Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada: A non definitive history by Doc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada: A non definitive history by Doc.

So it is probably not news to most of you that I'm a Canadian, and I'm a Canadian that particularly likes things that are Canadian. And I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to make a thread on Canada and its short history? I figure that Americans don't get educated on our history as much as we do on theirs. Fair enough, we're not exactly a 'huge' deal. But, as we are Americas 'toque' I figured you guys may like to hear a bit about that cold ass place up north. I won't be typing classy or proper because I'm not classy or proper. (This will briefly cover the 'european' history, since there is thousands of years before that and I could never do the natives/badass Vikings that once lived here justice.)

THE FOUNDING OF THE CONFEDERATION

John Alexander Macdonald
    First Prime Minister Of Canada
    Badass

Johnny boy here is pretty much Canadas founding father (Opinions may vary). He was born in Scotland and moved to Kingston, Upper Canada when he was just a boy. He hung out with a local lawyer as an intern, unfortunately the lawyer croaked before John qualified to be a lawyer himself. He opened his own practice anyways and became a pretty big deal in the lawyer world, thereby getting a footing in politics. John was pissed with the way the times were going in British North America, so he and a few buds got together and thought "Hey, lets unite and fix this boat before it springs leaks." and so they did, and it resulted in the passing of the British North America Act. And subsequently Canada was born on July first, 1867. He was then our first (And second longest serving.) prime minister. He is also responsible for that huge ass amount of land we own today, since when he was a boy we were more stuck in the east, he made sure we claimed all that oil (He didn't know it was there, but we got it anyways.) in the west. Interestingly enough we offered people HUGE incentives to move into the west so that the Americans couldn't colonize north and take the land that was up for grabs.

Thats all for now, I'd rather not overwhelm people with way too much Canadian stuff in too little time. Up next on Docs thread. The revolutionary war, the latest scandal? And is the trapping business on the decline?
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Re: Canada: A non definitive history by Doc.

u know, im in the us, and i knew very little about canada until i saw a documentary on u guys the other day!! I must say, it was really good! nothing boring about canada!

Comment

Originally posted by Aislin View Post
      u know, im in the us, and i knew very little about canada until i saw a documentary on u guys the other day!! I must say, it was really good! nothing boring about canada!
      Awesome Do you remember the name of the documentary?
      sigpic
      In Days of yore,
      From Britain's shore
      On Canada's fair domain.
      Here may it wave,
      Our boast, our pride
      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

It was where people look up their ancestry, Rachael McAdams is canadian, and it documented her families history, and it went back to the revolutionary war... sec... ill google, that is sooo not helpful lol.

ok, google Who Do You Think You Are, Rachel McAdams learns her ancestors loyalties. I liked it =) but ima nerd <3

Comment

Originally posted by Aislin View Post
          It was where people look up their ancestry, Rachael McAdams is canadian, and it documented her families history, and it went back to the revolutionary war... sec... ill google, that is sooo not helpful lol.

ok, google Who Do You Think You Are, Rachel McAdams learns her ancestors loyalties. I liked it =) but ima nerd <3
          Oh yeah I know that show, I literally caught parts of that exact episode when it was on. Cool stuff.
          sigpic
          In Days of yore,
          From Britain's shore
          On Canada's fair domain.
          Here may it wave,
          Our boast, our pride
          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

unbeknownst(spell check had a time figuring this one out) to many here on the forum I am first generation American,My father came down from Calgary,where he grew up on a goat farm(they made cheese) so do tell me about Canada,cause I really want to know a bit of my fathers history..
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm going to cover some history before the era where John was around, I just wanted to talk about John first since he is often the unsung hero of our nation (one of them). But next I'll do stuff like the Rev. war in America, the war of 1812. Some of the native conflicts. Cool to hear you have Canadian roots Anu.
              sigpic
              In Days of yore,
              From Britain's shore
              On Canada's fair domain.
              Here may it wave,
              Our boast, our pride
              The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Haha I like it!

When I was on the Isle of Skye, I went to a museum for Clan MacDonald. They had a picture of John A. MacDonald on the wall in a section about MacDonalds who had immigrated abroad. At first I was like, "why is there a picture of our first prime minister?" But then I remembered he was a MacDonald.

Comment

Nice very interesting I wanna know more my mom was born in Edmont (sp?). I have always been interested in Canada.

Comment

Best thing about Canada?

My wife is Canadian.

Comment

The American Revolutionary War
                      And Canada
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-General-Sir-Guy-Carleton_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	352607
                      Lord Dorchester
                      British General
                      Governor of Quebec

So a lot of you may be thinking "What does Canada have to do with the U.S.A. and it's war for independence?" well a whole heck of a lot really. It makes sense when you look at the basic geography, it can be summed up like this. Canada bordered the Thirteen Colonies, and mostly loved England. Thirteen colonies bordered Canada, had a strong hate for England (Majority wise.) As a result Canada was an obvious point of attack for the Americans and defence for the Brits. In fact, one of the major moves of the continental army (The dudes fighting for the states.) was to invade Canada and seize pieces of Quebec. And one might ask themselves why in the hell America would want Quebec when American soil is 10x more fertile and 15x more strategically important. While it was simple, and devilishly smart. The Americans were obviously filled with quite an independent spirit, and they quickly looked about for other people that they could incite the same kind of hunger for independence in. Obvious choice? Quebec, who had been under dominant English rule for a little while. And so it was that America decided to invade Quebec, and I must say they did quite well at first. Winning decisive victories here and there, and even taking Montreal. The problem of course was that Canada, well, Canada is cold as bloody hell. And when winter hit, the Americans weren't happy. As is depicted in this dramatic painting where the Canadians repelled the Americans under the fog of snow.

As a result of the decisive defeats the Americans had suffered near the end of their Canadian campaign, the American general Richard Montgomery had died, and Benedict Arnold was injured. The small pox ridden Americans went home at heavy cost. England learnt a lesson however, and came up with a rational. They decided to give Quebec and its residences special rights in relation to their culture so that they would stay and not revolt. Seeing as England would rather not fight two revolutions at once. As a result Canada is bilingual today, and Quebec is still largely culturally unique. Pretty cool stuff.

Next, the war of 1812. And two of Canada's greatest heroes. Isaac Brock and Tecumseh.

sigpic
                      In Days of yore,
                      From Britain's shore
                      On Canada's fair domain.
                      Here may it wave,
                      Our boast, our pride
                      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I remember some of this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                          Next, the war of 1812. And two of Canada's greatest heroes. Isaac Brock and Tecumseh.
                          If I don't see mention of Redcoats burning DC, I will be deeply disappointed in you.

What? I like my country and all but it's still an entertaining piece of history and we were a touch idiotic in our early years anyway.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            If I don't see mention of Redcoats burning DC, I will be deeply disappointed in you.

What? I like my country and all but it's still an entertaining piece of history and we were a touch idiotic in our early years anyway.

I'm sure it will be in there. That is a point of pride for most Canadians

Seriously, when we covered it in history class, everyone cheered.

Sorry, Americans.

Comment

Just letting you all know that I plan to continue this little programme soon. I just got caught up in some things and forgot about it.

(TEASER )

Click image for larger version

Name:	1812.1.583.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	352623
                              sigpic
                              In Days of yore,
                              From Britain's shore