This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommended Shamanism Resources Thread

I'll say I don't think being pagan means you should be into history, mythology or myths and legends. I do agree for many of us those same fields do tend to offer us hints or clues as to how people saw the divine and even how they tried to understand it. In that capacity I think many of us look to the myths and such not so much for inspiration and filling but to try and connect to the mystical influence it had upon both the material aspect of the time but also the psychic of the people. I think many of the older stories and such also tied many things people though and felt and sort of hide it in plain site.

I recall I had to read Shakespeare for some college classes and at times the implied or assumed idea's touched me more than his actual works. The complexity of some stories relying so heavily upon presumed public perspective and knowledge of things. So they are hinted at, sometimes even out and out mocked yet today it's harder to see it as we do not have the culture, social and ethical influences coloring our world view. Consider if I start talking about The Globe theater most historical based people will know right away I am speaking of England, London, the Theater in the Round and that it was located outside of the city limits. Some may even known that the woman's role's would have been performed by young boys or very effeminate teens or men as women were not allowed to act in theater for many years.

So there is the sense of illusion, the sense of knowing yet not knowing, the magical construct of implying things yet never stating it as factual for the crowd already knew that aspect and relied heavily upon their own opinions, prejudices, economic status, etc.

For myself I think that is the part in history, mythology, myths and legends, that many pagan's touch upon and seek out. It's the mystery and implied knowledge that is hinted at that in some ways I think we believe we should already know. So it's not really human traits and reasoning we attribute or equate to or upon the divine as much as that mystery and unknown that is revealed in the story but never told directly to us because its implied or assumed we already have it in some capacity.

Sorry this probably makes no sense so please dismiss it if you desire.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Re: Recommended Shamanism Resources Thread

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      I'll say I don't think being pagan means you should be into history, mythology or myths and legends. I do agree for many of us those same fields do tend to offer us hints or clues as to how people saw the divine and even how they tried to understand it. In that capacity I think many of us look to the myths and such not so much for inspiration and filling but to try and connect to the mystical influence it had upon both the material aspect of the time but also the psychic of the people. I think many of the older stories and such also tied many things people though and felt and sort of hide it in plain site.

I recall I had to read Shakespeare for some college classes and at times the implied or assumed idea's touched me more than his actual works. The complexity of some stories relying so heavily upon presumed public perspective and knowledge of things. So they are hinted at, sometimes even out and out mocked yet today it's harder to see it as we do not have the culture, social and ethical influences coloring our world view. Consider if I start talking about The Globe theater most historical based people will know right away I am speaking of England, London, the Theater in the Round and that it was located outside of the city limits. Some may even known that the woman's role's would have been performed by young boys or very effeminate teens or men as women were not allowed to act in theater for many years.

So there is the sense of illusion, the sense of knowing yet not knowing, the magical construct of implying things yet never stating it as factual for the crowd already knew that aspect and relied heavily upon their own opinions, prejudices, economic status, etc.

For myself I think that is the part in history, mythology, myths and legends, that many pagan's touch upon and seek out. It's the mystery and implied knowledge that is hinted at that in some ways I think we believe we should already know. So it's not really human traits and reasoning we attribute or equate to or upon the divine as much as that mystery and unknown that is revealed in the story but never told directly to us because its implied or assumed we already have it in some capacity.

Sorry this probably makes no sense so please dismiss it if you desire.
      Actually, I do understand where you're coming from, because this is kind of what happens when I'm inspired by fiction. It wasn't too long ago that I posted here about a children's story I read about a woodpecker that sold sounds to the animals of a birch wood. The story was actually quietly nodding at the idea that kids should learn to sit still and be quiet when told, although it never said this directly. It was a hidden message, an embedded suggestion if you will. Yet my adult mind didn't take the story this way. I was really moved. I mean deeply affected, by its unintended message. I daresay it was the first of several little pushes that eventually led me to start meditating every day after getting out of bed. So the idea that a person can receive an unspoken message from a story, on some deep spiritual level, really makes sense to me. And yet there is still this blank in my mind when it comes to the stories left by those societies that came before us. Perhaps for some reason, I'm just not ready. I mean, if I can be affected by a hidden message that the author of a story didn't even intend to put there, I can imagine those old myths could just blow my mind!
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
      X