X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting rid of household pests...

household pests are hard to get rid of it to our house ,
    you should ask help for professional company .

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
      [quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1037.msg19151#msg19151 date=1291259368]
      Feed the dogs a good bit of brewers yeast in their food ... As much as you can get them to eat ... Fleas hate it ...
      Can you feed that stuff to cats too? My kitties are strictly indoors so I don't know how they got fleas. I've been flea free for years. I tried the Frontline stuff, but it didn't work at all. Maybe they have "super fleas"...great. >[/QUOTE]

I found this looking for remedies to treat our dogs for fleas

If you are a pet owner you will probably already know that the spring and summer are when the flea population multiplies. Fleas are annoying and can irritate and bite both you and your pet which can lead to scabs and skin lesions. Fleas are the most troublesome in the spring and summer as this is when they begin breeding outside and start jumping around the grass eventually making their way into your home. If you have an indoor pet you are still likely to develop a flea problem on your furniture, carpet and pet. There are many different ways to get rid of fleas but as a pet owner, I have a concern for using a chemical-based product due to the potential toxins this creates in the house. Looking up information on the Internet about how to get rid of fleas naturally inside my home has lead me to a simple and inexpensive remedy. Salt and baking soda was something I stumbled upon and thought that this was an inexpensive and safe way to remove fleas, but I was very skeptical of this. If you have a flea problem in your house and want safe alternatives to get rid of them, using salt and baking soda might just be a solution.Salt and baking soda are two common household items that you can find just about anywhere and you can get them both for about 4 dollars. It is a good idea to buy the bigger containers of salt, any kind will work but Morton's is one of the best brands of salt for this flea treatment. For this natural indoor flea remedy you are going to also need a broom so you can push the salt and baking soda into the carpet. Using natural remedies to kill fleas in the carpet is something I was interested in since most flea products are toxic chemicals. When you have a flea infestation in your home it can really become a nuisance because they multiply within days and can get all over your furniture and bedding. To eliminate fleas from your home you need to remove them from your carpets while killing the eggs and the adult fleas as well. A lot of products do not end up killing both the adult flea and the eggs but baking soda and salt seems to really work. You can mix the two products together in a container or you can apply them separately to your carpet which is what I ended up doing. You also want to remove your pet from the areas you are going to treat especially if your pet likes to lay on the carpet. A pet on the carpet of the treated areas might become irritated and have a burning sensation occur on their fur if they have open flea bites coming in contact with the salt.
      The first thing you want to do when you are using the baking soda and salt treatment to kill fleas is remove all of your furniture from the carpet you want to treat. Take the salt first and sprinkle it fairly heavily onto your carpets going from right to left, applying liberally. I used about one-third of the big salt container for each flea-removal application so depending on the size and number of carpets you treat will determine how much salt to use. Make sure you cover the whole room in a light salt drizzle so that you will be killing the fleas from every aspect of the carpet. Then you want to use the same process for the baking soda, applying liberally from one corner of the room to the next corner. You do not need to use as much baking soda since it can be a hassle when it comes time to using the broom but you want to make sure you sprinkle it throughout the carpet. Once you have both products on the carpet, take your broom and sweep from right to left so that your carpet is absorbing the salt and baking soda. The key to killing the flea eggs is to get deep into the carpet fibers where the flea eggs are most likely to be so make sure you sweep firmly into the carpet. You can leave this flea treatment on your carpet anywhere from 12 hours to a week depending how severe the flea infestation is inside your home.
      The salt and baking soda works by basically dehydrating the flea and eggs so they are unable to survive, which will eventually kill them. Since flea eggs hatch within about three days, it is important you keep repeating the salt and baking soda treatment everyday for at least three to four days. Personally, I would put the concoction together on the carpet in the evening and leave it overnight until the next afternoon but it can be done at any time within the day. After you have left the treatment on the carpet for a while, you need to vacuum the fleas up so that you can get rid of the dying or dead and start the process over again. If you are using a vacuum that has a bag with it, you need to empty the bag or throw the bag away immediately following the cleaning. Using a debris canister on a bagless vacuum is easier than throwing away bags but again you should empty the contents immediately following the cleaning. You want to throw away the contents of the vacuum outside in your trash can as opposed to the one in the house because fleas will jump out of the inside trash can and infest your carpets all over again. When you are vacuuming it is important to use the tile setting or bare floors setting because you want the vacuum to get deep into your carpets, even if this makes it hard to push the vacuum.
      If you repeat this process for about four days or a week, you will be one step closer to getting rid of the fleas for good. I have been doing this for a week and after being reluctant to drizzle salt all over I have realized it really does work. The only bad thing about it is that when you apply the salt and baking soda, it makes the fleas very active since they are trying to get away from the treatment. During the treatment on the carpet, you might want to wear slippers or shoes because the fleas will end up jumping on your legs left and right. This process does work however it will not essentially kill all of the fleas. The most important aspect of killing fleas is vacuuming the carpet everyday whether you use a natural remedy or not. The salt and baking soda flea treatment is great because it is not toxic to people or pets and it is very inexpensive to buy. Products like Raid cost about eight dollars for a spray bottle and might only last for one application depending on the amount of carpet you have. Raid and similar products are also very toxic and can harm both you and your pet if ingested or inhaled which is a common concern for people with an indoor pet. Using salt and baking soda is actually one of the best natural ways to get rid of fleas because it kills both the flea and egg so reproduction is not likely. If you are looking for a safe, natural and inexpensive way to get rid of fleas in your home and on your carpet, then this is something you should start doing.

