Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shinto Group Thread

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    The first and surest means to enter into communion with the Divine is sincerity.

Re: Shinto Group Thread

Good point about it being difficult to estimate the population of Shinto individuals. When I applied for college, you could fill out information on the application website. One category was religion. They had everything from Yazidi to Seichi-no-Ie. No Shinto.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    That being said...

Found data from the Office for National Statistics which details the Shinto practitioner population in England and Wales, so I decided to make a map showing the population of each region that practices Shinto.

regions - Copy.jpg
    Just in case the resolution makes the text illegible, or its just hard to read. The numbers are in the spoiler.
    Spoiler!

The London Borough of Barnet is the most likely place you'll find a Shinto practitioner, with the largest number of reported practitioners at 52, or just over 4.8% of the Shinto population in England and Wales.

I've checked with the Scotland Census website, but no luck finding any mention of possible Shinto practitioners other than the usual "Other" category on religious demographics.

Next up I hope to do Ireland!
    Last edited by LunarHarvest; 12 Sep 2014 at 22:04.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    The first and surest means to enter into communion with the Divine is sincerity.

Wow, that's interesting. Good job finding that. I rather doubt I could find anything for the United States other than Hawaii, Washington, and possibly Minnesota.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    That being said...

I just finished contacting the CSO (Central Statistics Office), in the Republic of Ireland, and reviewing the 2011 Census data from the NISRA (Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency), and here is what I have been able to gather so far.

In Northern Ireland there are less than 10 Shinto practitioners. This is because Shinto did not properly appear on 2011 Census records, and is likely among the 5,211 people practising "Other Religions". That category is reserved for, as stated by the NISRA, those religions "where there are fewer than 10 usual residents" It can be assumed that Shinto is, at best, almost non-existent among the people of Northern Ireland.

In terms of the Republic of Ireland, the CSO reported that there were 14,118 People of “Other Stated Religions”, and this does not include Buddhists, Pantheists or Hindus, which were counted separately. I have contacted the CSO requesting additional information regarding this topic, and I am awaiting their response.

Yes, igree, too

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    That being said...

Just heard from the CSO. They have no available records or information regarding Shinto as religious group within the Republic of Ireland.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase

I went on a hike last weekend and there were some pools on the mountain that were clean enough to drink! It was beautiful. There were actually some other people praying as well.

That's too bad about Ireland, though.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    That being said...

*working at finding statistical information*
    Finally! After reading small print to find sources, and jumping from one website to another, I have finally found a comprehensive and detailed dataset which should properly record Shinto adherents within it.

*downloads*

Now to take a look at the data and start making the next map.
    *can't open the files because they are in .sav format*

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase

Here's what I found on the Internet for you:

GNU PSPP is a free application that is functionally equivalent to IBM SPSS and fully capable of opening, editing, analysing and saving .SAV SPSS Statistics files. Learn more here: http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/
    Hope that helps. I myself went to a fall meeting of pagans yesterday. It was nice to talk to some of them, especially ones who didn't know about Shinto. They had a ritual at the end, but I had to leave before that and I'm not sure it would be something for me. They said they would contact me if they found any Shinto activities in the area. I'll probably go to more events with them. They were a nice bunch. I think I'll make some Japanese foods for their potluck.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    That being said...

No luck opening those files, and I haven't been looking for new info for a bit, but we'll see what arises in the future.

Nice! I have yet to properly look into the pagan groups in my area, but I have definitely thought of doing so in the past. I'll be honest that one of the reasons is I am nervous about going to meet-ups since all the meetups I saw were usually based in Wicca or Witchcraft. I know little to nothing about Wiccan ritual, and likewise I'm not sure it or witchcraft would be something for me.