This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women blamed for her own rape

The Pennsylvania attorney general's office is blaming a former state prison clerk for her own rape, in response to a federal lawsuit the woman filed.

The 24-year-old typist was working at the state prison at Rockview in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, when she was attacked in 2013. She was choked unconscious and raped for 27 minutes by inmate Omar Best, who had been convicted three times previously of sex-related crimes, and then been transferred from a different state prison for assaulting a female assistant there.

"Despite this knowledge, defendants ... still allowed Omar Best to have unsupervised access to the offices of female employees," according to the lawsuit, which also blames the state for the rape.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/24/justic...epage-t&page=1

Re: Women blamed for her own rape

I'm going to sue Hostess for making those ding dongs I like to eat.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

How tired are we of this bullsh*t anyway? If someone does something to you, no matter what it is, against your will - how can it be your own fault?

Comment

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it almost seems like someone in the prison admin was either trying to set Omar Best up for failure... or trying to put the female clerk in danger:

In fact, the lawsuit says that the prison superintendent actually moved the clerk offices from a secure floor where there was no inmate contact to a location that was on a cell block.

Why was that done? What justification was there? And why was Best allowed to be out of his cell with access to clerical offices when any females were employed by the prison in the first place?
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Don't know about setting Best up but it sure could be read as someone was putting the woman, or women in general, in her (their) place as well. Moved from a secure place to an open access and no guards about nor alarm other than a whistle to blow for alarm. Understaffed or not that seems like it was asking for something to happen and the protections removed to ensure it happened.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm still baffled that inmates had direct, unsupervised access to any prison personnel other than corrections officers. WTF was going on here?
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              I'm still baffled that inmates had direct, unsupervised access to any prison personnel other than corrections officers. WTF was going on here?
              ^^ Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                Agreed.

I am so beyond sick of this whole "blame the victim" mentality. The attorney general's office people ought to be ousted for that type of thinking. We don't need people in power who feel this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Arella View Post
                  Agreed.

I am so beyond sick of this whole "blame the victim" mentality. The attorney general's office people ought to be ousted for that type of thinking. We don't need people in power who feel this way.
                  Agreed get them out.

Comment

Working...
                  X