This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covens

Witches have covens and that's excellent. But what can I, as a budding wizard/warlock/sorcerer/magic-man/whatever do? I feel extremely alone in my practice. I'm even having trouble deciding on a title that suites me. I am most definitely a practitioner of magic and as it seems that nearly every other practitioner is female, I feel almost as if... I'm intruding. I know it would depend greatly on the coven itself, but could a male join a witches' coven? Has it been done before or is it rude of me to even suggest such a thing?

a witch is man or female. you can be a man and join a coven. covens are dedicated to the covens beliefs can have little room for indivdual beliefs. have you looked on witchvox might help you find someone in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
      a witch is man or female. you can be a man and join a coven. covens are dedicated to the covens beliefs can have little room for indivdual beliefs. have you looked on witchvox might help you find someone in your area.
      I didn't even think of witchvox 0: Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Oh no, the closest coven to me is more than an hour away :^(

Comment

yeah there is nothing local for me.

Comment

Few people, unless they live in larger cities, have covens that are local to them. It usually requires travel.

That being said, I'd advise against joining a "coven" and instead would focus on searching out study groups. A coven is usually a group of practitioners who share a tradition. If you haven't found your tradition yet, you would be pigeon-holing yourself, IMHO - if they would even take you on.

I think that I would look harder at the reasons why finding a group is that important to you. People often gravitate towards groups because they feel that it's the only way they can "validate" their beliefs - rather, have others validate them for them by sharing in them. You seem a bit undecided on what you actually "are" and that's okay. You don't need to force yourself into a box. Explore a bit more before looking to join an established tradition. Otherwise - I repeat - study groups are good starting points in meeting others with similar interests/beliefs. You can find them on places like Meetup.com, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
            Few people, unless they live in larger cities, have covens that are local to them. It usually requires travel.

That being said, I'd advise against joining a "coven" and instead would focus on searching out study groups. A coven is usually a group of practitioners who share a tradition. If you haven't found your tradition yet, you would be pigeon-holing yourself, IMHO - if they would even take you on.

I think that I would look harder at the reasons why finding a group is that important to you. People often gravitate towards groups because they feel that it's the only way they can "validate" their beliefs - rather, have others validate them for them by sharing in them. You seem a bit undecided on what you actually "are" and that's okay. You don't need to force yourself into a box. Explore a bit more before looking to join an established tradition. Otherwise - I repeat - study groups are good starting points in meeting others with similar interests/beliefs. You can find them on places like Meetup.com, too.
            I know who and what I am, it's just a hard thing to name. I'm not trying to fit into any box and I don't need validation. Rather, I'd just like to... well, connect with people. Apart from my religion, in a white/grey magical sense; I'm looking to find other people that believe in and practice magic regularly. So you're right about one thing- a study group does seem prudent. At this point, really, I'm just looking for any way at all to connect. I'm starved for socialization and kinship.

Comment

Be careful with WitchVox. Recently an occult shop opened in my town , and mind you my town has 8 churches in a little over two square miles. Any how I have a post on witchvox that is basically looking for kindred spirits to meet up with, celebrate holidays and swap books. Long story short I wound up being "catfished" by a local fundamentalist nd christian church on Beltane no less, we were supposed to meet for a nice walk and maybe share a ritua or prayer. Instead I was met by five very ill meaning folks and given a bible. It sucked by in a positive way it encouraged me attend more pagan events.

I live in a town called Pitman, NJ you can look up our yearly christmas war over a keep christ in christmas banner online.

But just be careful, being solitary isnt all bad and allows a lot of reflection, I keep telling myself If Im meant for a group Ill stumble upon one on the path.

Comment

I would add that many groups have inner and outer court teachings and ceremonies / rituals. Unless fully initiated into the group you'd probably only be allowed to attend open circle / ritual stuff which in many ways is still like being an individual practitioner as your not part of the group. Yes you might be present for generic stuff but normally that would be all you'd be exposed to. Not sure its much of a consideration any more but a number of groups, especially those who used nudity, used to demand a couple for entrance into a group so as to not upset the dynamics and workings. Well that and the eroticism aspect of doing things in the nude with younger people used to be a big issue.

Torey mentioned a study coven situation which can be a good thing as a lot of them are formed more for academic / group meeting purposes than the mystical / spiritual aspect of a closed coven and initiated based system. Bad part is they can have a lot of the group struggle / dominance issues that are faced in a coven but not the desire / commitment to hold them together. Must admit I see those referenced more with campuses and such than community based.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                X