Les miserables!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Les miserables!!!

I'm a huge dork over Les Miserables. Like, a gigantic stupidly big fan, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person here who enjoys it ;P

So what do you love about Les Miserables? Who are your favorite people in it? GO!
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Re: Les miserables!!!

"what do you love about Les Miserables." Said someone who is expecting a much shorter answer than they could get. I could write a novel-length paper about this. I'm serious. I'm obsessed, my friends and family are beginning to think it's a major issue.

but you asked what my favorite things about Les Mis were!! so, without further ado.... *clears throat, gets out red flag, climbs on top of a barricade that I just built* RED!!! THE BLOOD OF ANGRY MEN!!!!!!!! BLACK! THE DARK OF AGES PAST!!!!!!!!!

Favorite characters:
    1. ENJOLRAS. Words cannot express how much I love this man.
    2. Combeferre. Logic of the Revolution. Hell yeah. (Mal, you're a total Combeferre)
    3. Courfeyrac. The glue that keeps Les Amis together.
    4. JEHAN. Jehan Prouvaire. Come here and let me hug you, sweetie.
    5. Feuilly. Working man of the people, representative of the proletariat.... just all around awesome. Vivent les peuples.
    6. .... wait a sec, am I just going to keep listing other members of Les Amis?? Answer: yes. yes I am. I love them the best, that's not a secret, and I couldn't hide it even if I tried. But I don't really want to put them all in some kind of strange, rigid order, that's ridiculous and a little unfair. So, the rest of Les Amis: Bahorel, Bossuet, Joly, and Grantaire. You're all awesome. Keep fighting for what you believe in (yeah, even you, Grantaire.)

Favorite characters outside of Les Amis de l'ABC:
    1. Jean Valjean. The world needs more people like this guy right here.
    2. Fantine. FANTINE. The woman who got the shortest possible end of the stick. If anyone in this franchise needs a hug, it's her.
    3. Eponine. Also deserving of an enormous hug. ... actually, they all are.
    4. GAVROCHE. Bravest 12 year old I know. Keep being awesome. Keep taking advantage of Napoleon.
    5. Cosette. Cosette's amazing and sweet and I love her too.
    6. Marius.... how do I even begin to describe Marius Pontmercy. He's a bit creepy, very much a stalker, but I guess he redeems himself at the barricades by saving everybody.... even though they all died anyway...... but he IS very brave at the barricades. And Empty Chairs at Empty Tables always makes me cry.

So... if it wasn't evident by that list of my favorites, which is mostly comprised of student revolutionaries, my favorite part of Les Miserables is the revolution. Obviously. But that's not just because I love Les Amis, it's because of the ideals they're fighting for which are somehow still relevant today. It's about hope and freedom and symbolic struggles and very real struggles, and it's about how everything and everyone is tied together, and the Revolution touches them all in some way or another. Like I said, I could write a novel-length paper about this thing and why I love it, but instead, I'm just gonna stop here and go look for a Hugo quote that describes everything I was just touching on. I know there is one.

Comment

I've seen Les Miserables a number of times on Broadway, and was always disappointed that the New York version was a bit different from the London version. One of the main differences was the development of Gavroshe.

Overall, it's always been one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
        I've seen Les Miserables a number of times on Broadway, and was always disappointed that the New York version was a bit different from the London version. One of the main differences was the development of Gavroshe.

Overall, it's always been one of my favorites.
        oooo, could you please elaborate on the London/New York differences please 0_0!????

Comment

"So long as there shall exist, by reason of law and custom, a social condemnation which, in the midst of civilization, artificially creates a Hell on Earth, and complicates with human fatality a destiny that is divine; so long as the three problems of the century - the degradation of man by the exploitation of his labor, the ruin of woman by starvation, and the atrophy of childhood by physical and spiritual night - are not solved; so long as, in certain regions, social asphyxia shall be possible; in other words, and from a still broader point of view, so long as ignorance and misery remain on Earth, there shall be a need for books such as this." -Victor Hugo, in describing Les Miserables.

I know it's a long quote (all one sentence, too. Damn, Hugo, your sentence structure is... kind of dizzying at times.) But basically, he's saying that as long as the problems he talks about in his novel still exist, then there is still a need for novels such as Les Mis. And you know what? They do still exist. Mal already shared the promo video for the Dallas production of Les Mis, which is set in modern day and which helps immensely in pointing out that these problems still exist. Police brutality, injustice in the justice system, prostitution, starvation, all of the working classes myriad issues, oppressive and corrupt governments... all these are still present in our society today. Which is why books like Les Miserables are still necessary and relevant. Which is just one of the MANY reasons why I love this novel SO. DAMN. MUCH.

