This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a sexy feminist!

Scenario: A woman uses her sex appeal to get a promotion. To get her car washed with a discount. To cut in line at the market. Is she a feminist for using her sex?

Do feminist believe a woman can have an equal footing by using their sexuality? Or are we supposed to use everything but our sexuality?

Can feminist be religious? Even in a religion that is male dominated.

Can feminist be an at home mother who conservatively believes the father is the head of household?
    Satan is my spirit animal

What even is feminism anymore? It seems everyone is a feminist. It doesnt have the old 60s/70s vibe to it these days.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: I'm a sexy feminist!

I'm not sure how I feel about the first one. A lot of cam girls label themselves feminists because they take money from men and find it empowering. I kind of still feel that at its most basic, feminism is about equality between men and women and doing stuff like that isn't really "equal." It's still based on a power relationship where men have more money and status and women have to appeal to them to grasp at that. So, I guess, no. It's not that I think that women can't express their sexuality and still call themselves feminist. I think it's more about the power relationship here and how sexuality fits into that. Women expressing their own sexuality is another thing entirely.

I think feminists can be religious, even in male dominated denominations, because religions can change based on the views of their congregations. I've seen it happen; the Anglican church of Canada is a pretty solid example.

No, I don't think a stay at home wife who believes her father is the head of the household can be a feminist. That is not an equal relationship. That's not to say that a stay at home wife can't be a feminist, but she needs an equal footing with her husband to go there.

Comment

Never understood feminism I understand that footing hasn't always been equal in the whole male female ratio . I personally think women and men should be equal along with straights and gays transgendered people and cisgender people . Its honestly crazy how people think one is better then the other do to completely irrational logic. And if a women wants to use her sex appeal to get a promotion then I give her the best of luck and hope who ever she is trying to sway ain't gay even though that would be beyond funny
        Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Danie you bring up some good points. Though I actually disagree! Yup. I think a woman who can choose is a feminist. If she chooses to give the husband head of household, she does so with her own mind and reasoning. She's probably looking at the benefits she gets out of it. Same with stay at home moms. If a woman chooses that, it's ok.

I don't think feminism is about the subject. It's about the right for a woman to make a decision on a subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            Danie you bring up some good points. Though I actually disagree! Yup. I think a woman who can choose is a feminist. If she chooses to give the husband head of household, she does so with her own mind and reasoning. She's probably looking at the benefits she gets out of it. Same with stay at home moms. If a woman chooses that, it's ok.

I don't think feminism is about the subject. It's about the right for a woman to make a decision on a subject.
            I totally think women who choose to be stay at home moms or take on traditional gender roles can be feminists. It's a choice and I understand why some women make it. For me, the difference was in the "man as the head of the household" part. I understood that as the man making all major decisions about how the household is run, where money gets spend, etc. I don't think that can be feminist. A wife can stay at home and choose to do all of the cooking and cleaning and still be feminist, but I think being a feminist housewife has to go hand in hand with an equal partnership where household decisions are made together. Now, a couple may decide to delegate those decisions (she plans meals and afterschool activities and he decides which Internet provider to use, or whatever), but that still has to come from a joint decision at some point, you get what I mean?

Comment

I'm not sure you understand fully what head of household means exactly. Let's take it religiously. Head of household doesn't mean I make the decisions and you get no say or authority. That's not how it works.

Comment

Ok, I guess I understood it a lot differently. Can you please tell me how it does work? I don't come from a background where those words were ever used and I only really know the concept from movies set in the 1950s. I'm not being sarcastic here...I really just don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  I'm not sure you understand fully what head of household means exactly. Let's take it religiously. Head of household doesn't mean I make the decisions and you get no say or authority. That's not how it works.
                  In many communities it does though. There, "head of the household" means the man is the head of the family, and the woman is the neck...he makes all the decisions, all the choices, is the final authority on what everyone in the family is and does. Best she can do is try to turn him towards what she wants or thinks. western society operated on that idea as the societal norm in most cultures for millennium. it was definitely not feminist.

