This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rune of the Month

Here begins our Rune of the Month (or maybe fortnight... we'll see how we go) endeavor.

Each month, I will post up a rune that I have chosen at random from a hat (actually it's a plastic container from my kitchen). I have included in the container all of the Elder Futhark runes and the extra runes from the Anglo Saxon Futhorc... this way we will have runes from all three of the major futhark/orcs and each will have an equal chance of being chosen or putting themselves forward. When each is chosen, I will post it's name and some basic data, including the closest 'equivalent' rune from the Younger Futhark and Anglo Saxon Futhorc. Then everyone can add some information, experience or insight that they have to offer regarding this rune. Each rune will then miraculously have it's name in the Index List linked to the page in this thread where it's discussion begins. If we ask very nicely, someone might even sticky the thread for us.

In the interests of this being a collaborative effort, please DO NOT post entire essays on everything that you know about the rune... lets give everyone a chance to contribute and have their say. Appropriate things to post about include history or archaeological attestations (though personally I'd rather we stuck to personal experiences), alternative names/spellings/pronunciations, modern rune poems, personal insights, meditations, divinations, uses for magick, uses for galdr, uses for bindrunes, correspondences, stadhagaldr stances/runic yoga, pictures, poems, stories and anything else that you feel is relevant to the rune of the month. Ask questions of each other, discuss the finer points of a philosophy, but please remember to be civil and considerate of each others' personal opinions and experiences. There are no wrong answers here and new or modern experiences are encouraged. Also, please remember to include sources where appropriate... plagiarism is not tolerated at PF and is incredibly bad manners.

Onto the runes...

Fehu/Fe/Feoh
    Uruz/Ur/Ur
    Thurisaz/Thurs/Thorn
    Ansuz/As/Os
    Raido/Reidh/Rad
    Kenaz/Kaun/Cen
    Gebo/-/Gyfu
    Wunjo/-/Wynn
    Hagalaz/Hagall/Haegl
    Naudhiz/Naudhr/Nyd
    Isa/Iss/Is
    Jera/Ar/Ger
    Eihwaz/Yr/Eoh
    Pertho/-/Peorth
    Algiz/-/Eohl
    Sowilo/Sol/Sigel
    Tiwaz/Tyr/Tir
    Berkana/Bjarkan/Beorc
    Ehwaz/-/Eh
    Mannaz/Madr/Mann
    Laguz/Logr/Lagu
    Ingwaz/-/Ing
    Othala/-/Ethel
    Dagaz/-/Daeg
    -/-/Ac
    -/-/Aesc
    -/-/Yr
    -/-/Ior
    -/-/Ear
    -/-/Cweorth
    -/-/Calc
    -/-/Stan
    -/-/Gar
    Last edited by Rae'ya; 10 Apr 2017, 00:05.

Re: Rune of the Month

We haz breaks.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Nauðiz

Elder Futhark: Nauðiz, Proto Germanic, meaning 'need' or 'necessity'
      Younger Futhark: Nauðr, Old Norse, meaning 'need'
      Anglo Saxon Futhorc: Nyd, Old English, meaning 'need' or 'necessity'

Phonetic value: 'n'

Pronunciation:
      The Elder Futhark 'Nauðiz' is pronounced along the lines of 'NOW-thizh' with the ending 'z' being an odd little sound halfway between an r and a z, which is rendered differently depending on what your accent is! That part will probably make more sense when we get to Algiz as that is the rune that has the phonetic value of the Proto Germanic 'z' or 'tz' or 'zh' sound, where I'll try to explain it further.

In Old Norse, 'Nauðr' is pronounced 'NOW-thr', with no vowel sound in between the 'th' and the '-r'. In Old English, 'Nyd' is pronounced 'nieud' with the middle being like the German ü sound (round your lips and say ee).

Now you all reply and add your insights...

[Rune images are/will be the Elder Futhark runes, drawn by me on Paint, so forgive the slightly wonky straight lines... it's hard to draw a straight line with a mouse!]