Sorry it is so long....... xxx
      http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

Something I've noticed over the past year in this apartment: I can keep my apartment scrupulously clean, and still get roaches wandering in from other units. We're close to a water treatment plant, so we get three different kinds.

In addition to boric acid, I've found that strong incense seems to discourage them, oddly enough. I've started smudging all the cupboards and closets once a week or so.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Twice we've had ants invade our home, and after a few different methods of getting rid of them I've just resorted to hair-spraying all the ones I see climbing around, cleaning out the entire area (sweeping and mopping behind all furniture), and putting down those little disc traps. Stupid things just run into my house whenever it storms. -.-

Comment

Years ago, I lived in an apt. that was overrun with roaches. To this day I can't look at pictures of them. YUCK. My neighbor across the street here has ants, but not too many. Those disc traps seem to do the trick. Putting down a line of cayenne pepper at the doorway is good for a lot of pests but every time it rains or gets windy it has to be refreshed.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Coffee grinds work well at repelling slugs and snails, I use it to mulch around all my veg.

don't let pets eat slugs and snails, they are vectors for lungworm which is not nice :/
              Also remember that its important to break the cycle of flea reproduction around your pets as they are vectors for tapeworm, its one reason why we push owners to keep up to date with flea and worm treatments, and to use multi faceted treatments ( environmental cleaning not just animal treatment).

Comment

I had a friend use peppermint oil and water in a spray bottle to get rid of a lot of bugs. I guess they hate peppermint. She said she could watch them running away from it.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Most pests also hate lavender. Generally, a lot of herbs that are pleasant to us are repulsive to insects and small mammals.

Comment

Feral cats. I have a lovely bird habitat in the back yard, and they climb the chain link fence and hunt. There are 3 who were born last year, and one of those had kittens this year. Those haven't come in my yard yet but they will when they're old enough. The city here does nothing about cats, there are no rescues who will come trap them, and I just want them to stay off my property. I've tried lime juice, lemon juice, vinegar, some sulphur-smelling granules I bought, fox urine, cayenne pepper, and a battery-powered gizmo that makes a sound that should scare them (sent that back for a refund).

They just lie in a pile of all of the above LOL. I really don't want to shoot them but it's at that point. They are going to multiply exponentially. Does anyone know anything that will REALLY work, without hurting the birds or costing a small fortune??
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                      Feral cats. I have a lovely bird habitat in the back yard, and they climb the chain link fence and hunt. There are 3 who were born last year, and one of those had kittens this year. Those haven't come in my yard yet but they will when they're old enough. The city here does nothing about cats, there are no rescues who will come trap them, and I just want them to stay off my property. I've tried lime juice, lemon juice, vinegar, some sulphur-smelling granules I bought, fox urine, cayenne pepper, and a battery-powered gizmo that makes a sound that should scare them (sent that back for a refund).
                      Have you tried a motion-senor sprinkler?

(or, you could try getting a coyote )*

*I joke, but I'm sort of serious...coyotes are good to deal with feral cats (from people that feed them), the Canada goose overpopulation problem (from people that feed them), plus they take care of mice and rats. But, they'd probably also be a nuisance for the birds too. Less so than the cats, I would think, because its a different type of hunting...but still a potential problem once they cleared out the cats, the geese, etc.
                      Last edited by thalassa; 29 Jul 2013, 15:19.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

There are coyotes around, but not close enough. I might try a sprinkler. There's one cat in particular who seems to have given up his brain for pizza toppings long ago. He runs after birds in the air( Lol , hilarious to watch) and keeps coming back in the yard after he's been chased. I don't want to do razor wire or electric fencing. But I might......
                        sigpic

Comment

I'll ask for my mom, because I think she might really like to have fruit trees, but racoons are a problem.

Anyone know how to keep raccoons out of the yard? She tried those motion sensor sprinklers. They're great for a lot of animals, but racoons are really smart. When something scares them once, it doesn't seem to scare them a second time.

Comment

Here are some tips I know of...
                            Diatomaceous earth is great for all kinds of insect pests like ant, bed bugs, fleas etc:

For worms and things on fruit trees, there is a biodynamic preparation using 33% clay, 33% cow manure, 33% sand. You mix it into a stiff slurry and apply it thickly in late winter to the entire trunk of the tree up to the lower branches. It fertilises the tree, it seals in insect larvae and boring insects so they die, and it confuses crawling insects that are expecting the smell and texture of wood.

For tree nibblers like deer, mice, goats etc, there is a preparation made from bones you can apply and it lasts about 10 years:
                            http://www.permies.comSepp Holzer explains how to make his bone sauce. And why. It was originally for use when castrating animals. A bit of the salve was...

Hope someone finds this useful :-)

Comment

I've got bed bugs and so does half the city here in Louisville.

Comment

So... I saw a mouse run through the ceiling rafters in my basement, then heard it run down the back wall of the basement. I know hope it was a mouse (white/light grey underbelly, probably about 3 inches long). I've never seen droppings, footprints, or any other evidence that we've had mice in the house and I'm hoping it's just a single mouse whose found a warm space from the frigid outdoor temperatures. But realistically... I know that mice breed like... mice.

I've set a trap near where I believe it's coming out from the wall upstairs, but I doubt one trap will do the trick. I'll have to pick up some more.

What gets to me is that there have been no signs of mice, we don't leave food lying out or anything, and what I'm really afraid of is it getting into my hedgehog's cage (because we do leave food out for the hedgehog, naturally). I don't really want to find out who would win in a fight, my hedgehog or a mouse. So does anyone have any tips, insights, experiences regarding getting rid of mice?

Comment

Working...
                                X