This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dream catchers

Totally just made my daughter (who is not born yet) a dream catcher. Made from hibiscus, the crystals are turqouise, grey agate, amethyst, lapis, and onxy. And the feathers are crow and raven, as I seem to have an abundance of them.

How many have made their own dream catchers and what materials do you use and why?

Re: dream catchers

Did you make a dream catcher or a mandella? A lot of Mandella's are the ones with stones and crystals, feathers, etc though many try to pass them off as dream catchers. Mandella's based off the war shields though you see mandella's also used in some tantric type work. A dream catchers was basically a spider web with a cone in the center of it. many times actually created from a spider web with the resident spider still part of it. It would catch the bad stuff and allow the good dreams to be funneled down to the center and passed through.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      Did you make a dream catcher or a mandella? A lot of Mandella's are the ones with stones and crystals, feathers, etc though many try to pass them off as dream catchers. Mandella's based off the war shields though you see mandella's also used in some tantric type work. A dream catchers was basically a spider web with a cone in the center of it. many times actually created from a spider web with the resident spider still part of it. It would catch the bad stuff and allow the good dreams to be funneled down to the center and passed through.
      Huh, never knew that. My great grandmother always taught me to make them this way, she was Cherokee.

I wish I knew how to post a picture on this thing. Sorry, technologically challenged. I'm having to use a tablet for all of my internet needs and the wifi here is intermittent at best.

Comment

I know each nation had their own method and design they used. One of the common complaints I used to hear regarding things Native American, NA here out, was the misrepresentation of things or mass production that claim a NA lineage / influence but never used things the NA would have used.

I knew a guy who was Cherokee (Tsalagi) and his clan always told me the Tsalagi dream catcher had the natural spider web and cone in it. He was the Eastern Nation so not sure if the Western Nation did it differently or not. Of course can't say for certain if each tribe within the Eastern Nation did it the exact same way either. I suppose that also goes back to the dream catchers made for family or personal use versus the ones made for tourist and sell.

Would be interested to see it though as I find them usually to be really good works of art. Regardless of whether they are Dream Catchers or Mandella's and traditional or individual inspired.

Comment

That's so cool. Looks like I have new material to study up on and research. I wish she was still around so I could pry her with questions. I was too young when she was alive to fully appreciate the knowledge and tidbits of wisdom she imparted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky1rish View Post
            That's so cool. Looks like I have new material to study up on and research. I wish she was still around so I could pry her with questions. I was too young when she was alive to fully appreciate the knowledge and tidbits of wisdom she imparted.
            Don't I know that one. I was either to young to know and care or to old to care and know thinking I already knew it. Then one day I found I was both an adult and a father and it was to late to speak to my grandparents, or great aunts / uncles who had tried when I was younger. While I retained lots of their teachings and such it seems I missed a lot as well.

Comment

Working...
            X