Proper Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper Research

When we watch the news or read an article, they are trying to bring us up to date on current events often in a matter of minutes or at most a couple pages. This often means that events are being severely oversimplified and understated thanks to limited time/space. When you add in the fact that many news sources have at least some level of bias, the facts that they omit may be even more important than what they state in an article. But when we want to have a serious discussion on these topics, it's very important that we not overlook the details that may have been very important but overlooked or not stated.

So, how do you do proper research?

On the web: One of the best ways to know that the website you are visiting is a good one is by the top level domain name (the .com, .org, .edu, etc.) Generally a .com website is not going to be very reliable. In college, we weren't allowed to use .com websites at all in research. Period. .edu websites are often very reliable, and .gov tends to be reliable as well. .org can be a little problematic. All .org means is that the site is run by an organization, often a non-profit, sometimes a business. Non-profits are quite often biased so the information on them can be as well.

Books: People don't know how to find books anymore. Look for non-fiction. Go talk to your librarian. If a book you're interested in isn't available at your library, a lot of libraries participate in inter-library loans now days so they can find and obtain a book for you even if they don't have a copy. Books are still an amazing source of information. And 200-300 pages is a heck of a lot more than two paragraphs. If you can't read a few books to become more aware of the facts and complexities of an issue, you probably shouldn't be discussing it in any serious context.

Primary sources: This is the hardest. Primary sources are sources that are directly involved in the information you are trying to obtain. Original texts if you're researching scripture. Native people if you are talking about a specific culture. Soldiers, weapons, visiting the area if you are talking about war. Etc. The average person doesn't have access to primary sources, but they are the absolute best source of information. Being there, having experience, seeing real artifacts. The next closest things are memoirs and autobiographies.

Even these sources can hold basic human bias. The moment you receive information you perceive it through the context of your experiences. Being a good researcher means you make an effort to overcome your personal bias to see the truth behind an issue. A complex, confusing, and powerful truth that goes far beyond how any one person, or group of people sees the world.

Proper research, with a concerted effort to overcome bias, is essential to any serious discussion. Without proper research, any conclusion drawn are going to be inaccurate and therefore the whole discussion is deemed somewhat useless.

So, the purpose of this thread. If, in the pursuit of a topic, you want help specifically with finding resources feel free to come here and ask for help. If you've had lots of experience with research (and I know we have at least a few members with a heck of lot more than I have) feel free to share advice.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Proper Research

Awesome list there Shahaku! :3 The points there really good to keep in mind when conducting proper research on just about any topic. Its a shame that so many people rely on biased media articles instead of doing proper research on the topic.

If I may, I would like to add one more to the list. Here is one principle that I have found useful in my studies. I find it particularly useful in researching topics related heavily to politics, economics, or other topics which rely on statistics. :3

Raw Data is Good Data: Finding the raw data on a topic is better than reading an article about it. While doing research find the data that is closest to the raw data, and work with it to draw your own conclusions on the topic you are researching. Government websites often provide a wealth of raw statistical information on a myriad of subjects. Using this information is properly useful for compiling your own studies and reports on various topics, and coming to your own conclusions, but doing so by working with the data takes a good deal of time.
    Last edited by LunarHarvest; 04 Oct 2014, 15:59.

Comment

Concerning bias, I find it's a good idea to keep in mind not just how you personally decode a text based on your own experiences and bias, but also consider the possible bias of the person/writer you're getting your info from. As reliable or correct as a source might be or feel it is still a good idea to keep in mind the context that the writer is coming from - the time, place, social circumstance etc.
      consider for example how an ancient roman would record information about those that his people has encountered during their campaigns. His view will most likely be biased by his own culture and what he has to tell about, say, the galls, might not be what the galls themselves would have chosen to write. (I hope I am making sense.)

Comment

Originally posted by Odahviing View Post
        Concerning bias, I find it's a good idea to keep in mind not just how you personally decode a text based on your own experiences and bias, but also consider the possible bias of the person/writer you're getting your info from. As reliable or correct as a source might be or feel it is still a good idea to keep in mind the context that the writer is coming from - the time, place, social circumstance etc.
        consider for example how an ancient roman would record information about those that his people has encountered during their campaigns. His view will most likely be biased by his own culture and what he has to tell about, say, the galls, might not be what the galls themselves would have chosen to write. (I hope I am making sense.)
        I have read many non fiction books that differ based purely off the authors understanding of the facts. Read the authors sources where are they getting their information from. Research the author some authors write biased non fiction as well.