Ah, here we go...lets do it all Biblical-like: 1 Corinthians 11:3 But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

So, to get back to the OP....it depends. If your religion is one that embraces equality, then yes, you can be a feminist. If it doesn't, and you are pushing for equality, then yes, you can be a feminist. If it doesn't, and you accept the status quo, then probably not. If you are a stay at home mom for predominantly religious reasons, in a traditional relationship, enforcing traditional gender roles for your children, then probably not. Even if you chose this, having the choice is thanks to feminism, but the choice itself is not.
                  Last edited by thalassa; 01 Sep 2014, 03:45.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

A woman uses her sex appeal to get a promotion. To get her car washed with a discount. To cut in line at the market. Is she a feminist for using her sex?
                    Can she be a feminist and still do these things? Sure.

But is it feminism to do so--well, is it an action that reinforces the idea that women are people worthy of being taken seriously on the same footing as a man?

Probably not....so no, she's not a feminist for using her looks alone---but she could be a feminist for other reasons.

Feminism isn't just a "yes" in the academic question of "are women equal in value to men and therefore should have legal and social status that is equal to men"....there is an action component. You have to *do* something to be a feminist--even if its just teaching your daughter that she can be the President or an astronaut (or your son that there is nothing wrong with a girl being an astronaut and the President, or him being a ballet dancer or a nurse) or voting against the dude that doesn't support family leave or equal pay.

Do feminist believe a woman can have an equal footing by using their sexuality? Or are we supposed to use everything but our sexuality?
                    Here's another "it depends"....does she have anything other than her sexuality? Anything else in her toolbox? I mean...if you are angling to get a promotion and you are equal in everything else AND you are smokin' hot, by all means, use it. If you are woefully under-qualified, and thing your titties should entitle you to get a job over someone that is qualified, that is not feminism. Using your ta-ta's isn't at all like using your MIT degree in nuclear physics... Honestly, in that it reinforces the bimbo stereotype, its pretty much anti-feminism.

Feminism isn't a position that I, as a woman, can do whatever I want--its a position that women, as group of people, are equal in standing to men, as a group of people. It is the first step towards egalitarianism because gender inequality is pervasive in nearly all countries, ethnicities, cultures, and religions (some have more than others, but there's always a little somewhere).
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

It seems to me that, if feminism has anything AT ALL to do with the freedom of making one's own choices, then telling somebody what they MUST DO, or MUST NOT DO in order to be a feminist is illogical.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

That's why I call myself an Egalitarian. There's no confusion about what that word means and it doesn't put one sort of person over another sort. The mere term of feminism is, imho, sexist and if you really believe in equality vs. some sort of favoritism backlash due to historical issues, you really shouldn't use it.

Yes, the past was hard on women. It was hard on everyone. But we aren't going to move forward trying to 'make up' for past indiscretions by going the other way. It's like cheating on your next lover because the last one cheated on you and thinking that will improve your relationship. It's just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                          That's why I call myself an Egalitarian. There's no confusion about what that word means and it doesn't put one sort of person over another sort. The mere term of feminism is, imho, sexist and if you really believe in equality vs. some sort of favoritism backlash due to historical issues, you really shouldn't use it.
                          Rowanwood, you speak with wisdom.

In the past, that word may have needed the confrontational power it contains, but it may well be time to move beyond it, and deal with ideas of equality instead.

It would save a lot of confusion, methinks.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            In many communities it does though. There, "head of the household" means the man is the head of the family, and the woman is the neck...he makes all the decisions, all the choices, is the final authority on what everyone in the family is and does. Best she can do is try to turn him towards what she wants or thinks. western society operated on that idea as the societal norm in most cultures for millennium. it was definitely not feminist.
                            Yep, that's exactly how I understood it.

Comment

All I know is 1st and 2nd wave feminist seemed to have a differing purpose than many 3rd and 4th wave feminist do. To such an extent that I've seen and read many 1st to early 3rd wave claim 4th wave feminist have actually set the women's rights stuff back decades and undone what they fought for. It;s like I hear the term femnazi applied more to 4th wave than anyone along with the term twata talk as a counter to their frequent usage of the term manspeak.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X