X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utah decriminalizes polygamy!

Polysauce

To be honest, I'm glad for them. I don't have a problem with how adults want to marry other adults. More power to them.

What say you?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Utah decriminalizes polygamy!

Yup, good show on the judge's part.

I think the main protest against polygamist sects was because of forcing marriage on underage girls. If it's consensual adults, who cares?
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

As long as its consenual adults who cares. To each their own as long as no harm is done

Comment

That's rather progressive! I agree with the consenting adults theme.

Comment

Same. As long as consenting adults, whatever. Good for them.
          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
            Same. As long as consenting adults, whatever. Good for them.
            Yep. That..
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I've never figured out how it can be illegal in the first place. I mean, he's not legally married to all of them...he's religiously married to them. So, what's the big deal? They aren't all four getting a tax break together.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I think the legality come into effect when you factor in common law marriage. Depending on the state, cohabitation can constitute marriage after a period of time. I understand the government wanting marriage to be between two people for tax purposes. But what a church does and what is recognized by society has little to do with that. I don't like the interference.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Now does this apply only to the Mormon religion or can a Utah woman of any faith have as many husbands as she wants?

Comment

Originally posted by Atehequa View Post
                    Now does this apply only to the Mormon religion or can a Utah woman of any faith have as many husbands as she wants?
                    Relgious freedom should apply to all relgions. So i would say yes then a women can have as many husbands as she wants

Comment

She can cohabitate with as many men as she wants and take part in as many religious marriage ceremonies as she wants and her faith will support. This ruling doesn't (from what I'm seeing in the article) compel the state to acknowledge more than one marriage and it does not grant the ability to compel clergy members of beliefs that only acknowledge monogamy to provide services to people breaching their tradition.

Short version, Utah cannot compel a Pagan priestess not to perform ceremonies on behalf of one woman and multiple husbands. Equally, it cannot compel a Catholic priest to perform the same ceremonies.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        ~Polygamy effectively decriminalized in Utah as judge strikes down ban in victory for husband and his FOUR wives who appear in TV show ‘Sister Wives’

~Judge rules banning cohabitation violated religious freedom of the Browns

~Kody Brown and his four wives appear in the TLC reality show 'Sister Wives'

~Family sued the state after they were threatened with prosecution

~Utah Attorney General's office say they intend to review the ruling

~Browns are yet to decide if they will move back to Utah from where they fled

Polysauce

To be honest, I'm glad for them. I don't have a problem with how adults want to marry other adults. More power to them.

What say you?
                        So, I think there's two facets to this. Legislation and social effect. I can't even comment on the legislation side. I have no idea. What a messy web. Most people here are commenting on the social side anyway.

Gonna go against the grain here and say I'm disappointed tbh. Mainly, I don't like that polygyny is the only form of polygamy practised by Mormon fundamentalists. In these kinds of relationships, it seems to be that each woman is "married" to the man, but the women aren't connected in the same way. It creates an imbalance of power because all of those women rely on that one man to fill a role, but the man could do away with any one of the women. It's too patriarchal for my liking.

Anyway, if all of those women find it in their hearts to share their man, congratulations to them. I'm jealous and possessive in love.
                        Last edited by Azvanna; 29 Aug 2014, 22:03.

Comment

Because I want to clean up after two men.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            Because I want to clean up after two men.
                            Oh come now :P

Comment

Oh come now :P
                              Seriously. Think about it. I would have how many men to cook, clean and tend to? No thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X