Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Vote for Independence

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Scottish Vote for Independence

Is anyone following this? If so, what do you think about it?

For those who aren't in the know, Scotland will vote for its independence on September 18.

I'm a total outsider, but I find the whole issue really interesting. It's not the first region to have a referendum for independence, but I think that if it wins, it could have some interesting implications for other separatist regions.

I also find the debate around Scotland itself really interesting.

Maybe I should have put this in debate, as there are a few UK-based members here, but I thought that it would make a better discussion, as most members are scattered around the world.

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Asatruar
    Phrase
    Come join the murder, Come fly with black, We'll give you freedom, From the human trap.

Re: Scottish Vote for Independence

I'm a personal No to the campaign, simply because currently the Quebec separatists are chomping at the bit to see how the Scots make out, and will inevitably use a Scottish victory as ammunition for their campaign. However I must say I hope whatever is best for Scotland happens for Scotland. I'm sure we can deal with the separatists here either way.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Christian, worships Yahweh and Jesus, but doesn't care if you don't.

I don't think Scottland really knows the full consequences of what its doing. It keeps acting surprised when the rest of the UK points out things like that they wont be able to use the pound as currency anymore... Since they won't be in the UK. Economically it won't work out as well as they are hoping either since their exports won't be backed by the pound and the UK's international weight. They can do what they want, but I don't really think its a good move for them.

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Singularitarian
    Phrase
    If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    currently the Quebec separatists are chomping at the bit to see how the Scots make out, and will inevitably use a Scottish victory as ammunition for their campaign.
    Quebec separatism is interesting politically because of the First Nations peoples. How would that work?
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Aug 2013
    Religion
    Pagan

I'm in Scotland and I'm voting yes. I'm doing so because I want our country to be able to run itself, not be run by another country's government that doesn't know much about living in Scotland and doesn't care either. I also want us to get the government we vote for - we didn't vote Tory but that's what we've got anyway. The many, many other countries around the world who've gained their independence from the UK seem to be doing just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    It's not the first region to have a referendum for independence, but I think that if it wins, it could have some interesting implications for other separatist regions.
    We're not a region. I live in Lothian, that's my region - Scotland is my country.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I'm not sure about this.

My ancestors would be throwing a party, but I'm not sure in today's economy and political arena whether its a good idea or not.

Then again, I'm not living in Scotland...its a pretty academic thing for me.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

I'm in Wales, so we haven't got there yet (though we do have a national assembly so we're on our way.) If I were in Scotland I would be voting Yes to independence. Scotland was an independent country until 1601 anyway.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    That being said...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
    I'm in Scotland and I'm voting yes. I'm doing so because I want our country to be able to run itself, not be run by another country's government that doesn't know much about living in Scotland and doesn't care either. I also want us to get the government we vote for - we didn't vote Tory but that's what we've got anyway. The many, many other countries around the world who've gained their independence from the UK seem to be doing just fine.
    Exactly! Scotland is not like the rest of the United Kingdom, yet it is constantly put under England's Tory governments, since they control just under 82% of the total MPs. In my opinion, if the Scottish people want a country that is able to act in its own interests and to properly represent its people, then they must vote YES for Independence.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Quote Originally Posted by LunarHarvest View Post
    Exactly! Scotland is not like the rest of the United Kingdom, yet it is constantly put under England's Tory governments, since they control just under 82% of the total MPs. In my opinion, if the Scottish people want a country that is able to act in its own interests and to properly represent its people, then they must vote YES for Independence.
    And I hope they do.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

May 2014
    Religion
    Polytheist
    Phrase
    Heyoooooooo!

I have no problem with Scotland going independent, I've not been a big fan of any English government recently, but I do hope friendly relations will remain and you guys will stick in the commonwealth or something similar.
    I DON'T however, like all the idiots wanting independence 'because Oil', I doubt Scotland will be able to get any richer/Extract any more oil without England's financial backing. Scotland isn't exactly Norway.
    I hope it's national pride and identity, not greed that decides the election. (And tbh I'm kinda expecting Scotland to get independence)
    Work hard Play hard.
    What is history?