Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dads creative way to. see his teenage son off to school

http://m.awkwardfamilyphotos.com/201...omment-4110738

Made me smile I would love for my dad to be on this level of embarassing.

Re: Dads creative way to. see his teenage son off to school

Maybe it's just because I'm not a mother, but...

That seems like an awful waste of money, just to insure years of embarrassment and humiliation on the part of the teenager. I bet that teen hates his father well into his twenties.

Mostly art.

Comment

I don't know, I think it would depend on the kid and their relationship as well as the reactions of the other kids. If as a teenager a friend's dad would have done this? We would have made a fan club for the guy. If anything, this would have benefited the kid a lot. Not to mention if this is your dad, chances are you've been raised with a robust sense of humor.

Comment

haha I think it's kinda funny.

I would have been humiliated by something like this as a teen, but my friends would have thought my parents were cool for doing it. I wouldn't have hated my dad well into my 20s. I grew out of being embarrassed by my parents at about 19. I agree with Rowanwood...if this is dad's sense of humor, the kid will probably appreciate it at some point.

Comment

My mom used to tell me "If you think I'm embarassing now, let me know. I'll show you the true meaning of embarassing. There are kids out there that would be happy for the embarassment of a parent that cares about them," whenever I tried to use the "I'm to old for a hug, etc" stuff.

Considering the dad apparently did it in response to not wanting to be waved to...I think its pretty hilarous. I wonder at the back story, but having a 16 year old brother, he probably deserves a little parental embarassment from time to time (maybe daily, for about 30 seconds). I tend to think a kid whose parent loves them enough to do something silly like this is probably well adjusted enough to handle it.

Ah, here we go...apparently kid has a sense of humor.

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
          I don't know, I think it would depend on the kid and their relationship as well as the reactions of the other kids. If as a teenager a friend's dad would have done this? We would have made a fan club for the guy. If anything, this would have benefited the kid a lot. Not to mention if this is your dad, chances are you've been raised with a robust sense of humor.
          Ditto. My dad had issues (drinking, OCD), and while he could be a real jerk, he could be really cool too--Halloween was awesome and my parties all had funny themes with bizarre practical jokes that my friends loved. And, he would let us borrow his old 70's and early 80's clothes and do horribly obnoxious things to them--sewing projects, painting, etc. Once we decided to face paint and he let us face paint his bald head.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            Maybe it's just because I'm not a mother, but...

That seems like an awful waste of money, just to insure years of embarrassment and humiliation on the part of the teenager. I bet that teen hates his father well into his twenties.
            My dad showed up in front of friends so drunk he stood there peeing on himself unaware (happened alot) or he would defcate on himself. Invision meeting your friends at say grocery store and your father walks up smelling of beer and urine and a puddle appears underneath him. That being said I think some teenagers need to be thanful for having real parents. I grew up around a few kids who thought their home lives were true horrors. They met my dad gained a real appreciation for how nice their life is.

And I had it better then some others I am thankfull for my childhood.

Comment

On my seventeenth birthday, my grandmother walked into my home-ec class carrying a bouquet of shiny, meant-for-a-five-year-old helium balloons, with cute shapes and balloons drawn on them. It was horrifyingly embarrassing. When she left, she left a note, and all it said was "Don't shoot the messenger - this was your mother's idea". Turns out, my mother called my history teacher, coordinated the whole thing over a cup of coffee, he let my grandmother into the school during the appropriate time, showed her the way to my class, and the rest, is history.

I was mad at them all for probably a week or more.

It's one of those things that at the time wasn't really that funny, and you know, still isn't really all that funny.

Mostly art.

Comment

Really just balloons? My childhood would probably have you mad at them way past your twenties.

I wish that was the most embrassing that happened to me. I would of been happy somebody thought of me and remembered my birthday at all. My friends would love it if that happened to them. Then again kids had been teasing me all grade school so at 17 they could of brought it.

But I embrass my older sister constantly she is under some notion that life is a fashion show.

Comment

See, when I was a teenager (and, really, now even) I was a shy person. I did not like being the center of attention. I preferred to blend into the crowd. So if my dad had done something like this, I would have been mortified.

Personally, I think this is kind of mean of the dad. As kids get older, they want to be shown more independence and treated as more of an adult. But, like everyone else said, it depends on the kid's sense of humor. For me, though, I would hate this.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
                    Really just balloons? My childhood would probably have you mad at them way past your twenties.

I wish that was the most embrassing that happened to me. I would of been happy somebody thought of me and remembered my birthday at all. My friends would love it if that happened to them. Then again kids had been teasing me all grade school so at 17 they could of brought it.

But I embrass my older sister constantly she is under some notion that life is a fashion show.
                    You know what, I get it. You had a shitty childhood. You've told us. Most of us here have also had shitty childhoods. I never said that was the most embarrassing thing that's happened to me. I was relating one story of my youth, to explain why I would have disliked to have a parent do what was done in the article to me. I dislike being embarrassed. I'm not trying to compare who's asshole father was worse.

Mostly art.

Comment

e
                      Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      You know what, I get it. You had a shitty childhood. You've told us. Most of us here have also had shitty childhoods. I never said that was the most embarrassing thing that's happened to me. I was relating one story of my youth, to explain why I would have disliked to have a parent do what was done in the article to me. I dislike being embarrassed. I'm not trying to compare who's asshole father was worse.
                      Not trying to compare whose childhood is the worse.

I just find it interesting what people consider embarassing just like my friend who cant leave her house without make up on.

Did I get embarassed for stupid reasons as a child? Yes. Did I think it was stupid then? No. Do I now? Yes. But I dont consider small things to be upset about into adulthood. This isn't an attack on you we just have difference in opinions.

Comment

I think my reaction would vary based on how long I had to put up with it.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                        X