This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting rid of household pests...

Peppermint oil is supposed to make a good mouse repellant, but you'd have to research how that would affect hedgie. We had a mouse (lets be honest, mice) in our apartment, but once I started spraying the kitchen floor (where it was coming in at) it with my personal cleaning solution (its a mix of lemon, lavender, and mint), it stopped getting into things--and then when we got the cat, its made itself scarce.

I also suggest pulling out all your appliances, furniture, etc...and cleaning your cabinets, particularly lower cabinets that might store foods in boxes or bags. Other than that, traps (and bait them with stuff that is tasty)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you, I'll have to try the peppermint thing on top of the traps.

Comment

I read the other day (because mice have invaded my garage, and my cat caught one in the house) that cat urine and poop will drive mice away. So will snake scat. Maybe get some from an exotic pets store. I can see it now: "May I help you?" "Yes, I need a container of snake poop please". If you have a cat scoop some of the wet litter and put it in a container near where the mice are going in and out, or areas they frequent. If you don't have a cat get some of its waste from a relative or friend. I know, you'll have to tolerate the ammonia smell for a while. I haven't tried it yet but I want to go this route before more drastic elimination measures.
        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Sometimes, they just run in. We had that a few times in my childhood home in Canada (which was near a forest). Once, one ran through the door and another time the cat caught one and accidentally let it go. We had a cat, but she was old and very lazy (even before she got old). I'd just try to trap it in a humane way (the couple of times we had them, we managed to trap them under containers and take them back to the forest where they belonged. Watch out for droppings and other signs of permanent residents. If you see any and you're allowed to have pets, get a cat! They don't even kill mice that much. The mice just see a predator and stay away for the most part.

My aunt and uncle got mice once. They got a cat. No more mice.

Comment

Usually once a year or so I end up with a mouse or two running around the house. You would think that with three cats, it wouldn't happen all that often at all, but two of the three couldn't care less about the mice. I sat on my couch one evening and watched as a mouse ran through the living room. Two of my cats looked up, watched it scamper past, then went back to sleep. The third, on the other hand, went utterly bonkers, and not too long after she came up with me with a present. Of course, it wasn't dead yet, but that didn't stop her from dropping it on the arm of the chair next to me.

Other than that, the last major pest issue I had was resolved two years ago, after I got divorced and my ex moved out.

Comment

Some cats seem to be bred to be mousers,I had a Cat with an ex girlfriend that was the Mouser king. This cat was always "presenting" us with its catch,He once left a dead mouse in my Ex GF's coat pocket...
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Field mice actually much prefer to live in houses - nice, warm, cozy, food filled environment.

Where I live, if you don't have mice, it's because you don't have any food in the house.

We have five cats, and we still have mice - although they live a precarious existence, and often end up as play toys for the felines...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                X