Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is holy to you?

Hi all!

I was just thinking, what feels holy (or particularly special, if you don't feel the term "holy" is appropriate) to you?
    And by holy I mean the things that evoke that feeling of awe in you.

For myself, as an example, I often get a dash of that feeling when the moon is out or the night is particularly starry. Now, I'm not a moon worshipper - I've never made an active decision to be that - but being under and gazing up at a clear night sky gives me a sense of holiness. Often that is when I feel "close to god" (for lack of a better term).

Also I'll get that sometimes when there is a moment of complete symbiosis between myself and an animal. Usually of course these are my cats (as I seldom get that close to animals that aren't someone's pet) but occasionally I'll get it from the deer that frequent our property. Like a moment of understanding, when you acknowledge each other and are totally okay with the other being nearby. That gives me a feeling of holiness.

Perhaps there are others here that would like to share examples of what inspires religious awe? Since there are so many of us here on such different paths it would be interesting to see how our ideas of what is "holy" differ from each other. I'm sure there are many of us here who can agree on some things but never even have thought of other things as holy before.

Re: What is holy to you?

I consider cats holy (that explains a lot). Plus, I avoid eating different kinds of meat out of respect to the Kemetic gods. Such as cow, lamb, frog and snake. I consider almost everything holy, because gods manifest in out lives in many ways. For instance, the moon- Khonsu, sky - Nut and Nephtys, earth - Geb, sun - Ra, rivers - Hapi, wind - Shu.
    The same with animals, too.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

what is holy?

nothing...

....and everything
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Cats and wolves , I guess I could say my pentacle is holy
        Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Good food, good drink, my family, myself, what I do & what I say, what others have done for me and with me and taught me, and some other stuff.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well,if ya gonna go holy,ya gotta include "Holy Sh*t"...But that's a story for another time...

If people keep saying it,it must be true....
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

My sleep. My sanity. My purse. Cheese. socks.

on a serious note:
              Place of worship of others I consider holy out of respect. And that the people in there are being sincere in their beliefs no matter how much I think it's a crock of shit. I won't be a douche about it. I usually find those places to be a nice place to be calm and relax. I don't think places of the dead are holy. Only pretend to because those who are visiting are alive. And hence..don't want to be a douche. Also entering someone's home. That's their world. I'm just a visitor.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I second the cheese...

And Duce's point about other places of worship etc. I'll add other forms of worship/practises to that.

My husband was asked to be godfather to the daughter of a friend who lived with us for a while. We know them very well. He bought me a bible for christmas once as a joke. But the missus actually came to me and said she was glad I came, and that I didn't have to if I didnt want to, considering, ya know, my beliefs...

I was a bit dumbfounded. Here she is, doing what she feels is right for her and her child, and expecting me not to participate?! In my step-goddaughters christening? (So maybe I adopted her). Not only do I generally think of a godparent as a good idea (plus, this one I get to influence... muhaha) but does she really think I don't consider a christening a holy thing?! Regardless of whether I do or not, I thought she knew I have slightly more tact than that...

Also holy to me is my amulet. Or crane bag. I don't know what to call it. I read that its a bag work around the neck that contains items of spiritual import to the owner. Crane bag is a native american term I think, so I'm not to comfortable with it. Amulet comes out of fiction (earth childrens series) so more comfortable. I don't use it for much ever, or even think about it. But when this discussion about holy came up my mind went to it... so yeah...
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I love the Einstein quote about seeing everything or nothing as a miracle. I see everything as a miracle. I can think of nothing that cannot evoke some degree of religious awe if I open myself to its entirety (including sh**, anunitu). Even so, sometimes I have to look for it and sometimes it seizes me by the throat whether I am into it or not. Have to say that I feel the most connected in a forest, and with a cool mist about --- there are no words.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Liminal places and times - the shore, where the mountain meets the sky, doorways and windowsills, sunset, sunrise. Ravens, wind in the trees, the way the sunlight slants across the floor during this time of year. Sunmotes. This lemon-ginger tea and my sugar-skull printed mug. Seeds and roots and leaves and cactus skeletons. Persimmons and pomegranates, dates and datura. Words and deeds of sincerity, even if I don't like or agree with them.

Me. I'm holy. My dog is holy, and so is my husband & the snakes, and Bob, the coyote skull on a staff. Everything that is, was and will ever be. Holy, all of it.

You're all holy, too. Even Anunitu
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Who Me???,you take that back..I resemble that remark....!!
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
                        and Bob, the coyote skull on a staff.
                        Lol, you named the skull Bob. Giggle.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                          Lol, you named the skull Bob. Giggle.
                          Nope, he told me that was his name. His full name is 'Cowboy Bob of the Flea-Bitten Ghost Brigade' but it's Bob for short.

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post

Nope, he told me that was his name. His full name is 'Cowboy Bob of the Flea-Bitten Ghost Brigade' but it's Bob for short.
                            Whats the Flea-Bitten Ghost Brigade? Doesn't sound comfortable.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                              Whats the Flea-Bitten Ghost Brigade? Doesn't sound comfortable.
                              Bob says it's a gang of OCs (Original Coyotes). XD

Comment

Working...
                              X