Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rune of the Month

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Re: Rune of the Month

Apologies for being a bit late this month. Life-stuff has been taking up the bulk of my time and attention at the moment. So back on track...

Mannaz

Elder Futhark: Mannaz, Proto Germanic, meaning 'man' (as in 'human' not man vs woman)
    Younger Futhark: Mağr, Old Norse, meaning 'man' (though it has a different stave shape)
    Anglo Saxon Futhorc: Mann, Old English, meaning 'man'

Phonetic value: 'm'

Pronunciation:
    Mannaz is a nice, easy rune to pronounce. The 'a' sound is the longer 'a' as in 'father', and the ending 'z' is that odd little sound halfway between an r and a z. So we end up with 'MAHN-ahzh'.

Mağr has the longer a, and the ğ character is a hard 'th' and there is no vowel sound in between the 'th' and the '-r'. So we end up with 'MAH-thr'

The Old English is even easier, but remember that the 'a' is like in 'father' not our modern pronunciation of 'man', and double consonants are always pronounced... so 'Mahn-n'

Now you all reply and add your insights...[/QUOTE]

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

I think it's really important on this rune to remember that 'man' has many different meanings. In the AS rune poem, we have a variety of words - all often translated as 'man' which are quite different and so it's very important to understand this. For example in the first fune verse, Feoh, the word 'fira' is used for man, and this reappears in the Aesc verse too (unique to the Anglo-Saxon one). However fira is not really the same as man. There is a man, mankind, human-type beings (yes, honestly!) and these are all slightly different.
    So I will kick off with this - what sort of 'man' are we talking about in this verse?
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Jun 2013
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    I think it's really important on this rune to remember that 'man' has many different meanings. In the AS rune poem, we have a variety of words - all often translated as 'man' which are quite different and so it's very important to understand this. For example in the first fune verse, Feoh, the word 'fira' is used for man, and this reappears in the Aesc verse too (unique to the Anglo-Saxon one). However fira is not really the same as man. There is a man, mankind, human-type beings (yes, honestly!) and these are all slightly different.
    So I will kick off with this - what sort of 'man' are we talking about in this verse?
    I think this is a really good point and a great starting point for Mannaz.

Personally I take the Proto-Germanic definition of 'human' when talking about Mannaz. This is also one of the meanings of the Old English 'mann'... it often meant man in the sense of a 'human' irrespective of gender (just as we use the term today to refer to either a man or to a member of mankind). In Old English, the gender specific terms for 'man' and 'woman' were generally 'wer' and 'wif' respectively, and in Old Norse they were 'ver' and 'vif' respectively. I think that if Mannaz were meant to indicate a human male person, one of these terms would have been a more likely name for it. I think the fact that it is named Mannaz/Madhr/Mann, which in all three languages PLUS modern English can mean a male person or a person in general, is significant.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Phrase

In the AS stanza at any rate, the verse looks forward to the final one, Ear, the grave. So I feel here that we're being called upon to think about our mortality, that we are human beings, yes, and also individuals.

Sep 2014
    Religion
    Northern one-thing-or-the-other.

To me Mannaz is a reminder of all the different aspects of the human condition/experience as well as our relationships to ourselves and others. But I'm running a fever so my mind is a little muddled... I'll have to get back to this later when my head is screwed on right.

Feb 2015
    Religion
    Northern Traditional Shamanism
    Phrase
    Purge Negativity with Control

I feel Mannaz is all self enriched. Every time I pull it, I know that whatever there is to fix, or whatever is at question can always be brought back into my own being, and that I have to work from the inside out to achieve a type of ending. On many Runes, you need a type of action or proposal from yourself to face with the gods, only tracing around with action to entice. I sense Mannaz is more so structured around my own body and being to become what I can make of it.
    One of my favorite runes.

Jun 2013
    Religion

To me Mannaz is about humanity and social relationships. Not partnerships and co-operative ventures (which I think is Ehwaz's domain) but social groups, group dynamics and cohabitation. It's one of those runes that has a lot of nuance, depending on the runes that surround it in a reading... they ALL have nuance and layered meaning, but Mannaz I think is particularly susceptible to the dynamics of the other runes. I use it in bindrunes to help in situations that require interacting with other people.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Phrase

I think also there is a degree of enlightenment to be considered with this rune. It can help to compare the language with the original texts - often translators take a few liberties!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Phrase

There is also a theory that certain of the runes (in the AS version at any rate) refer covertly to certain deities. Mannus in this case. But that's just a theory - still, it's worth thinking about.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Phrase

Back in post No, 68 on this thread, I mentioned the problem with translations. Nowadays I prefer to do my own for the Anglo-Saxon runes. However I have also over the years collected most of the major translations, and one thing that never fails to amaze me is the differences: the same rune verse, all these scholars and all these translations.
    But I am talking here purely from the AS rune poem point of view. My question is - for those using other rune poems, do you have the same problem? Do you work with the original language, personal gnosis or do you have a favourite translation you use?