Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brownies and Fairies and Gremlins ... Oh My!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brownies and Fairies and Gremlins ... Oh My!

I thought this might be a fun thing to talk about, and since I didn't notice any other threads of a similar nature, I decided to create one. I also felt that since homes tend to be very common places for such beings to hang out, this was as good a place as any for it.

Do any of you happen to have stories, experiences, etc regarding live-in boogies?

At my home, there are two areas that I am convinced house huldufolk. The first is a rather gnarled and twisted bush that has always been there for as long as I've been familiar with the property. (Eight years ago, I bought my grandparents' home after they had passed, and they had lived here for 60+ years.) While for the most part it appears to be dead, there are a few times of the year that it springs into full greenery, and occasionally I've caught movement around it's base out of the corner of my eye. One evening, coming home late, I saw something small and obviously bipedal dart across the street and dive toward the bush where I could no longer see it.

The other location is a very large patch of forsythia along one side of my property. I've tried quite a few times to cut it back, as it has this habit to want to take over as much of the area as possible, but have resigned to simply keep it only marginally under control. Every time I've made the attempt to cull it, that evening very odd things have happened in the house. The most memorable was when the smoke detectors started chirping in the middle of the night. At first I had thought it was due to a failing battery, but the sound wasn't right. It was more as if the "test" button was being pressed, and it wasn't just one detector, but all three in the house, each going off after the other. Frustrated, I decided to take the batteries out (including the little emergency one, like a watch battery), still trying to convince myself that that was the problem. Soon after going back to bed, they AGAIN were chirping. This went on for about a minute or so, then stopped.

Last but not least, about this time last year, shortly before I had gotten married, my now wife was here home by herself while I was working, and swore that she heard something running around in the attic. That in and of itself wasn't unusual, as I have three cats and I think sometimes a squirrel or some mice get into the house. But she said that the cats were all sitting here with her, and then she swore she heard some laughter.

Nothing bad has ever happened, no negative feelings, no harsh energies. It's just one of those things that I've come to learn to live with in this house. From time to time I'll simply "forget" to put always some leftovers from dinner or leave a little bit of juice or milk in my glass when I go to work or turn in for the night.

So, those are my stories. How about yours?

Re: Brownies and Fairies and Gremlins ... Oh My!

I have never seen one but if i do it will certainly be a blessing

Comment

Where I used to live in the backwoods in Louisiana, one particular place in the forest down the road from our house was certainly saturated with spirits. It was obvious - one side of the road was dark and dead calm - no birds sang, nothing stirred - but the other side of the road was alive and just your average North American forest.

My grandpa used to have to go and sometimes cut firewood from the "bad" side of the road. Because we tried to upkeep an old homestead which was located down there as well, we'd often have to take the ride-on lawnmower or the bushhog to cut the tall grass. Be it a chainsaw, tractor, truck, car, lawnmower, etc. - without fail, it would always inexplicably cease to function. All electronic or mechanical devices would find themselves kaput no matter how new or looked-after they were.

Then this entity, which I called a gremlin, followed my grandpa home one day after finally managed to get his ute started back up. It either stayed in the house or activated another entity in the house because strange things began to happen. My grandma would get knocked in the head with an invisible hand, the door to the kitchen was kicked so hard that it bulged the frame (I was standing there watching it), I heard strange laughter in the middle of the night and various objects would go missing (for example, my Aunt's brand-new just-opened pack of cigarettes was completely empty only to have a previously empty pack that I'd thrown into the rubbish suddenly be full of cigarettes), etc. It wasn't malicious, just mischievous. I don't know if it's still there or not - but it was still there when I moved.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
        I have never seen one but if i do it will certainly be a blessing
        I have never seen them - but I like pictures of them!

Comment

I'd be interested in trying to invite a Brownie or other helpful spirit to my home. Always been a fan of the little guys.
          White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
          sigpic
          In Days of yore,
          From Britain's shore
          Wolfe the dauntless hero came
          And planted firm Britannia's flag
          On Canada's fair domain.
          Here may it wave,
          Our boast, our pride
          And joined in love together,
          The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
            I'd be interested in trying to invite a Brownie or other helpful spirit to my home. Always been a fan of the little guys.
            Me too. I dunno if there would be any around here though. The whole town is so temporary and transient. It's had major changes about 3 times in 40 years and theres noone old here. Unless some came with some families and stayed around I just cant imagine any being here. Most of the houses are empty, and even the lived in ones have usually been empty at some point in the past 5 years.

This town has a spirit of it's own. Its quite interesting. But brownies? No idea...
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              Me too. I dunno if there would be any around here though.
              I'm sure there's something around. The land itself has been there the entire time, and there have always been stories of things that live in mines, such as knockers and bwcas. (Forgive my googling of your location) Especially with the connections that Australia has with Ireland, it's not so far off to think that those immigrants would have brought over their little "helpers" as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post

I'm sure there's something around. The land itself has been there the entire time, and there have always been stories of things that live in mines, such as knockers and bwcas. (Forgive my googling of your location) Especially with the connections that Australia has with Ireland, it's not so far off to think that those immigrants would have brought over their little "helpers" as well.
                I've never thought of what might live in the mine... good point! I don't know how many Irish made it up here, but its an interesting thought.

And don't worry about the google. I'm not worried
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Well, last night I had another sighting, and this time inside the house. In my main room, there is a stairway that leads up to a small bedroom and also the attic. To make things more ascetically pleasing and to help with heating and cooling, about halfway up I have a thermal curtain. While sitting here watching a movie, one of my cats started to meow loudly, so I glanced over to see her looking up at the stairs. At that moment, I saw something climb up the curtain, hop onto a ledge, then dart behind it. It was relatively small, maybe about the size of my fist, but from the cat's reaction I'm pretty sure it wasn't a mouse, though maybe just to be sure I'll be buying some traps today.

I'd like to think that it was just the local huldu.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                    you could always try. faeries like certain plants you could grow them a garden.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
                      you could always try. faeries like certain plants you could grow them a garden.
                      Do you maybe have a reference link or something to some good info on what types of plants? Sometimes it's difficult to sift through all the crap on the internet... I'd be very interested to read up a little.

Comment

That was in a book. Umm I would have to look around a bit. I cant think of it off the top of my head.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not tried this put I read it in a book which one cant remember.

3 parts Rose Petals
                        2 parts yorrow
                        1 part cinnamin
                        3 parts cinnamint
                        1 part nutmeg
                        1 part bur
                        1 part mugwort

Grind herbs manualy put handful into pot strain before drinking. And drink before encounter. Return unused portion to the earth.

Once again I have not tried.

Comment

Working...
                        X