I could go on all day, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
            "So long as there shall exist, by reason of law and custom, a social condemnation which, in the midst of civilization, artificially creates a Hell on Earth, and complicates with human fatality a destiny that is divine; so long as the three problems of the century - the degradation of man by the exploitation of his labor, the ruin of woman by starvation, and the atrophy of childhood by physical and spiritual night - are not solved; so long as, in certain regions, social asphyxia shall be possible; in other words, and from a still broader point of view, so long as ignorance and misery remain on Earth, there shall be a need for books such as this." -Victor Hugo, in describing Les Miserables.

I know it's a long quote (all one sentence, too. Damn, Hugo, your sentence structure is... kind of dizzying at times.) But basically, he's saying that as long as the problems he talks about in his novel still exist, then there is still a need for novels such as Les Mis. And you know what? They do still exist. Mal already shared the promo video for the Dallas production of Les Mis, which is set in modern day and which helps immensely in pointing out that these problems still exist. Police brutality, injustice in the justice system, prostitution, starvation, all of the working classes myriad issues, oppressive and corrupt governments... all these are still present in our society today. Which is why books like Les Miserables are still necessary and relevant. Which is just one of the MANY reasons why I love this novel SO. DAMN. MUCH.

I could go on all day, honestly.
            I think this is one of the reasons it touched me so much to. Knowing that while these struggles aren't new, people fighting for justice against such societal wrongs aren't either, and we haven't been alone in that.

Of course, it also saddens me we're still fighting a lot of the same basic problems so long later.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
              oooo, could you please elaborate on the London/New York differences please 0_0!????
              The differences are relatively slight, unless you've spent quite some time listening to and relating to one soundtrack, and then are suddenly exposed to the other. It really comes down to certain character development that was cut or even certain songs removed in the New York version. Gavroche's song doesn't appear in the New York version, nor does the humming/wordless duet between Valjean and Cossette as they are walking together (her singing the melody of "Castle on a Cloud" while he does harmony above it). Also, Eponine doesn't come across quite as tragic in the New York version due to character development being left out.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                The differences are relatively slight, unless you've spent quite some time listening to and relating to one soundtrack, and then are suddenly exposed to the other. It really comes down to certain character development that was cut or even certain songs removed in the New York version. Gavroche's song doesn't appear in the New York version, nor does the humming/wordless duet between Valjean and Cossette as they are walking together (her singing the melody of "Castle on a Cloud" while he does harmony above it). Also, Eponine doesn't come across quite as tragic in the New York version due to character development being left out.
                AHhhhhh I see. I've heard so many different soundtracks to Les Mis without keeping track of where they were from I didn't realize that was a London/New York split!

Comment

Always enjoyed the Bishop. Was never interested enough to go through the rest but the Bishop was always fun.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    Always enjoyed the Bishop. Was never interested enough to go through the rest but the Bishop was always fun.
                    I love the Bishop! Which reminds me of this appropriate tumblr post:
                    http://tardistogongen.tumblr.com/pos...olorfeels-took

Comment

I've listened to the 10th Anniversary Royal Albert Concert Hall version about a trillion times, seen it on a DVD along with another concert version, and seen both the films. But I've never seen it on stage... if it ever comes to Adelaide again, we are going to see it as Torey is an enthusiast and I enjoy the story. He recently bought the book so that I could read it, but I've not started yet (I keep forgetting about it, to be honest, and you've just reminded me).

I'm sure Torey will be along to contribute once he's made pancakes for lunch and then planted his beans...

Comment

Comment

Apparently, talking about Les Mis was more important than planting beans!

Comment

Don't be embarrassed at all. Nightingale, like myself, is a total nerd when it comes to Les Miserables.

You're among your own kind here lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                              I've listened to the 10th Anniversary Royal Albert Concert Hall version about a trillion times, seen it on a DVD along with another concert version, and seen both the films. But I've never seen it on stage... if it ever comes to Adelaide again, we are going to see it as Torey is an enthusiast and I enjoy the story. He recently bought the book so that I could read it, but I've not started yet (I keep forgetting about it, to be honest, and you've just reminded me).

I'm sure Torey will be along to contribute once he's made pancakes for lunch and then planted his beans...
                              ooh, you should definitely read the book, it's so good. very long, with lots of tangents, but INCREDIBLY good. my favorite book.

Comment

Working...
                              X