Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe your path

Eoghan

Re: Describe your path

Well -

Right now, my ancestors and nature are the center of my beliefs. I don't believe in gods, really. A large consciousness, sure. To me those are two very different things.

I do believe in magic, sort of. This is an area under constant change for me. I just know that when I do rituals to affect things outside of me, a small part of me believes that it could be possible. So, I don't dismiss that belief.

Although I really don't like the word 'magic', no matter how the hell you spell it.

um, I do incorporate the images of gods into my workings, but mostly just because I like what the stories represent. I'm perfectly willing to believe in individual polytheist gods, once they say hello. Until then I'll stick with my current 'big-moving-kinetic-pantheistic-transient-network-consciousness idea.

I don't believe in an afterlife, really. A lot of people think this works against my ancestral beliefs, but It doesn't. I believe they exist in my mind, in my heart. In my actions, and values. In my skin, bones, blood, hair, everything. So I guess what I really mean is I don't believe in another place that we go after we die.

haha, just trust that it makes sense to me.

and thats about it for now.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Radical Pagan
    Phrase
    Get s'more toilet paper.

I am first and foremost a Pagan. I believe that nature is everything and that everything is natural. We are part of nature, not apart from it. I believe that only trouble can be caused by casting one's eyes to the cosmos and ignoring the ground we tread on.

I call myself a radical Pagan because many of my ideas would fly in the faces of some of my more conservative counterparts. For example, I think social Darwinism should rule in most common sense cases (if that guy is dumb enough to try to ramp his motorbike over a fence and he hurts his junk, don't fix his junk so he can create stupid children). I think drugs are okay in the hands of responsible individuals, even for mere recreational use. When irresponsible people use drugs, they suffer the consequences.

I was highly influenced by Wicca, especially the writings of the Farrars. I observe, if not always celebrate, the Eight Sabbats as the life cycle of the Horned God. At times I observe the full and dark moons as times to honor the Moon Goddess in her varying aspects and possibly as times to work magic.

My beliefs in Deity are an odd cross between Duotheism, Polytheism, and Pantheism. I believe that the Universe as a whole is the Source of All Things, and that everything within it is divine. I am unsure at this time whether I believe that all the gods and goddesses are separate entities or if "all goddesses are one goddess and all gods are one god."

I have worked primarily with the Greco-Roman pantheon, but only a select few. Many of the gods of that pantheon strike me as very vain and petty, as though they were humans who were given godly powers.

I primarily worship Gaia and Cernunnos. I was called to them because I am very Earth-centered. We are of the Earth and the Earth is our home. I believe that, at this time, everything we need is right here. I think the reason that the exploration of outer space progresses so slowly is because it will be a very long time before we have anything to gain from it. I think that part of the "divine plan," so to speak, is that we here on Earth learn to live together without polluting or otherwise destroying our planet and ourselves before we go off trying to colonize Mars.

You could say that I am influenced by kitchen witchery as well. To me, one's home is a temple unto itself, and should be a place of peace and love, a sort of shelter from the chaos outside where you can rest and revitalize yourself. I very much enjoy cooking and working with herbs, especially for healing purposes.

I believe that pretty much anything is possible, but I remain skeptical about most things, including vampires and extraterrestrials. I think blind belief is foolish.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

I'm an eclectic urban Pagan and kitchen witch.

I started my path as a conscious Pagan when I was 10, mostly by discovering the standard FUTHARK runes and various other means of divination. Prior to that, I came from a relatively non-religious household, with free-thinking parents and a Satanic older sister, and a Santerian babysitter at one point. Although I was born during what Hal Sparks called 'the great witching of America' (the mid-70s), I'm not much of an 'occultist', and I had a lot of exposure to the New Age movement in the 80s, but haven't latched onto much of that, either.

Like many eclectics, I delved into all kinds of religions and spiritual technologies. I went from basic witchcraft and hoodoo to ceremonialism (with a hefty sprinkling of Crowley and chaos), into Norse-centric and Alexandrian Wicca, shamanism (mostly Siberian & North American varieties) and began developing my relationship with the Greco-Roman pantheon, namely Persephone, Hades, Dionysus and Ariadne/Pasiphae. Because of my interest both in herbalism and Paganism, when movies like The Believers and The Serpent and the Rainbow hit the movie theaters, I started studying Vodou, Santeria and the other African Diaspora. After a lifetime of feeling like I needed to work with many so-called 'dark' deities Who provided me with endless tests, trials and hard knocks, I've been revitalizing my experiences with the lunar Goddess, primarily Selene.

Philosophically, I'm pantheist (everything is sacred, everything is Divine), panentheist (the Divine is in everything), animistic (every living thing and some things that aren't, like certain bodies of water, mountains, rocks, etc., is imbued with a soul), a hard polytheist (to me, all Gods exist, even yours) and a reincarnationist. I believe in ghosts, spirits of places/natural occurrences and elemental entities, but I don't believe in demons or angels as anything other than the personified creative and destructive forces at play in the Universe.

I no longer practice ritualized magic, but I used to have spells for every little thing. Now I mostly rely on the premise that if the Universe wants to lend me a hand, it will, and if it doesn't then it wasn't meant to be, or it's not the right time. I've always considered myself a 'gray witch'. Magic isn't black or white, it's whatever it takes to get the job done.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2010

What Gods or Pantheon do you believe in?

I believe that the power exists, and always has. "Deity's" are lenses that we view the power through. People create an idea of an Deity and than that idea shapes the way the power reacts in / to / on the real world.

What rituals do you practice and for what purpose?

