• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: afterlife question?

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
      What are your views on the afterlife?

How do you feel about the afterlife of someone who has commited sucide?

Does it effect anothers after life?

If the person was of a pagan belief how would their dieties feel?

Open for discussion im interested and seeing other peoples views on this subject. Knowing very few pagans in real life i typicaly hear a christian viewpoint.

- My perspective on the afterlife is a little convoluted. To put it simplistically, some stay in the afterworld and some don't. Whether leaving and living another existence is a voluntary thing or not, I honestly couldn't say.

-I would expect that those who choose to end their own lives would require more "down-time" to sort through their psyche, but I've never believed there was some form of punishment for suicide.

-As much as losing a loved one and trying to recover from that loss entails, absolutely.

-I can only speak for my own experiences and my own deities, but I have the understanding that my life is mine to do with what I want to. If I can't stand this life anymore, I'm free to take the steps to end it. That being said, even if I take those steps, there's no guarantee that my deities will allow my body to actually die. I have control up to a point, and if it's truly not supposed to happen then it's not going to.

I'm not condoning suicide, but I do hold a strong position when it comes to having the rights to our own bodies and lives. And as far as I've been aware of the concept, I've had no qualms about it with any other entities.

That being said, I also have some experience in crisis intervention counseling and I'm also a strong believer that suicide is definitely not a good solution in many cases either.

Comment

I understand suicide to be what happens when someone's pain is greater than their coping resources. The idea of them being punished for it horrifies me.

Comment

I believe in reincarnation. (I think that typically beings are reincarnated within their own species, but there can be rare exceptions to this rule.) I'm not sure whether or not I believe there is an ultimate end to the reincarnation cycle, where we become part of the infinite -- maybe there is -- but I do believe we are reincarnated into certain situations in order to learn lessons that bring us closer to the infinite, and notably not to punish or reward us for actions in a previous life -- I think each lifetime is a clean slate.

I don't think their afterlife would be affected, for two reasons. One, I don't think there is a punishment/rewards system built into the reincarnation cycle. And second, and perhaps more importantly, I don't think suicide is an inherently immoral act. It is a type of death typically resulting from a long illness -- losing a battle with depression is, in my mind, very similar to losing a battle with cancer.

I believe in the general creed of "do what you will but harm none", and self-harming actions fall into a sort of gray area here. I would tend to say that self-harming actions, though not necessarily wise, are not necessarily immoral either - especially when they result from mental illness, which is not a choice but a condition.

I'm not a polytheist, so I would find it hard to say.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post

Open for discussion im interested and seeing other peoples views on this subject. Knowing very few pagans in real life i typicaly hear a christian viewpoint.
            My views on the afterlife? I'll have to pass a court of justice, before Wesir (gr. Osiris), and if I pass it, my soul will continue to the afterlife, or the Duat - the divine world. If not, my soul will be eaten by the ammut.
            Ammut : __Ammut___by_LDA.jpg

If a person committed suicide? To be honest, I have no idea... On one hand, this person tried to escape the realty of the world. On the other hand, the person is a killer, because s/he killed him/herself. So honestly, no idea....
            How would feel the deities the person worked with? It depends on the deities. Each deity would react differently.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
            X