[Pronunciations are what I've put together over the years from a variety of sources. I can maybe dig out a list if I have to, but it involves lots of books and websites, some of which are contradictory. They are based on reconstructed languages that are no longer commonly spoken, NOT on modern German or Scandinavian languages. My advice is that if you want to look at modern languages, Modern Icelandic is the closest to Old Norse, but still has some major differences. Modern Danish, Swedish and Finnish are not accurate representations of Old Norse or Proto Germanic sounds, and while Modern German has some sounds right, it uses different letters and characters to represent them. I've never looked into Old Icelandic, so I don't have those pronunciations for the Younger Futhark runes. American speakers in particular may struggle with my pronunciations as some of the vowel sounds will be quite alien. Having said that, there are a million modern bastardisations of the rune names, so there's nothing wrong with a modern pronunciation it that's what you want to go with.]

Comment

So I wasn't sure this would work till earlier today but...

I know the code to link specifically to each new rune's post instead of simply the page and it seems to work with the first one.
        "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
        ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

To me naudiz is a pretty heavy rune, it lends some extra weight to whatever situation I am in.
          I feel that the undertone of this rune is one of difficulty, of rising need or necessity that might be challenging to overcome. But that is based on my own experiences.

For example, I drew it as a rune of the day during this past week. (I do this and keep the rune with me during the rest of the day. Sometimes it just helps me reflect over the rune and it's meaning but other times it leads to more meaningful insights.)
          Anyway, I drew naudiz as a rune to indicate what the day would be like. And sure enough, the day was full of needs that could not be satisfied. I work as a bartender/waitress so this turned out to be particularly problematic... The power in the bar went out right before opening, the coffee maker broke in the beginning of our lunch rush, the fireplace wouldn't stay lit - nothing would go right for the first eight or so hours of my shift.
          And in the middle of all this, while running around and being completely incapable of fixing EVERYTHING that I need to fix RIGHT NOW (other servers will know that feeling) it struck me - Naudhiz! These troubles today are an aspect of Nauhiz! That try as you might to control your situation, there will still be needs that arise that 1) can't be helped but must be satisifed and 2) rise regardless of how you try to prevent them.

At least that's how I feel about it so far. I'm still kind of new to the runes so I know it's absolutely not a definitive interpretation.
          I hope this wasn't too long a first post, and that it somewhat fits into what Rae'ya had in mind for this thread.

Comment

Part of the problem (for me) with the runes is that the translations of the various poems vary so much. One version of the AS rune verse for Nyd is:

Trouble is oppressive to the heart;
            yet often it proves a source of help and salvation
            to the children of men, to everyone who heeds it betimes.

Now clearly, this translation is horribly dated. But again it shows as Odahviing discusses above, the idea of difficulties that can be overcome. More than that, it suggests that it struggle somehow helps us to grow.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Great input so far

Naudhiz is a tricky one for us to start with! lol

I don't use Naudhiz a lot in magickal works, as I find it a little too serious. To me, Naudhiz is the rune that says 'look at this, this is an important, life changing situation which may have dire consequences'. Therefore, I would only call on it during magick if I had an important, life changing situation with dire consequences. I feel that to call on it too often is frivolous, and so I reserve it as a last resort only. A part of my reticence with using Naudhiz is perhaps the fact that I belong to the Norse goddess who is most frequently associated with it, and who controls the aspects of 'obligation' and 'necessity' within our Wyrd. I have a caution in the back of my mind that says 'remember your priorities... this is about necessity, not desire'. I feel that Naudhiz is not a rune to help with first world problems, but with situations that embody a more serious, dire straits, or otherwise life changing nature. Naudhiz says to me, what MUST you have? What MUST you do? What MUST happen here? As someone who works closely with wyrd, orlog and the Nornir, I feel that it is my responsibility to know the difference between necessity and preference, between must and should, between need and want... and I get the feeling that if I were to apply Naudhiz to a first world problem, I would find myself out in the cold and being taught a lesson about perspective.

Comment

I rarely end up coming across Nauthiz, and for the most part I'm content with that. The rune does have it's own weight, one that I tend to find a little uncomfortable, and for good reason. In my experiences, it only seems to come up when there's something pressing or heavy, and I've come to see it as relating not only to it's direct translation of "need", but to be expanded from there to symbolize debt, and even at times guilt. From there I see it's relationship to Nifelhel and to the wurm Nidhog, that gnawing, dull ache that comes up from the base of us to wreck havoc if we refuse to address it.

