This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom of speech/religion/assembly vs. keeping the peace

So, a few days ago, this happened in Germany: http://www.thelocal.de/20140909/germ...ng-rule-of-law

Re: Freedom of speech/religion/assembly vs. keeping the peace

It's decided. I'm going to Germany to preach.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I think it also has to do with the place. People preach all sorts of things in Berlin and on one cares. In a big city, if police cared that much about random acts of public strangeness, they wouldn't have time to solve any actual crimes.

Comment

I have no issue with it, as long as we are comparing it to the above example, and they're not harassing people walking in and out of pubs etc, and just on the street like your average annoying christian.

Knee jerk reaction perhaps because they are muslim? Hmm
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I don't know too much about German law, but first I look at precedent. If Christians are able to preach and hand out pamphlets to German passersby, then the Muslims or people of any faith/religion should be able to do the same. They aren't committing any heinous act but are just using their right to free speech. However, I do think the whole peace and harmony issue seems more societal than anything. If places generally keep to themselves and topics such as religion are seen as personal, dealing with annoying preachers who be frowned upon and no one would do it.

Comment

I don't know. Preaching a theology seems a bit different than pushing a theological law that's responsible for people being stoned to death or beheaded and currently enforced in quite a few countries. While its not being acted upon directly it's given a sense of approval and acceptance by not acting against it. Not entirely different in scope than how the KKK or Black Panthers used to do things in public to gauge public support and willingness to accept it.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

For the fact that the world now has a negative perception of the Muslims in general, it's no surprise that any piece of bad news regarding the Muslims will be lambasted by the media to promote this worthless sense of boogeyman hate.

And these 'preachers' are just feeding their ignorance. They seem to have a warped view of the Sharia law, in which if I remember it states that it is against the law to force any person to convert into Islam, while doesn't directly apply to the issue here, does indirectly imply that no one can force sharia law upon others. The Sharia law also states to protect basic human rights, like not getting bombarded by talking drones while eating a nice creamy bowl of pumpkin soup, but as humanity takes it's course, someone has to wear the dick hat and do really stupid things.

->monsno_leedra
              As far as I know, that happens in some countries in the Middle East, and it's more of a badly developed culture than the religion itself, other Islamic states across Asia aren't as.... extreme as you would perceive, such as Malaysia for instance.

Comment

If someone asked for them to leave them alone, did they comply?
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  If someone asked for them to leave them alone, did they comply?
                  That's actually a good question. I'm not sure about that. If not, then I guess the charges could be justified.

It could be really easy to read into the situation, because there were a few arrests recently in connection to a terrorist plot in Frankfurt. A lot of people are a little on edge, so it makes the rest of us wonder if the police were overreacting. Also, this country (like most western countries) has a habit of treating Muslims differently than Christians. But that doesn't mean that they weren't crossing the line into harassment. I'll see if any other media outlets have more info. Most just reported the situation with their commentary, with the conservative outlets like Welt saying "Oh no, they can't impose Isalmic law in Germany!" and the liberal media like Tagesspiegel saying "no one cares when Christians do the exact same thing."

Comment

Really sometimes I think the whole "Freedom of speech" thing might be a bit over used. I am not against the right to speak,but I think many really over use it and abuse it. You I think have the right to NOT be hounded by "Free speech". Like the idea free speech does not give you the right to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I have had christians not comply when i asked them to leave me alone. I dont know i feel about it the west burrow church is allowed to protest during soilders funerals and i wish that was not allowed.

Comment

I believe humans should have complete freedom if u wanna protest protest if u wanna get on the side of the road and yell at passers by the so be it I personally draw the line when someone's personal safety is in question as when violence is acted on a person . Like for example when wbc puts up signs that read " god hates fags" that is perfectly fine 100% ok but if a parent harms a child for being gay or when violence happens because of someone's religious beliefs or freedom of speech that is were I draw the line . So as long as no one is harmed then you can preach protest and be an annoyence to society as much as u want. This includes Muslims .
                        Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
                          I dont know i feel about it the west burrow church is allowed to protest during soilders funerals and i wish that was not allowed.
                          Why is that? It kind of defeats the entire purpose of protests to shut them down if they make people uncomfortable or are inconvenient. We have freedom of speech and freedom of assembly, people are going to use those freedoms to do stupid things.

To do things we would rather they didn't, that any sane person would rather they didn't. It is still their right to do so.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

"We will not tolerate an illegal parallel justice," warned Justice Minister Heiko Maas.
                            This pretty much describes my views on the subject.

If these people are being a bother to the people around them, and not stopping when people ask, then they must not be permitted to continue, but if they are just talking to people without trying to properly force them to do anything, or enforcing any fines or punishment, then it is tolerable, though I must say that they have a poor choice in name.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                              Why is that? It kind of defeats the entire purpose of protests to shut them down if they make people uncomfortable or are inconvenient. We have freedom of speech and freedom of assembly, people are going to use those freedoms to do stupid things.

To do things we would rather they didn't, that any sane person would rather they didn't. It is still their right to do so.
                              Simply because it is at there funerals thats disrespectfull. They can protest anywhere else with the same messages. A persons death imho is sacred and there actions are disrespectfull to the dead. This is there intended resting place rather how you interpurt the afterlife. If souls/spirits/energys reside there they deserve peace.

They can protest anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X