Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Thread of Buddhism Info

Addendum regarding reincarnation:

Earlier, in response to what Shahaku had written regarding reincarnation, I stated that the Buddha never taught reincarnation. Based on what I knew at the time, this was correct. However, since then I have done further research and it turns out I was not quite correct. There actually ARE teachings attributed to the Buddha regarding reincarnation. But, whether this is actually teaching the truth of reincarnation is a subject of debate.

Depending on who you ask, the Buddha may have taught the truth of reincarnation.

Or he may have been using reincarnation as a metaphor.

Or the teachings of reincarnation may have been later additions to his teaching, and attributed to him.

Or he may have used reincarnation as a trope to encourage his non-educated audience to act ethically.

Or because he had an extremely long teaching career, he may have changed his views on reincarnation over time.

The idea of rebirth is still important, though, but one may or may not believe in reincarnation. The Daili Lama certainly does...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Because Corbin vaguely mentioned it. Imma gonna put on my lecture face and talk about art. FYI, for those that don't know, my major was in studio art, which also required a heavy dose of art history. Since I didn't and don't care for European art history, I took to studying Asian and African art (hence the image of an African mask for my pic on here). In other words, I actually have a serious educational background here and do know what I'm talking about. And I'm telling you, Buddhist art is magnificent. As a matter of personal opinion of course. I will ask you to bear with me on images since I have to pull them from the net. I don't have access to the university catalog anymore, unfortunately.

Buddhist art covers everything from the giant statues around India and the general area to the Maitreya Buddha's you can pick up all over the place, even here in America (that would be the fat Buddha). From the start of Buddhism to the modern day.

This is a pretty typical statue that is displayed showing the Buddha touching the earth. I mentioned this previously. It refers to Siddhartha Guatama at the time he was tempted by Mara and called upon the earth as his witness. At times these depictions will either show him sitting on lotus blooms or sitting under the Bodhi tree.

That's a modern version and this is a bit more historical:

One of the biggest issues with the most ancient Buddhist art is that it's been lost. Even many of the great statues were destroyed when India was taken over by Pakistan (my history not related to art is a lot more shaky so someone can fill in those details). Statues such as this one which are amazing for the effort that would have had to gone into them for scale alone

- - - Updated - - -

You also have statues of the Buddha laying down, representing the story of his death (an interesting one I'll get back to)

And the Maitreya Buddha, a topic to return to.

- - - Updated - - -

These are all just examples of statues that have been seen throughout Buddhist history. There are also paintings, murals, texts (of which the calligraphic nature of some texts can be considered art), textiles, and meditative art like mandalas.

On mandala's. Often the purpose is to focus the mind and contemplate an idea. And at their heart is the transience of all things. Mandalas are traditionally made of colored sand, poured into a design. They are intricate in their details and take a significant amount of time to make and the monks typically contemplate the meaning of a particular mandala the entire time the make it, anywhere from a few hours for something small and simple to years for large and intricate mandalas. Then, when it's finished, it's swept away, symbolizing how all things come to an end, the transience of nature. I find this whole ritualized process very beautiful and full of meaning, often more so than the many other forms of art found in the Buddhist world and culture.

Paintings. Paintings often depict stories of the Buddha's life, or one of the many boddhisattvas, or future Buddha's.

Apparently I'm reaching my limit... I will come back to this.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

These (type of) Buddhist teachings really appeal to me. (Maybe subconciously influenced by things I've heard?) Before reading into it better, I had similar ideas about how to 'end suffering'. And that other translation of dukkha really makes sense! I read yet another in The Noble Eightfold Path The Way to the End of Suffering by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but this one clears it up. I look forward to reading more by you two.

& as a side note, I've been getting more interested in Alchemy too. Being inspired by those two can work out well, I think. Still to read the Golden Tractate a few times though I remember reading it as a recommendation somewhere on this forum...

Comment

< Quote of Roland's post has been removed by Staff >

Pardon my ignorance, I am but an egg.

Let me make sure I understand: the "second turning" is to Buddhism what Christianity is to Judaism - an evolution, amplification, correction, and addition (IF one is a Christian), and the "third turning" is what Mormonism is to Christianity - an evolution, amplification, correction, and addition (IF one is a Mormon)?

In other words, one chooses to accept or reject based on one's own lights? Or ignorance, as the case may be.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Shahaku
          Hey Rolond. I intend to reply in much more detail later, once in home and have a computer available, but I just wanted to ask what's your experience? Where are you coming from, getting your information, etc?
          His Tibetan guru, he said.
          Last edited by Juniper; 05 Jun 2015, 21:47. Reason: quote removed
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
          X