Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between the two?

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

What's the difference between the two?

Hi everybody!
    So I've recently thought about it and decided to post the question here: What is the difference between a Shaman and a Druid?
    What does each focus on? What is the purpose of each?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Re: What's the difference between the two?

There's a very large difference. As in... they are not even really in the same sort of equatable category of practitioner. Some aspects of Druidry MIGHT be considered shamanic in some circles, but that's debatable.

I don't really have the brain cells for a more in depth answer than that right now... and honestly I don't really know enough about Druidry to answer about what their focus and purpose is. My experience and knowledge lies more towards shamanism.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Druidry (or Druidism) is a subset of Celtic (and sometimes Celtic-ish) Paganism. What Druidry is/is not really depends on the group practicing it (more info can be found here). It may or may not include Shamanic techniques, and someone that is a Druid may or may not also identify as a practitioner of Shamanism.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    Rawr

Thanks very much to you both! The links was very useful, Thal!
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Sep 2014
    Religion
    Northern Germanic Paganism/Rokkatru

Hahaha I cant believe there's actually a thread here. I have this argument all the time with my boyfriend. He thinks there's some difference (thanks world of warcraft) and then theres me going "omg babe, druids are just celtic shamans!" But thats what I find attractive about shamanism, its a simple, foundational term that explains a core element of some spiritual practice. The word itself came from Siberia. If the word hadnt evolved into something more generalized we'd all be talking about russian shamanism (and I dont think that is the case).

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

I don't know a lot about shamanism (or druidry really).. but first impressions leads me to think that druidry/ism is more like a set of values/beliefs whereas shamanism is a practical technique.

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    Rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    I don't know a lot about shamanism (or druidry really).. but first impressions leads me to think that druidry/ism is more like a set of values/beliefs whereas shamanism is a practical technique.
    Yeah, I think so too.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

You forgot to say, 'Thanks, Captain Obvious!"

Sep 2014
    Phrase
    Don't turn around. That thing standing right behind you will only get pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    You're absolutely right, though. Druidry uses practices that are shamanic in nature, but the basic beliefs of those two paths are inherently different. A while ago I visited a site on druidry where the same question was asked, and there a druid stated that in itself there isn't a huge difference besides the basic beliefs. However, he also said that shamanic practices are far more primitive then druidic ones. Though IMHO that statement is very degrading towards the shamanic community.

- - - Updated - - -]

Well, I sound a lot like a college professor here, don't I? Sorry about that.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Hagazusa View Post
    ...However, he also said that shamanic practices are far more primitive then druidic ones. Though IMHO that statement is very degrading towards the shamanic community.

I wonder why that member said such a thing. It does sound degrading. Did he expand on that?