Comment

There is information, misinformation, disinformation and propaganda. Once these are understood, look out for the weasel words that betray the true intention of the author.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
            Awesome list there Shahaku! :3 The points there really good to keep in mind when conducting proper research on just about any topic. Its a shame that so many people rely on biased media articles instead of doing proper research on the topic.

If I may, I would like to add one more to the list. Here is one principle that I have found useful in my studies. I find it particularly useful in researching topics related heavily to politics, economics, or other topics which rely on statistics. :3

Raw Data is Good Data: Finding the raw data on a topic is better than reading an article about it. While doing research find the data that is closest to the raw data, and work with it to draw your own conclusions on the topic you are researching. Government websites often provide a wealth of raw statistical information on a myriad of subjects. Using this information is properly useful for compiling your own studies and reports on various topics, and coming to your own conclusions, but doing so by working with the data takes a good deal of time.

Stats can't explain everything, though. I think a good balance of quantitate and qualitative sources is really important. I think data is highly overrated. It's not that it isn't useful; it's just that it's not all that useful on its own. Stats can't explain culture, psychology, history, or anything like that. Often, they can't explain economic behaviour either, because it's rarely as rational as theorists would like to think.

Comment

One thing I've learned is to follow the money. Who is the audience - the independent reader, or the advertisers' 'target markets'? Who are the major stakeholders? Who is funding the research? Who is performing the research? Is the source in competition with someone?

Dr. Oz is a great example. When asked to speak to the Senate about weight loss scams (mainly to serve as an example of 'what not to do'), he was asked about the green coffee beans he had been promoting. He mentioned that the green coffee beans had been through 'several large clinical trials'. The Senator interviewing him mentioned that there was only one clinical trial regarding the coffee, and it was paid for by the company promoting the product. People lie, statistics can be skewed, but the money is usually the most reliable reporter out there.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I wish people still knew how to use libraries and books. I actually had a dream about this last night. I dared someone thag I could find the correct information required by scanning for books in the library faster than they could google search it.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Thanks for all the contributions. When it comes to raw data (my phone just that to tease Texas. ..) I'm pretty sure that's considered a primary source. Money it's probably the biggest indicator of bias. But all research has to be funded so its a difficult problem to solve.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Raw data is one kind of primary source, but interviews, diaries (in some contexts), observation notes (think: I am watching the gorillas do whatever gorillas do. Something interesting is happening, blah blah blah), videos, recordings, and pictures can also be primary sources. Just because there are no numbers doesn't mean it's not a primary source.

Comment

I tend to think people confuse official primary source documents and unofficial source documents as well. It's like take genealogy for instance, a court marriage register is an official source document yet a church ledger might pass as an unofficial source document as the criteria and purposes are vastly different. Both are source documents in their own right but one is considered a better source document legally.

I tend to think there is also a bias in pushing source documents in that an article, document, report is written both towards a certain peer grouping but also relies heavily upon a certain understanding of terminology, definition, word usage and background which in layman's terms unless your in that field your typically not going to have it. They also tend to rely heavily upon a presumption of a certain knowledge level and experience that allows them to ref concepts, ideas, etc without going into detail as they are prerequisite material and as such do not have to have citations, references or footnotes directing where said information was obtained from.

Source material also tends to overlook credentials. A lot of pagan authors for instance are cited as holding some degree to give them credibility yet truly hold none that pertains to the material they are writing about. Sort of the situation where the person holds a degree in literature but is writing a book about archaeology and geology of a given area. Yet the book is recommended as a scholary work due to the literature degree. Then endorsed by some university because the person is adjunct faculty or assigned to some other department but it increases their worth as a published professor to the university / college.
                      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Published != Accurate

There are published authors with some entertaining ideas of history. Publishers do not obligate their authors and are not themselves obligated to fact check.

*waves at Llewelyn*
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Another problem (one that I see in the science field, particularlly) is not just knowing how to do research, but knowing how to read something like a scientific article.

Two good pieces of info:

Update (1/3/18) I’ve been overwhelmed with requests for the shorter guide, and the email address below no longer works. So I’ve uploaded a copy of the guide for anyone to download and s…

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X