Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little to open?

Sep 2014
    Religion
    Northern one-thing-or-the-other.

Re: A little to open?

Quote Originally Posted by Hagazusa View Post
    Some scientists also think that misfunctioning mirror neurons might be the cause of autism. Personally, I think that's way more believable then the Vaccination Theory. However, I happen to know a lot of autistic people, and I'm convinced that some of them are empaths. These people have told me about experiences that sound suspiciously like empathic abilities. And being around them a lot, I noticed that their overall behavior is very different from that of the other autistic people I know. So either way the Broken Mirror Neuron Theory is wrong, or empathy is far more complicated then we think.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    Interesting! I subbed for a couple of years as an assistant for special needs students. Also my best friend has three younger siblings with autism and a fourth with Aspergers.
    From my personal (but admittedly limited) experience autists are the last people I would expect to be empaths... The ones I've gotten to know have been so busy decoding their own emotions they hardly noticed the people around them, even less acknowledge their emotions. One guy even told me about how he had been taught, and constantly has to remind himself, how to interpret other peoples facial expressions/body language - which seemed to me like a full time project for him.
    Of course everyone is different and what is true about one person might not be true about another. So anyway I'd love to hear more about your experiences with empath autists.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Since the "vaccination theory" is absolutely, totally, completely, without any doubt, demonstrably, wrong, and proven to be the result of fraud, I'd say your odds of being right are reasonable.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Since when have humans ever been reasonable,when it is so easy to just go with "The sky is falling"?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Sep 2014
    Phrase
    Don't turn around. That thing standing right behind you will only get pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Since when have humans ever been reasonable,when it is so easy to just go with "The sky is falling"?
    Well said, sir. Or ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by Odahviing View Post
    Interesting! I subbed for a couple of years as an assistant for special needs students. Also my best friend has three younger siblings with autism and a fourth with Aspergers.
    From my personal (but admittedly limited) experience autists are the last people I would expect to be empaths... The ones I've gotten to know have been so busy decoding their own emotions they hardly noticed the people around them, even less acknowledge their emotions. One guy even told me about how he had been taught, and constantly has to remind himself, how to interpret other peoples facial expressions/body language - which seemed to me like a full time project for him.
    Of course everyone is different and what is true about one person might not be true about another. So anyway I'd love to hear more about your experiences with empath autists.
    Hey, I was just as surprised as you are. But empaths are a very rare occurance among autistic people. And to be frank, maybe that's not such a bad thing. As you already stated, most autists inherintly have trouble with sorting through their own emotions. Imagine how it would be for them to sort through the emotions and energies of other people too! In my experience, most of those autists are forced to adopt clever coping strategies, or else they would just break down!

In contradiction to what we now about the "average autist", most empathic autists are actually quite good at "pretending". They push all those confusing impressions to the furthest corner of their mind and throw up a proverbal wall around themselves. Then they create a persona to present to themselves and the outside world. They do this because they otherwise can't deal with the things they experience. Often they seem to be kind of detached from reality. More so then other autists. Don't be mistaken, though. There's A LOT of activity going on within their minds. But when you gain their thrust, they will lower their protective walls, and you will be able to catch a glimpse of what's really going on in there. I had the pleasure of experiencing this before, and I consider myself priviledged

Aug 2014
    Religion
    pagan i dont care for labels or titles

I have only met one person with auspergers (sp?). The rest of the austistic kids have fasinated me I wonder if their hearing is more fine tuned as well. One girl the floresent lights humming would drive her mad. She would rock and hum plugging her ears. If we turned off the lights she would be so happy. I never heard the noise. Off topic sorry.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

I hear fluorescents. It's incredibly annoying, but I tune it out pretty well these days.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

I can hear the electricity in my apartment,sometimes it is annoying. Over the years I have learned to kind of tune it out.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    I hear fluorescents. It's incredibly annoying, but I tune it out pretty well these days.
    Me too. I hear the fridge, the cd player if it's not off at the wall all sorts.

But then I struggle to hear other, nornal things. Like if I'm sitting in the back seat of a car, I cannot hear the conversation in front at all. Road noise maybe? No idea.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Sep 2014
    Religion
    Northern one-thing-or-the-other.

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    Me too. I hear the fridge, the cd player if it's not off at the wall all sorts.
    Me too. Every time the power goes out I just revel in how quiet things get, when all the background whirring goes away. I've been told my mother used to do that too.
    (And now I feel like we're getting off topic.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Tao-Witch (I draw from both Eastern & Western practices)
    Phrase
    Live, Learn, Love.

With the autism (ASD), one of the best explanations to date is that the brains of those with ASD don't go through the same synaptic pruning as others - it is a necessary part of our development to weed out some connections and make others stronger - there are a few other things associated with it as well. (Most of my family suffers from ASD in one form or another).

When it comes to legitimacy of empathy, there have been a few studies. I'm glad someone brought up mirror neurons - which also are a crucial part of visual learning and mimicry. There's also the 'stare sense' - we tend to have a better then 50/50 chance to detect if someone or something is staring at us seemingly without external input.

There's probably a good chance that it might very well be pheromone based, which may go to explain the larger number of women empaths vs men.
    It is also not uncommon for empaths to suffer from other sensitivities and it might be this increased hyper-awareness that lends itself to what we think of as empathy/precognition/etc.

To be honest it is probably a combination of things..but to get back to the OP - I don't think it's weird, bizarre or reading to much into anything. There is a reason that instinct/intuition is there, something is triggering it. but even in the case of 'chasing shadows' it is generally better to err on the side of caution.