Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of household pests...

Oct 2010
    Religion
    eclectic, leaning Dianic Wiccan (ask me what this DOESN'T mean about my views on transgendered women's rights!)

Re: Getting rid of household pests...

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=1037.msg27009#msg27009 date=1294315844]
    Or try an offering to Apollo.
    [/quote]

I hang out with his sister, but don't know as much about him. Because of associations with husbandry and healing?

[quote author=Maulus link=topic=1037.msg27005#msg27005 date=1294309934]
    Have you tried putting black pepper on the beds they are using? we used to use it where our cats decided to toilet behind the TV. The smell irritates their noses and they tend to not go back for a while.

Failing that, stand guard with a high powered water pistol and shoot them with it when they get to the beds, a couple of times of being soaked and they won't want to come back.
    [/quote]

I'll suggest the pepper. Unfortunately he can't afford to hire a garden guard, and there are a lot of cats who each only come sometimes... though the image of the family cycling through super soaker cat guard duty is pretty darn amusing :
    “If it’s a good idea and it gets you excited, try it, and if it bursts into flames, that’s going to be exciting too. People always ask, ‘What is your greatest failure?’ I always have the same answer — We’re working on it right now, it’s gonna be awesome!”- Jim Coudal

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    Ask me about my crippling shyness.

Another common pest: cockroaches *bleh*
    Hate hate hate them!

Cockroaches hate salt, so placing rock salt around the place is a great way to keep them out. Also good if you have small children, since they won't be harmed by eating the salt (as opposed to bait) Either that or get a cat :P

Oh, and snails. Crushing up egg shells and outgun them on the garden keeps slugs and snails away. They can't slide over them because it cuts their bodies up, but the eggs don't harm your plants. (salt also works, but is a horrible idea on a garden :P)

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=1037.msg27100#msg27100 date=1294350752]
    I hang out with his sister, but don't know as much about him. Because of associations with husbandry and healing?

[/quote]

As Apollo Smintheus he presided over mice, and there was a version of him invoked during long hot Roman summers when he presided over the ludi Apollinares or Apolline Games which were celebrated between July 6th and the 13th in order to invoke the god’s help in sickness and war and ward off diseases associated with the heat of summer.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Oct 2010
    Religion
    eclectic, leaning Dianic Wiccan (ask me what this DOESN'T mean about my views on transgendered women's rights!)

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=1037.msg27115#msg27115 date=1294358044]
    As Apollo Smintheus he presided over mice, and there was a version of him invoked during long hot Roman summers when he presided over the ludi Apollinares or Apolline Games which were celebrated between July 6th and the 13th in order to invoke the god’s help in sickness and war and ward off diseases associated with the heat of summer.
    [/quote]

Thanks! I may do this myself quietly. (Don't think the guy would get it.)

[quote author=PharaohKatt link=topic=1037.msg27114#msg27114 date=1294357851]
    Oh, and snails. Crushing up egg shells and outgun them on the garden keeps slugs and snails away. They can't slide over them because it cuts their bodies up, but the eggs don't harm your plants. (salt also works, but is a horrible idea on a garden :P)
    [/quote]

You rock my sox! I'm savin' my eggshells.

In related news, I've been experimenting with copper tape as localized snail repellent. Seems to work if I put 2" of tape just below the rim of a plastic cylinder open at both ends and dig the cylinder in just enough to stand as a wall around seedlings. (I cut the bottoms off of large-ish clear plastic food containers for the cylinders.) The last time I planted carrot seedlings (sans barrier) they were all eaten within three nights. The experimental carrot planted within the barrier has survived three nights now with no damage whatsoever. Yay!
    “If it’s a good idea and it gets you excited, try it, and if it bursts into flames, that’s going to be exciting too. People always ask, ‘What is your greatest failure?’ I always have the same answer — We’re working on it right now, it’s gonna be awesome!”- Jim Coudal

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

For any animal getting into your garden, I've heard dusting it with crushed cayenne pepper keeps almost everything away. Deer, rabbits, cats. I don't know about small insects, but I could see that stuff burning any mucus membrane, aka snail bodies. Snails also hate salt, it burns them and can even kill them with long enough exposure, but salt also isn't very good for plants so...
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase

Is there a natural way I can deter spiders? I don't want to kill them, but my partner has a bit of a phobia, so I'd rather them not near the house. :/

Oct 2010
    Religion

[quote author=PharaohKatt link=topic=1037.msg28245#msg28245 date=1294822689]
    Is there a natural way I can deter spiders? I don't want to kill them, but my partner has a bit of a phobia, so I'd rather them not near the house. :/
    [/quote]

I'm glad for our spiders, they keep down the other crawlies... my partner dislikes them, but we have an arrangement whereby he doesn't kill them if I remove them whenever he spots one.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=1037.msg28248#msg28248 date=1294828164]
    I'm glad for our spiders, they keep down the other crawlies... my partner dislikes them, but we have an arrangement whereby he doesn't kill them if I remove them whenever he spots one.
    [/quote]

I'm happy to move them, but He really can't stand to be near them (phobia). Our cats take care of the other crawlies, and they get the spiders too if I'm not around to rescue them.
    We also get red backs in summer, which I really DON'T want near the house, or near me. The one spider I don't like.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

The best way to keep the spider population down is to keep the population of their prey down...they just want to be where their food is.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Banned!
    Nov 2010
    Religion
    Jewish Reconstructionaist

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=1037.msg26826#msg26826 date=1294176747]
    Wiki says mixed things about boric acid's toxicity and possible long-term side effects of exposure. Do you know anything about this? I'd love to try something new but I'm cautious.

[/quote]

If you handle it many times a day, and lots of it, it will be toxic to you. If you have pets, keep it away from them.

Otherwise, it won't bother you much.