Добрый день! - Or: Good Day to you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Добрый день! - Or: Good Day to you!

Larix, the problem isn't in you. I am seconding what MaskedOne and Thalassa said here. I know that I'm repeating it, but not all members here know Russian or any other language. So it's in the rules of the forum to write translation to any non-English language, in order to get idea what the user is talking about. That's all. You're taking it too much personally.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I NEVER thought that EVERYBODY knows Russian!

I don't know it myself!

I just wanted to talk about it.

Can this thread be cancelled?

Comment

Uh, are you reading the replies or are they losing something in their translation?

I for one would love to see things in Russian and Cyrillic. Just translate them. I don't get what the problem is.

Comment

I find the culture and I've heard great things about the people, but recent events have made me despise the Russian government. I used to want to learn Russian, now I've lost interest due to the maybe impending WW3
          White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
          sigpic
          In Days of yore,
          From Britain's shore
          Wolfe the dauntless hero came
          And planted firm Britannia's flag
          On Canada's fair domain.
          Here may it wave,
          Our boast, our pride
          And joined in love together,
          The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Yes, please don't end the thread - I was just getting interested.

I'm interested in Russian history, and was just looking at some of the markings on Russian WWI and WWII rifles in my collection, due to this thread..
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ždravo.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                I'm actually going to require this. There are several languages spoken by different staff members but we do not all speak all languages known by various members of this board. In the interest of enabling staff members to do their jobs efficiently, I'm going to require all non-English commentary to have an accompanying translation.
                Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                Ždravo.
                Waits patiently.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  Waits patiently.
                  Hah, sorry I was skimming...

Ždravo. = Hello.

Comment

Coolness, thank you.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Hah, sorry I was skimming...

Ždravo. = Hello.
                      Coolness! I love Slavic languages. What language is it?
                      I would like to learn Czech, but there are some sounds that I can't pronounce yet.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                        Coolness! I love Slavic languages. What language is it?
                        I would like to learn Czech, but there are some sounds that I can't pronounce yet.
                        Slovenian, but that specific word is used in other regions too (for example, Croatia). It's a pretty good general introduction for the area.

Comment

Slovenian, but that specific word is used in other regions too (for example, Croatia). It's a pretty good general introduction for the area.
                          Awesome! Thanks!

Comment

In Russian, people often use "Добрый день" - good day, "Здравствуйте" - literally means "greetings" but is used as hello, "Привет" - hello (it's more between people who know one another) as greetings.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                              In Russian, people often use "Добрый день" - good day, "Здравствуйте" - literally means "greetings" but is used as hello, "Привет" - hello (it's more between people who know one another) as greetings.
                              Interesting. Sounds complicated to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
                                Interesting. Sounds complicated to learn.
                                Russian is pretty complicated. They told us in school it was only beat by Chinese for difficulty for native English speakers. There are a lot of rules and exceptions to those rules. Honestly, learning what I did of Russian really made me appreciate those who put forth the effort to learn English because in the broken rules category we're about even.
                                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X