This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Vote for Independence

Is anyone following this? If so, what do you think about it?

For those who aren't in the know, Scotland will vote for its independence on September 18.

I'm a total outsider, but I find the whole issue really interesting. It's not the first region to have a referendum for independence, but I think that if it wins, it could have some interesting implications for other separatist regions.

I also find the debate around Scotland itself really interesting.

Maybe I should have put this in debate, as there are a few UK-based members here, but I thought that it would make a better discussion, as most members are scattered around the world.

Re: Scottish Vote for Independence

I'm a personal No to the campaign, simply because currently the Quebec separatists are chomping at the bit to see how the Scots make out, and will inevitably use a Scottish victory as ammunition for their campaign. However I must say I hope whatever is best for Scotland happens for Scotland. I'm sure we can deal with the separatists here either way.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I don't think Scottland really knows the full consequences of what its doing. It keeps acting surprised when the rest of the UK points out things like that they wont be able to use the pound as currency anymore... Since they won't be in the UK. Economically it won't work out as well as they are hoping either since their exports won't be backed by the pound and the UK's international weight. They can do what they want, but I don't really think its a good move for them.
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
        currently the Quebec separatists are chomping at the bit to see how the Scots make out, and will inevitably use a Scottish victory as ammunition for their campaign.
        Quebec separatism is interesting politically because of the First Nations peoples. How would that work?
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I'm in Scotland and I'm voting yes. I'm doing so because I want our country to be able to run itself, not be run by another country's government that doesn't know much about living in Scotland and doesn't care either. I also want us to get the government we vote for - we didn't vote Tory but that's what we've got anyway. The many, many other countries around the world who've gained their independence from the UK seem to be doing just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          It's not the first region to have a referendum for independence, but I think that if it wins, it could have some interesting implications for other separatist regions.
          We're not a region. I live in Lothian, that's my region - Scotland is my country.

Comment

I'm not sure about this.

My ancestors would be throwing a party, but I'm not sure in today's economy and political arena whether its a good idea or not.

Then again, I'm not living in Scotland...its a pretty academic thing for me.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I'm in Wales, so we haven't got there yet (though we do have a national assembly so we're on our way.) If I were in Scotland I would be voting Yes to independence. Scotland was an independent country until 1601 anyway.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Carlin View Post
                I'm in Scotland and I'm voting yes. I'm doing so because I want our country to be able to run itself, not be run by another country's government that doesn't know much about living in Scotland and doesn't care either. I also want us to get the government we vote for - we didn't vote Tory but that's what we've got anyway. The many, many other countries around the world who've gained their independence from the UK seem to be doing just fine.
                Exactly! Scotland is not like the rest of the United Kingdom, yet it is constantly put under England's Tory governments, since they control just under 82% of the total MPs. In my opinion, if the Scottish people want a country that is able to act in its own interests and to properly represent its people, then they must vote YES for Independence.

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
                  Exactly! Scotland is not like the rest of the United Kingdom, yet it is constantly put under England's Tory governments, since they control just under 82% of the total MPs. In my opinion, if the Scottish people want a country that is able to act in its own interests and to properly represent its people, then they must vote YES for Independence.
                  And I hope they do.
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I have no problem with Scotland going independent, I've not been a big fan of any English government recently, but I do hope friendly relations will remain and you guys will stick in the commonwealth or something similar.
                    I DON'T however, like all the idiots wanting independence 'because Oil', I doubt Scotland will be able to get any richer/Extract any more oil without England's financial backing. Scotland isn't exactly Norway.
                    I hope it's national pride and identity, not greed that decides the election. (And tbh I'm kinda expecting Scotland to get independence)
                    Work hard Play hard.
                    What is history?

Comment

Wanting your country to do well economically is NOT greed, it's called being conscious of your economy and the people in your nation. Oil is a huge boost if extracted right, Canada in particular has been benefiting massively from our Alberta oil fields, soon we will have rigs running in newfoundland as well. I agree however that there is no reason Scottish oil production would increase dramatically with independence unless the new government overhauls the system somehow.
                      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                      sigpic
                      In Days of yore,
                      From Britain's shore
                      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                      And planted firm Britannia's flag
                      On Canada's fair domain.
                      Here may it wave,
                      Our boast, our pride
                      And joined in love together,
                      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        Is anyone following this? If so, what do you think about it?
                        I have been following this for a long time.

And yes - I am in favour of an independent Scotland.

Comment

Scotland doesnt govern itself already i clearly wasnt taught properly in school. I thought the united kingdom countries agreed to be part of the united kingdom I assumed the seperate countries governed themselves. If they want their independence they should get it.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
                            Scotland doesnt govern itself already i clearly wasnt taught properly in school.
                            We govern the bits of our own affairs that the UK government let us govern. We're still governed overall by Westminster.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                              Wanting your country to do well economically is NOT greed, it's called being conscious of your economy and the people in your nation.
                              Sorry I may have come across as harsh from that post, but I have just heard a lot of people using oil as their only argument with no consideration as to the other factors, the split Scottish currency may have with the Uk, no more military protection, negation from Eu membership, etc., it just seems like a lot of people are overlooking the rest of the issues the new Scottish government will have to overcome because they've been told 'We'll have oil. We'll be just fiiiine'.
                              if Scotland splits, even if it stays in the commonwealth she'll be very much alone in the big wide world.
                              ^is what I meant to say instead of 'they're idiots for wanting oil' which is what I got from re-reading my post.
                              Work hard Play hard.
                              What is history?

Comment

Working...
                              X