Thread: Age in Wicca

May 2013
    Religion
    Eclectic Wicca
    Aboard the Tardis in the Narnia of Tattoine
    Phrase
    Veni Vidi Vici

Age in Wicca

This is something that I've come across far to often and it bothers me to no end.

Being an Eclectic Wiccan, I find the religion to be very open and flexible. Something that every Wiccan has heard is the term 'Fluffbunny'. This is a derogatory term used to describe new and specifically YOUNG practitioners. While I have never been called this directly, the over all idea, has been used to describe me in the past. I've been Wiccan for two years now and I by no means think I'm an expert. I began at 16, and I'm now 18. I think that an issue that needs to be addressed is the judgment in our path due to it's diversity. Now normally I hate bringing up all these negative topics but I do think it needs to be addressed. I just want to make it clear that in terms of this actual forum, I haven't really come across this, but I have in other places. Most of this is due to my age and shorter experience in the path.

Phrases:

"I've been practicing longer than you've been alive" This was actually said to me, and it's probably my favorite on the list.

"You don't even know the basics. You're so close minded." Ironically, this girl was only 2 years older than me. The reason for this was because I didn't feel the need to say 'Merry Meet' to everyone I see. I don't know either, but this is a true story.

There are more instances, that I can't quote off of the top of my head.

I know I'm not the only person with these encounters and I think that it needs to be addressed. It's not okay for Wiccans to tear each other down in this way and I will say I'm not totally innocent. I have thought this about new practitioners, and it's still wrong.

Again sorry for the negative content.

Blessed Be )O(

-Serria

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Re: Age in Wicca

Let me preface this with I am not now nor have I ever been Wiccan, but especially a self-dedicated / initiated Neo-Wiccan.

In most instances Fluffbunny is applied to anyone regardless of age or pathway. In many instances it's actually more applied to New Age practitioners who see everything as white light, happy happy and joyful joyful. Ones who are shown, taught or otherwise instructed the proper method based upon a given lineage or practice the right way to do things but refuse to grow.

In truth in my experience most of your references are what we used to call playgans. Teens or early twenty somethings that discover one book, suddenly think they are a high priest or priestess and have the total knowledge of nothing. Most often Neo-Wiccan and self dedicated / initiated into some high uber powerful person who suddenly feels qualified to form and run a coven and believe they can guide and instruct a novice in the pathway.

You say your 18 by most coven standards I've been exposed to you'd just now be given your observation period and maybe, I say maybe, accepted as an acolyte within an established coven. That would be a limited period of observation before you'd start your year of study and guidance for acceptance and initiation into the coven. A trad situation probably even longer for acceptance as you'd have to prove yourself and your dedication to the training. That and especially so to the willingness of following the guidelines and specifications of the person, coven, group that is over seeing your training and then pass through the first initiation and mystical aspect of the process.

It's sort of funny Merry Meet really jumped off with Silver's book along with Blessed Be, or Merry Meet, Merry Part till we meet again. Though I seem to recall DJ Conley and Edain McCoy doing some of the same stuff in the late 90's early 2000's.

But like I said they never tried to get me into their group and I never tried to get them into mine. But we sure talked and compared / contrasted things.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Some people tend to be competitive.

If they can't snuff you for anything you do, they'll try to snuff you for what you have no control over.

Age works, for anybody older than you who has this tendency.

Try sticking out you tongue and making fart sounds - that's the response such things deserve.

Besides, it's fun.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Aug 2014
    Religion
    pagan i dont care for labels or titles

Age does not determine a fluffybunny practice to me nor do i make practice of passing judgement on anothers knowledge/dedication of their craft. A good friend younger then me by a couple of years will take my know and wisdomledge and accuse it of fluffybunniness. Her spirituality is her birthright her knowledge and wisdom is amazing. Your youth is a blessing many wont realize despite your best efforts thats just the hinderence of growing older we underestimate the intelligence and insight younger generations have to offer

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism & Demonolatry
    Phrase
    Astra inclinant, sed non obligant

I've never really seen Fluffybunny applied to specifically young practitioners either - but as has been said, mostly to New Age types who are a bit stereotypically "white light and love for all".

But age discrimination can come into play regardless of your path. It happens in the workforce, too. It's not something you should worry too much with IMHO. You can't stop it from happening, but I'm sure it's frustrating.

I never think of age in regards to inexperience or lack of ability. In fact, there are many young practitioners far more versed in energy manipulation than so-called "elders". Unfortunately, many assume that "young" means "inexperienced".

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Try it from my end..> I'm usually called a cussed old bat
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Try it from my end..> I'm usually called a cussed old bat
    Oh come on Mrs P. You're batty for sure, but you're an elder in my books!
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Apr 2005
    Religion
    Hedgewitch

I'll agree with what a few others have said, the vast majority of the time I see someone calling another fluffy it's not really because of age (although I don't doubt that happens on occasion), but because they're either one of those only love and light all the time people (and more specifically, usually one who is insulting to anyone who is not), or, perhaps more often in my experience, to describe someone who is willfully ignorant. It's not just that they don't know something, or have limited experience, it's also that they refuse to learn. That's not something limited to age, or even to experience. Thankfully in most of the communities I've been in there's not a real tolerance for people who attack or mock someone just because they're new to their path.

All that said, I'm not a fan of the term fluffy, fluffbunny, or whatever, and I don't use it myself. If there's an issue with something someone said or did, then I'd rather be specific about it instead of just saying they're fluffy or whatever, since not everyone does agree on what that means.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Theistic satanist/occultist.
    Phrase
    i am what i am and what i am is not your problem

I've never really been called that . I don't see why people think age and inexperience go hand in hand, I'm sixteen now and I started playing with witchcraft and energy manipulation at six years old it was something that came naturally to me that time was also when I summoned my first entity didn't know anything about what I was doing and it was all by chance . Now this said entity helped me learn my craft how to sense and see energy how to do some things I still can't explain and by ten years old it left and the last thing it said was gain more knowledge which lead me to the paths I walk now . So now I'm sixteen I've practiced witchcraft going on ten years and people still think I'm inexperienced but I've just learned to ignore them cause in the end I'm stronger then they will ever be .

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

Quote Originally Posted by Torey View Post
    But age discrimination can come into play regardless of your path. It happens in the workforce, too. It's not something you should worry too much with IMHO. You can't stop it from happening, but I'm sure it's frustrating.
    This. It's not specifically a spirituality thing. But more of an age-discrimination in general thing. It wouldn't matter what you did, what you believed, how you dressed, etc... when it comes to certain people and their cognitive workings, it's just going to happen and they're going to find an outlet for it. It's an issue with them, not with you. All you can control is yourself.