This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing

In my spare time, I've decided that I'm going to go back to trying my hand at writing a short story, and see where it goes. I've done this in the past and was quite pleased with what I had come up with, but due to various factors, not only did I stop writing but I have lost everything that I had written. So, here I go again.

Brought on by various movies, games, and my own thoughts, I've settled on the theme of the unknown and reluctant hero, a young teen whose life is far from extraordinary who discovers that not only are things not what they seem, but neither is he. His name is Sig, and he learns that he is the child of both mortal and god, a fact that leads him into a world of the monsters, myth, and magic. I've settled upon wanting it to be Scandinavian based, or at least the myth part, sort of like the whole Percy Jackson series but drawing on the Aesir.

I'd love any thoughts, ideas, feedback, concepts, ANYTHING that you'd love to throw my way, even criticisms.

Thanks!

Re: Writing

Hmmm...have you thought of perhaps having one of his friends turn out to be a Hulder? They could have been just seen as a tad odd by always wearing a long dress, but it turns out it was keeping them from being found out.

Comment

Just my mind wandering but why make your main character a demi-being or give them super normative powers? If your trying to sell your creative presence then it seems to copy Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Pierce Anthony's Immortals books and ideas, Hobbit and LOTR, or any such concept would rob you of your true potential creative imagination and ideas.

Consider why does Percy Jackson sell as a story concept? Is it the divine aspect or is it because he is a boy with a mental issue of dyslexia? His disability is what make you relate to him and support him as he struggles in a world that knocks him down. Being the son of Poseidon really is not his strength but only a side battle in discovering who he is and gaining acceptance for being who he is. The same argument can be said of Harry Potter, The Paladin in the Magic Kingdom books, etc. In many ways caring for them and following them for their disabilities and limitations not for who they are or powers they possess.

Figure we know Percy Jackson or Harry Potter is going to win in the end and be the victor. Yet its the struggle of their story and their limitations and weaknesses and how they overcome them that keeps drawing us back.

I love to write though my works are never good enough in my own opinion. Yet I find I come the closest to perfection in my own eyes when I write to create my own world and hero's vice trying to copy a model that is used over and over by others. A god spawn is a model used over and over and is almost written before you even start.

I recall one comic book I read a long time ago that has stuck with me. The premise of the story was that Thor was dropped in the world of Conan the Barbarian. Crom stripes Thor of his hammer, his powers and all about him that is divine then makes him prove himself as a mere mortal. The conflict being the mentality of being a god and knowing its all gone and you can't get it back. But you have to try, not as Thor in the recent movies where if you prove yourself it will come back but as one who was the top of the mountain and now is the lowest rock beneath it. Of all the Marvel stories I read over the years dealing with Thor with or without the Avengers that one stuck with me for it was about him and facing life as a mere man of no worth or importance.

I do wish you luck in your project and look forward to visiting your world as you create it.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

My tips:

-Whatever you decide storywise, don`t forget that the most important part of a narrative story is not -what- you tell but -how- you tell it. You can get caught up forever in building complicated mythology and worlds, but a concise story that comes together is almost always good, regardless of where it takes place or what happens.
        -Make sure your characters are believable and human (even if they`re not actually human). Make sure that people can relate to them. You can have secondary characters, but each should be there for a reason and should still be believable as a person. You can really do something with your story idea here. That creates some good conflict in the story. Use it...make sure you don`t lose that human element when you`re writing.
        -Avoid getting carried away with world building. Pick and choose your elements and make sure you tie them to something the reader may know (elements of history, a modern culture, a folk tradition, or something like that). It doesn`t have to be obvious; George RR Martin drew a lot of inspiration from the War of the Roses in 15th Century England when he wrote the Game of Thrones series, but I doubt a lot of readers or fans of the show who didn`t have British history in school or aren`t history buffs would really pick up on that. Still, having that real inspiration makes the story more real, even though it has dragons and ice zombies. it doesn`t have to be historic. If you set it in present day, you can just pick things from now and give the reader a good sense of time and place.

Comment

Working...
        X