• Show
Clear All

Re: Rune of the Month

The OE or AS rune poems gives:
    Ride is for rulers • aristocrats’ joy;
    horse standing proud • while him spearmen surround,
    moneyed ones mounted • commune by speaking;
    for the uneasy • always comfort.

I should point out here that the Bosworth-Toller and Hall dictionaries give 'eh' as a war horse or charger, not just any old nag. As with all the Anglo-Saxon verses, there is a sense of empirical mystery in the lines, and this was intended originally to shift the listener's attention away from the mundane meanings towards more mysterious ones. It's a rune that offers a great deal when we start to explore it.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

My poem (from Stephen Grundys 'rhinegold) goes thus:

Ehwaz, horse, the highborns joy,
      Heroes speak from the warsteeds back,
      Sleipnir is fleetest of beasts.

Correspondences I have listed include: momentum, horse, speed, motion, progress, a controlled charge, journey, loyalty, faithfulness.

I've seen it used in bindrunes for movement and change.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        Correspondences I have listed include: momentum, horse, speed, motion, progress, a controlled charge, journey, loyalty, faithfulness.
        Other than what was mentioned before I also like to think of it as a rune for a bond/partnership, especially when working together towards a (common) goal.
        These bonds I personally believe can be found in any kind of relationship where there is loyalty - human/animal, human/god, human/human, human/you-name-it, animal/animal etc.

Comment

I've always found that this is a good rune for movement, like Raido, and when combined with such makes great bindrunes for travelling. Going along with the concept of the horse, we have a level of control added in there, as well. Thoughts of a horse lead to Sleipnir, which leads to how he came to be, which in turn leads to Loki, and lastly can be seen as a rune of transformation at times.

I've started using multiple Ehwaz runes (eight, actually, for the legs of Sleipnir), overlapping to form a ring, around staves that I've made to help send the energy to it's destination.
          "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

link added to index, what's the distinction between Ehwaz and Eihwaz because this almost got linked to the latter based on Eoh.
            "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
            ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post

I've started using multiple Ehwaz runes (eight, actually, for the legs of Sleipnir), overlapping to form a ring, around staves that I've made to help send the energy to it's destination.
              I like this idea!
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                link added to index, what's the distinction between Ehwaz and Eihwaz because this almost got linked to the latter based on Eoh.
                We can blame Old English and my laziness in not added accents to the index for that one. Sorry, MO. The Old English rune cognate with Ehwaz is Eoh (which has been shorted to Eh by many to avoid confusion). The one cognate with Eihwaz is Éoh (which means yew).

Comment

Long as they are distinct runes and I've got the right one linked, it isn't really a worry. Just caught my attention when I went to edit the index.
                  "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                  ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I have to go in a different direction to the norm here and agree with Odaviing in that for me, Ehwaz is primarily about the relationship between two beings or things. For me, it's about the horse as a form of partnership, a partnership which complements and extends your own abilities, and which allows you to achieve things that you wouldn't be able to achieve alone. The travel and motion aspect is definitely secondary for me, and is represented more fully by Raido, to the point that I don't use Ehwaz for that end pretty much at all. Ehwaz is the horse, Raido is the act of riding or driving it. They complement each other, but the primary focus for me is different.

I use Ehwaz where I want to strengthen the idea of partnership, working together and symbiosis. To me it's about loyalty, working together, complementing one another, extending the abilities of either partner, moving in tandem, harnessing two things together (not quite a binding, but a bringing together out of desire to be more efficient), and that sort of trust between two beings that is achieved when you work seamlessly as one.