In making bindrunes and runecharms, I have used it a little more often than it has appeared in castings, drawing on it mainly for it's energies of restriction and constraint, using it as a fetter or a binding. Though, in some instances, I've used it in conjunction with other runes for protection.

Lastly, I've found it has a close connection to the runes Hagalaz and Isa, not only as being the first three runes of the second aett, but also in that each of the runes corresponds with the Nornr, Nauthiz representing Skuld.
                "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                  Lastly, I've found it has a close connection to the runes Hagalaz and Isa, not only as being the first three runes of the second aett, but also in that each of the runes corresponds with the Nornr, Nauthiz representing Skuld.
                  "Skuld" actually means "debt" or "guilt" (as in being responsible for something negative) in swedish. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Odahviing View Post
                    "Skuld" actually means "debt" or "guilt" (as in being responsible for something negative) in swedish. Just a thought.
                    Mhmm, I was aware of that. So it further ties in the relationship with the rune.
                    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

I'm thinking about Nauthiz I swear

My current thought is that I've read references to Nauthiz and the need-fire. Either the need-fire that one creates with a bow and drill for example (no matches here!) Or the need-fire we kindle within ourselves, eg raising our core body temperature, such as in warming ourselves up to prevent dying in the freezing cold landscapes of our ancestors. The 'need' coming from the need to survive.

Thoughts on this perhaps?

I am intrigued by the bow and drill method. One day I would like to master it (if one can truly master a bow and drill!). Though I wouldn't want to be raising my core body temp here... it's already 35°C, cooling perhaps... wheres Isa? :P
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Look what just popped up!

ForumRunner_20141013_012056.jpg
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                          Look what just popped up!

[ATTACH]3511[/ATTACH]
                          Well then!

Comment

I generally draw at least as much meaning from a rune's shape as from any other thing. So, consider the shape of Nauthiz: a vertical line crossed at an acute angle left to right by a shorter line. What might this shape suggest? Perhaps a person, one hand lifting in victory or maybe defiance, the other hand dropping in defeat or helplessness. Both at once. Makes me think of that symbol with the two masks, one smiling, one crying. That is the feeling of this rune: you can choose to see the hopelessness or the hopefulness in a given situation.

That eight I know which to all men
                            Is needful good to know:
                            When hatred runs high 'mongst heroes or kin,
                            Their strife I can settle full soon.

Havamal 153:1-4

This verse from the runatal section of the Havamal associated by most with Nauthiz seems to indicate that it's a rune that can be used to bring restraint to a situation. One of the traditional magical uses of Nauthiz is to bind or restrain.
                            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Tribe of my Tribe
                            Clan of my Clan
                            Kin of my Kin
                            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Ehwaz

Elder Futhark: Ehwaz, Proto Germanic, meaning 'horse'
                              Younger Futhark: doesn't have a similar rune
                              Anglo Saxon Futhorc: Eh or Eoh, Old English, meaning 'horse' or 'warhorse'

Phonetic value: 'e'

Pronunciation:
                              The pronunciation of this rune is a bit controversial, because of the way that the two 'e' sounds of the Proto Germanic rune names have evolved and the differences in the way we pronounce 'e' compared to ancient languages. My research has pulled up two pronunciations for Ehwaz, but the more accurate sources (linguists and IPA rather than Heathens and rune authors) put it at 'AY-wazh', where the 'ay' part is like when you say 'eh?' when you didn't hear someone properly... it's like 'hey' in 'hey you' but with the 'h' dropped off the front. The 'zh' part is as described for Naudhiz. The IPA is [e], which I think is what confuses modern English speakers.

In Old English, 'Eh' is pronounced pretty much as described above but with what they call an 'unvoiced spirant' at the end, which is like a soft German 'ch'. Eoh is more difficult... the first two letters are the same [e] we've talked about, but sliding into a soft 'o' (this is what they call a dipthong, where two vowel sounds slide into each other), with that unvoiced spirant at the end.

Now you all reply and add your insights...

Comment

Working...
                              X