Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on Hecate....?

Hi All!
    For the risk of sounding dumb, I decided to post here in the S.A.F.E. Zone.
    First of all, I believe that Hecate is my patron Goddess.....I don't know why, but I have always felt a connection to Her, as well as the Dark Moon. I feel like she calls me, helps me, and protects me every day. However, I don't know a whole lot about Her, and I read/hear a lot of different things about Her...some good, and some "bad".
    So, any accurate information anyone can give me about Her would be greatly welcomed and appreciated!!

Re: Info on Hecate....?

Hecate was the ancient Greek goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts and necromancy. She was the only child of the Titanes Perses and Asteria from whom she received her power over heaven, earth, and sea. She was depicted as a woman holding a pair of torches. Her Roman name was Trivia.

I generally hear good things about theoi.com so I've tossed her description from that site up if you haven't seen it before. They also apparently contain references that may have further useful info. We have a handful of Hellenics active to varying degrees and one of them may chime in with more eventually.

Ermm, fair warning because I don't know what you have and haven't read yet, there are a number of pagan authors whose treatment of the source material could tactfully be called less than perfectly true to source and non-tactfully be called manufacting mythous out of their *** and I don't know how badly Hekate has been treated in this regard because I generally actively avoid that entire pantheon so you may run into some very opinionated views contrasting with what various prominent authors present.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

thank you! i also did some more research, and the Wikipedia page on Hecate is also full of useful information......i appreciate your help!

Comment

Curious but have you actually done any searching on this site for Hekate / Hecate? There's more than a few threads about her here along with reading recommendations. Especially considering most of us who have Hellenic influences use the Hellenic spelling of Hekate vice the Roman spelling of Hecate.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          Curious but have you actually done any searching on this site for Hekate / Hecate? There's more than a few threads about her here along with reading recommendations. Especially considering most of us who have Hellenic influences use the Hellenic spelling of Hekate vice the Roman spelling of Hecate.
          i have not done a whole lot of searching on the site yet, but i am planning on it! i've only been actively using the site for about 2 days, so i am still really new. thanks for your advice though! i think i saw a forum about Hellenic traditions?

Comment

Working...
          X