My favourite ritual is based very loosly on an idea I stole from a Sitcom version of Jewish Passover I saw once ( I think it may have been Seinfeld) where I hold a dinner part for the Goddess, The God, the spirit of "This Place" and the elements.
    When I feel my "Guests" have arrived I make them comfortable, I dish them up a (small) meal, I tell them the best jokes I have heard since the last ritual, I talk about my life since the last ritual, and then I ask my guests for advice (I do a few simple one question / one card Tarot readings).
    I find it's a really relaxing way to spend a few hours. I hope to run it as a 2 or 4 person ritual lone day soon.

Do you believe in the Afterlife or Otherworld?

I believe in reincarnation. Before i found this path I studied more generalised spirituality and had a few sessions of regression. Would like to do that again.
    I follow the Magpie path. "Oh SHINY belief" Yoink!

yellow dogrose

What Gods or Pantheon do you believe in?
    What rituals do you practice and for what purpose?
    Do you believe in the Afterlife or Otherworld?

I call myself an eclectic pagan because it somewhat describes how my understanding has evolved at this point. I pull gods and goddesses from different pantheons whenever one seems to have something to teach me. Currently I am primarily interested in Hecate and Kali. Gaia is always important to me, and my practice has been largely based in nature.

I practice various rituals, generally without knowing their purpose. I work as my intuition guides me and as of yet I totally don't get what I am doing. As far as conscious work, I use writing as a method of manifesting changes both in myself and my life.

I lean towards the belief in some sort of reincarnation. This is solely because I have a great number of memories that I can't possibly account for in my lifetime. I realize there are other possible explanations for this.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

I'm not sure what to call it so I settled on witch.my belifs are very close to wicca except for I don't stand on moral ground quite that high.wicca also forbids some of the spells/rituals.I'm not evil I only do "black magic" with good reason.I see good and bad as opposite sides of a single coin nessicary and subjective.I worship the Mother Goddess and Father God as well as a few lesser god/desss.I see the powerful deitys as all part of either the god or the goddess's different aspects or personallities. The god and goddess are opposite sides of the universe makeing up the male and female halves of everything.their different aspects are both part of them and seperate.together they make up the superm creator which is the one.the one is the culmination of all that is was or ever will be.it is the universe it exists but does not. At least that's my belifs I also belive their are several astral planes and when we die we are reincarnated.
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I don't believe in any gods...and yet I believe in all of them. I'm a pantheist. I believe that the Divine is imminent...the universe and all within it is the body of what I amusingly call the Divine Principal of Underlying Reality (DPUR). But, since I'm also a pragmatist, I go with what works...and belief works. So, to that end, I believe in the anthropomorphic projections of ourselves that we put on forces we either do not understand or have no control over. I do not literally believe that there are divine beings that walk the earth waiting to sprinkle their blessings or wrath on unwitting mortal denizens...but I do believe that they are incredibly useful and powerful symbols to work with.

What I do believe in is the connectedness of all things and our ability to make associations and correspondences based on shared culture and history and, in some cases, personal preference. As such, I practice witchcraft of an elemental and nature oriented sort. I conduct religiously oriented rituals to mark the conventional Sabbats, though I do not celebrate many of them as the Wiccan holiday. Although I have...I started out my path as a Wiccan. I practice a religion and magic of the home and family.

I do not actively believe in any sort of afterlife or otherworld--if its there, its there...if its not, its not (I lean towards not), and either way it makes no difference to me. I don't believe in faeries, elves, angels, demons, vampires, etc except as historical and cultural projections of unexplainable phenomenon...but I do believe in the *something* that is beyond our comprehension and logic that we give these names. I believe in 'ghosts' of a sort--but that we have vastly overrated and overestimated the number of those floating around.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010

My path is just walking outdoors looking at how beautiful this place I live in is. This universe may not be lasting forever, but I'm more than greatful for being able to look at it's beauty, and doing so is my path. Just love, admiration and studying the grandeur of this great place we live in.
    I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
    I became Abdishtar this spring.
    Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Pagan/totalist?

and then maybe you can define it for me?

most of my basic beliefs come from wicca.. but i am defining them more the more i learn about other paths.. to me wicca has been the first steppinstone to finding my true path.
    pretty much short and sweet. (I'm still researching and defining it more) I believe all religions are the same. nomatter what you call your god's and goddess's they are all the same entity. i believe everything has its own spirit. rock and tree's to animals and humans.
    i dont knwo if it matters but i've found a new passion in crystals and gemstones. i have my own medicine bag full og crystals and gemstones and herbs to help balance my life and have since made 3 little bags for people to help them. and I was sooo happy when i was working on them ^.^ I have a list of people that i want to make medicine bags for. noone ever asked me to make one for them. i just want to help. and I believe it will...
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    Ask me about my crippling shyness.

I'm still working my beliefs out at this moment. I still haven't reached Year and a Day, when I'm going to dedicate myself to my path, but I still con side myself fully Pagan.

I call myself Celtic Pagan, because that's the beliefs I feel most at home with. I'm a soft polytheist, meaning I believe all gods and goddesses are elements of the same God and Goddess. I generally pray to just The Goddess, but I might use a specific deity for some things.

Rituals... I have private rituals because I'm a solitary practitioner. I have small rituals on the Sabbats, but I don't celebrate at the different phases of the moon. My rituals are all over the place, I just do what feels right.

My patron is Brighid, because She is a Mother goddess and a triple goddess. I feel a strong attachment to children, and also to the triple aspects. I've felt Her calling me since I started on this path.