X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tad odd?

Hey guys! Long time no see!
    We finally moved to the Chicago area

So, since I'm still learning about the various paths, one of the first things I do is get a library card. I get my card and I merrily stroll into the religious section under "other".
    It took me about 20 minutes to figure out that various subjects were under Occult.
    Yet a book about Druidism and the Moon Goddess was under the religious section, books on Witchcraft, Reincarnation, Tarot, etc . we're under the Occult section. Yet, a book on the original pagan Halloween was listed under Folklore (along with various other books about more holidays like memorial day and Christmas).

Does anyone find this highly odd?
    I know the Craft is not considered religion but most consider it a tool in Spirituality.

Do libraries scatter Pagan or "Other" belief systems throughout various sections in the library? It's quite confusing .
    The librarian was nice and did her job well, but felt a bit tense once she found the subject matter I was interested in.

Re: A tad odd?

I would have expected the Occult and Religious aspects to be separated, but for it to be this fragmented around the library is a little bit annoying. In a book store I used to frequent, they had done the same, but at the very least all the books on these topics are right next to each other along a single wall. I even thing\k they had an entire section, albeit a slightly smaller one, in there for witchcraft and tarot and spell-work, and although I use none of those in my religious practice, it made sense to me that they be put together.

Comment

The library here does that to a degree. It's been a while since I went, but I think that the section was called something like "Mythology and Folklore". There were some New Age type books in the Religions section, too.

Comment

I understand separating the tools of Spirituality/Religion from the topic of Religion/Sprirituality. So in this case, the tools are under Occult.

Torey ~ That would make sense. But in the folklore section of my library it kind of had mostly just ... about holidays and origins of those o.O I have yet to go back to see if there is anything else but ... ech.
        It would make it easier for all of the sections to be in one definable area of the library like New Age under the religion section and include the occult area there too. Makes so much more sense!

I was just flabbergasted when I discovered this lol Glad I'm not crazy with that XD

Comment

I would just like to actually have books on the subjects at my library. I think they have maybe one or two books, but that's pretty much it. And that includes the other library branches they're connected to (where you can have books from the other branches sent to your branch to check out).

My library kind of sucks on having a variety. I've always felt if I had the money, I'd buy some books on the various subjects of Wicca, Witchcraft, Paganism, divination, etc., and donate them. They'd probably get stolen in no time, though. I've heard libraries have that issue with those books.

So, if I want a book, I just have to buy it. Which is okay, because honestly, I enjoy holding onto them.

Comment

Its totally normal...Welcome to the Dewey Decimal System. Unless they use the LCC.

Either way, bookstores don't usually use either of those.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

In our bookstores and libraries we don't have a section called "Occult" - the Christians would go nuts. Basically anything related to Christianity, Islam or Judaism is grouped under the "Religious" section (*sometimes* Buddhism as well), and everything else is put under "Esoteric" - a softer, less scary word for the average bookstore browser. On top of that, you'd be hard pressed to find a book on witchcraft/Wicca or pagan-related paths and practices in these sections. Plenty of books on Tarot, astrology, palmistry, crystals, etc, but not often will you find a book on the Craft. Over here you need to find a shop specifically New Age/Occult to obtain that kind of literature.
              sigpic

Comment

They get labeled here as mythology and new age and found near the relgious section but this is a more occult accepting town. Back home in kansas all i found was historical documents about the salem trials and fictional books.

Bookstores have them i think labeled new age relgion.

Comment

Odd enough the same religious section, which was lacking in Wicca texts, had a decent set of books for Scientology..Go figure. We are fortunate to actually have access to books (as a few of you have pointed out- it is not always the case) but it is a little odd to have it so scattered.

Comment

Working...
                  X