Ehwaz features in a bindrune (along with Raido and Algiz) for my car, in that my car is my 'horse' (and has a spirit of it's own). I'm also tossing up the idea of it being part of a bindrune or bindrunes for my journey drum, as a representation of the partnership between myself and the drum spirit, who helps carry me into the Otherworlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                      I have to go in a different direction to the norm here and agree with Odaviing in that for me, Ehwaz is primarily about the relationship between two beings or things. For me, it's about the horse as a form of partnership, a partnership which complements and extends your own abilities, and which allows you to achieve things that you wouldn't be able to achieve alone. The travel and motion aspect is definitely secondary for me, and is represented more fully by Raido, to the point that I don't use Ehwaz for that end pretty much at all. Ehwaz is the horse, Raido is the act of riding or driving it. They complement each other, but the primary focus for me is different.

I use Ehwaz where I want to strengthen the idea of partnership, working together and symbiosis. To me it's about loyalty, working together, complementing one another, extending the abilities of either partner, moving in tandem, harnessing two things together (not quite a binding, but a bringing together out of desire to be more efficient), and that sort of trust between two beings that is achieved when you work seamlessly as one.
                      Exactly! (I wish I were this good at putting my thoughts into words haha...)

Comment

I also see it in part as a symbol of partnership/working relationship, but more than that to me this rune means prestige and doing well socially. While social prestige can be in part connected to wealth, physical wealth is to me more closely connected with Fehur
                        Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

(Okay, first of all, I figured out the multi-quote thing. Yaaay!)

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                          I also see it in part as a symbol of partnership/working relationship, but more than that to me this rune means prestige and doing well socially. While social prestige can be in part connected to wealth, physical wealth is to me more closely connected with Fehur
                          I see what you mean Moonraven. I kindof see Ehwaz as a relationship rune, but I've always mostly thought of it as in relationships to/with non-humans.
                          Although I'll have to agree with the horse rune as a symbol for social wealth - especially when reading the rune poems. They imply not just physical wealth but also social status (which might not *always* be connected but, of course, often are).

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                          My poem (from Stephen Grundys 'rhinegold) goes thus:

Ehwaz, horse, the highborns joy,
                          Heroes speak from the warsteeds back,
                          Sleipnir is fleetest of beasts.
                          Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                          The OE or AS rune poems gives:
                          Ride is for rulers • aristocrats’ joy;
                          horse standing proud • while him spearmen surround,
                          moneyed ones mounted • commune by speaking;
                          for the uneasy • always comfort.

I should point out here that the Bosworth-Toller and Hall dictionaries give 'eh' as a war horse or charger, not just any old nag. As with all the Anglo-Saxon verses, there is a sense of empirical mystery in the lines, and this was intended originally to shift the listener's attention away from the mundane meanings towards more mysterious ones. It's a rune that offers a great deal when we start to explore it.
                          Both of these poems speak of rulers, heroes and leaders of war. All with great social status.

Comment

I think it's really important where we can to see not only what is included but also why, where and even where else it can be found. Is the OE rune poem really about the horse? Or is it about status? Or something else? And are we reading in the right order? I meant, in the example I gave for the poem, what if we read it in columns rather than in lines? This would be quite in keeping with the riddling nature of the OE rune poem. It's worth looking for more information on the other poems too. On how and when they were first written and published... and of course on the various editions we are using.

I think there is a tendency nowadays to look down on the OE Rune poem as being somehow newer (it isn't - in fact there's a very good argument that could well make it the oldest of the four rune poems.) While it's very important to work with our own personal response to the runs (whichever system we are using) I feel it's also very important to work within the rune poems (and of course within the other sources for the runes too) and see where they take us.

Just my two penn'orth!

Comment

Problem is that there are no other rune poems for Ehwaz than that of the Anglo Saxon Futhark as far as I know - it was eliminated from the Younger Futhark - so we can go nowhere else to look for information. The original wording of the poem is as follows:
                              Eh byþ for eorlum æþelinga wyn,
                              hors hofum wlanc, ðær him hæleþ ymb[e]

welege on wicgum wrixlaþ spræce

and biþ unstyllum æfre frofur.

Since I don't speak Anglo-Saxon I shall refrain from trying to make my own translation. But anyone else wants a go, go right ahead.
                              Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I'll try and help out there in the next day or so!

Comment

Working...
                                X