfilled and it was a physical thing I can offer, I offer it to them. If it was a spiritual or emotional thing, I offer them flowers, incense, candles, etc. I basically believe they can help tip the scales a bit. I suppose they could be compared to Saints in the Catholic religion.

Do you believe in the Afterlife or Otherworld?:
                            I believe in the Afterlife. I believe in reincarnation, but not that everyone is reincarnated. I believe when someone dies, their soul can stay on Earth until they are ready to finally move on and either be reincarnated or just eternally rest.

I also believe in different spirit planes. I can't say I 100% believe in Faeries, but why not? They haven't been unproven. I am open-minded and take everything as it comes.

Comment

I am a Skeptical Panentheist. I call myself pagan only very loosely. I believe that the divine is by and large, in everyone and everything - but I'm also open to the possibility that there is, in actuality, no divinity at all. That said, I worship nature. Pure and simple as that. No fancy magic, no fancy rituals.

My Divine is the wind in my hair, the soil beneath my feet, and the sun above me. It is the trees and the mountains, rivers and oceans, rocks and fish and animals. It is at once both beautiful and deadly - none of this "an it harm none" business. My Divinity is indifferent to the suffering of life, just as it is indifferent to the joys of life.

The afterlife? In my mind it is one of two things: Reincarnation, or absolute nothingness.

Also, this:

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=135.msg2745#msg2745 date=1287093777]
                              I don't believe in any gods...and yet I believe in all of them. I'm a pantheist. I believe that the Divine is imminent...the universe and all within it is the body of what I amusingly call the Divine Principal of Underlying Reality (DPUR). But, since I'm also a pragmatist, I go with what works...and belief works. So, to that end, I believe in the anthropomorphic projections of ourselves that we put on forces we either do not understand or have no control over. I do not literally believe that there are divine beings that walk the earth waiting to sprinkle their blessings or wrath on unwitting mortal denizens...but I do believe that they are incredibly useful and powerful symbols to work with.
                              [/quote]

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=TaiganPagan link=topic=135.msg681#msg681 date=1286696889]
                                What Gods or Pantheon do you believe in?
                                [/quote]
                                No specific ... Just "something" ... I use a generic GOD and GODDESS ...
                                What rituals do you practice and for what purpose?
                                [/quote]
                                Not too many ... Mostly when someone I know needs help ...
                                Do you believe in the Afterlife or Otherworld?
                                etc...
                                [/quote]
                                Not sure ... Open to the possibility ....
                                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                                X