Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rune of the Month

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things
    I'm thinking about Nauthiz I swear

My current thought is that I've read references to Nauthiz and the need-fire. Either the need-fire that one creates with a bow and drill for example (no matches here!) Or the need-fire we kindle within ourselves, eg raising our core body temperature, such as in warming ourselves up to prevent dying in the freezing cold landscapes of our ancestors. The 'need' coming from the need to survive.

Thoughts on this perhaps?

I am intrigued by the bow and drill method. One day I would like to master it (if one can truly master a bow and drill!). Though I wouldn't want to be raising my core body temp here... it's already 35°C, cooling perhaps... wheres Isa? :P
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    Look what just popped up!

ForumRunner_20141013_012056.jpg

RIP

You cut your hair short
    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

Re: Rune of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    Look what just popped up!

ForumRunner_20141013_012056.jpg
    Well then!

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

I generally draw at least as much meaning from a rune's shape as from any other thing. So, consider the shape of Nauthiz: a vertical line crossed at an acute angle left to right by a shorter line. What might this shape suggest? Perhaps a person, one hand lifting in victory or maybe defiance, the other hand dropping in defeat or helplessness. Both at once. Makes me think of that symbol with the two masks, one smiling, one crying. That is the feeling of this rune: you can choose to see the hopelessness or the hopefulness in a given situation.

That eight I know which to all men
    Is needful good to know:
    When hatred runs high 'mongst heroes or kin,
    Their strife I can settle full soon.

Havamal 153:1-4

This verse from the runatal section of the Havamal associated by most with Nauthiz seems to indicate that it's a rune that can be used to bring restraint to a situation. One of the traditional magical uses of Nauthiz is to bind or restrain.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Ehwaz

Elder Futhark: Ehwaz, Proto Germanic, meaning 'horse'
    Younger Futhark: doesn't have a similar rune
    Anglo Saxon Futhorc: Eh or Eoh, Old English, meaning 'horse' or 'warhorse'

Phonetic value: 'e'

Pronunciation:
    The pronunciation of this rune is a bit controversial, because of the way that the two 'e' sounds of the Proto Germanic rune names have evolved and the differences in the way we pronounce 'e' compared to ancient languages. My research has pulled up two pronunciations for Ehwaz, but the more accurate sources (linguists and IPA rather than Heathens and rune authors) put it at 'AY-wazh', where the 'ay' part is like when you say 'eh?' when you didn't hear someone properly... it's like 'hey' in 'hey you' but with the 'h' dropped off the front. The 'zh' part is as described for Naudhiz. The IPA is [e], which I think is what confuses modern English speakers.

In Old English, 'Eh' is pronounced pretty much as described above but with what they call an 'unvoiced spirant' at the end, which is like a soft German 'ch'. Eoh is more difficult... the first two letters are the same [e] we've talked about, but sliding into a soft 'o' (this is what they call a dipthong, where two vowel sounds slide into each other), with that unvoiced spirant at the end.

Now you all reply and add your insights...

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

The OE or AS rune poems gives:
    Ride is for rulers • aristocrats’ joy;
    horse standing proud • while him spearmen surround,
    moneyed ones mounted • commune by speaking;
    for the uneasy • always comfort.

I should point out here that the Bosworth-Toller and Hall dictionaries give 'eh' as a war horse or charger, not just any old nag. As with all the Anglo-Saxon verses, there is a sense of empirical mystery in the lines, and this was intended originally to shift the listener's attention away from the mundane meanings towards more mysterious ones. It's a rune that offers a great deal when we start to explore it.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    My poem (from Stephen Grundys 'rhinegold) goes thus:

Ehwaz, horse, the highborns joy,
    Heroes speak from the warsteeds back,
    Sleipnir is fleetest of beasts.

Correspondences I have listed include: momentum, horse, speed, motion, progress, a controlled charge, journey, loyalty, faithfulness.

I've seen it used in bindrunes for movement and change.

RIP

You cut your hair short
    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Sep 2014
    Religion
    Northern one-thing-or-the-other.

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    Correspondences I have listed include: momentum, horse, speed, motion, progress, a controlled charge, journey, loyalty, faithfulness.
    Other than what was mentioned before I also like to think of it as a rune for a bond/partnership, especially when working together towards a (common) goal.
    These bonds I personally believe can be found in any kind of relationship where there is loyalty - human/animal, human/god, human/human, human/you-name-it, animal/animal etc.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

I've always found that this is a good rune for movement, like Raido, and when combined with such makes great bindrunes for travelling. Going along with the concept of the horse, we have a level of control added in there, as well. Thoughts of a horse lead to Sleipnir, which leads to how he came to be, which in turn leads to Loki, and lastly can be seen as a rune of transformation at times.

I've started using multiple Ehwaz runes (eight, actually, for the legs of Sleipnir), overlapping to form a ring, around staves that I've made to help send the energy to it's destination.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

link added to index, what's the distinction between Ehwaz and Eihwaz because this almost got linked to the latter based on Eoh.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis