This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my cat is..... abnormal

my cats name is mei (may) and she loves to nibble on my fingers and prefers death by eating plastic bags or duct tape, she is a year old had her since 8-7-14 any explainations

Re: my cat is..... abnormal

I don't know, although I do know it's common for them to chew plastic. I suspect it may have something to do with the smell - we can't leave any plastic bags out because our cats will pee on them... every time.

The finger nibbling may have something to do with early nursing trauma or something along those lines. One of our cats constantly wants to lick fingers, and drools like a fountain while doing it.

This is just speculation, though.

(My daughter's cat steals pieces of bread, and hides them around the house. The previous owners didn't bother to feed it, or, when they did, they'd give it whatever they had around, like beans or noodles, so it kind of developed the habit of fending for itself within the house)
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My cat athena did that and chewed up my blinds she was like a puppy. I put bitter stuff on the stuff she likes to chew on to curb her habit.

Comment

Cats just do "weird" things. It's what they are, like puppies and ducks and ... humans! She'll likely grow out of it, and if she never does then just learn to work with her on it. We never left any plastic bags out when I lived with cats because they have this tendency of thinking they're the most awesome play-things in the history of the planet and... plastic + air breathing animals doesn't tend to work out well. Just keep the environment safe.

Also, on the finger chewing thing, make sure you wash your hands after handling any kind of food/plant.

Comment

I've got three female cats, and each one has it's own oddities, and behaviors that I've not come across in any of the multitude of cats I have known throughout the years.

Anubis, my big tubby alpha cat, has this obsession with plastic bags like yours, but not for eating. She will take any opportunity that she can to lick them. Then again, that extends to any smooth substance such as glass or highly polished wood, but plastic is her favorite. It drives me insane because the sound of her rough tongue on the plastic will wake me from a dead sleep and just seems to carry through the entire house.

Sheriti is a little calico. Her favorite activity involves racing from one end of the house to the other, then leaping up as high as she can onto a door-jam and grabbing hold. She'll hang there, claws in the wood, just looking around like nothing's unusual for a few seconds, before jumping down to do it all over again. Though, once in a while, she'll hold tight for a few minutes.

Nephthys is my little old lady, who likes to rub the corner of her mouth against your arm, hand, foot, nose, forehead, or any other body part she can reach in such a way that she scrapes her teeth along your skin.

Comment

Originally posted by jaidynfaith View Post
            my cats name is mei (may) and she loves to nibble on my fingers and prefers death by eating plastic bags or duct tape, she is a year old had her since 8-7-14 any explainations
            Finger nibbling is not that unusual. Eating plastic bags (and other odd things) we call 'pica', and it can be potentially life threatening because plastic is one of those things that has a high chance of getting stuck and causing a bowel obstruction.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
              Eating plastic bags (and other odd things) we call 'pica', and it can be potentially life threatening because plastic is one of those things that has a high chance of getting stuck and causing a bowel obstruction.

Don't you think most cats just chew, not eat, plastic? My cat loves to gnaw on my shower curtain (it has SO many holes now) but he doesn't eat any of it. He also chews up headphones.

But I'd have to say that's not particularly unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                Don't you think most cats just chew, not eat, plastic? My cat loves to gnaw on my shower curtain (it has SO many holes now) but he doesn't eat any of it. He also chews up headphones.

But I'd have to say that's not particularly unusual.
                Chewing is relatively normal, but eating is not. The OP said that her cat eats plastic and asked for possible explanations. Pica is a common enough syndrome in cats that we actually have a term for it, but it's not common enough to be considered 'normal'. There's a big difference between chewing on random things, and seeking out and consuming odd things.

Comment

Oh right people get Pica too...soap and paper and crazy stuff. I think sometimes people use the term "eat" when they mean "chew" when it comes to cats...lots of them chew plastic. Just trying to clarify.

Comment

Is that the thing where people "Eat" dirt or chalk and other weird stuff?
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      Is that the thing where people "Eat" dirt or chalk and other weird stuff?
                      Yep. I read somewhere that pregnant women sometimes want to eat laundry soap.

I only wanted Cheetos, though I suppose those aren't really food either.

Comment

H'Roe ate 10 lbs of apples each week, and went in the garage to sniff wet cement while preggo.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

While I am not a cat, I had a thing for sniffing chalk while preggo.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

no rowan she eats plastic my mom pulled two inches of a plastic bag out of her throat the first week we had her

Comment

Working...
                            X