Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is witchcraft? Who can practise it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is witchcraft? Who can practise it?

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
    So what is the difference between this and positive thinking?
    jazz hands
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      jazz hands
      *bursts out laughing*

Comment

jazz hands
        And the oft held faith (whether it be belief, suspended disbelief or just plain hope) that one is working with something outside themselves...cosmic energy, Nature's energies, the elements, spirits, the gods, etc. (assuming jazz hands is being held as the stand in wand waling, et al. )

Re the OP, witchcraft is a craft--a set of stand alone magical practices (what Torey said here) that may or may not be used in conjunction with a particular religious paradigm world view (but is not dependent upon it).

And while there are different witchcraft traditions which may require secific methodologies, mostly witchcraft is accessible to anyone. But...like most practices, it involves practice to be any good at it, and even then, some people never get the knack.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
          I have nothing of significance to add that hasn't already been touched upon here by the others. But as I see it, "witchcraft" is a collection of practices used for manipulating both the Inner and the Outer, the Seen and the Unseen worlds surrounding us.
          I think there's the answer to my question. The 'Unseen' aspect. Is the Unseen world considered material? I'm trying to reconcile 'material' with magic. I'm having trouble.

Comment

I think there's the answer to my question. The 'Unseen' aspect. Is the Unseen world considered material?
            I think that would depend on the practitioner first, and the tradition second....only because one can oft work within a tradition's methodology while holding different beliefs about mechanism.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

jazz hands
              ^agree

Though spirit fingers help of course...
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Witchcraft can be called 'magic' by some. But then you get this sort of crack hattery: You made this fever go away with this tea. You are a witch, so sayeth the Catholic church. Witchcraft is really a tool to opress someone who knows something more then you and you are scared shiteless so you call them a witch and be done with them. Something like that.
                Sad fact is that's a very true statement in many areas, even parts of the US. The medical field and governmental backing of it really socked it to the root workers and such who used to do a lot of the medical stuff, especially in remote areas.

- - - Updated - - -

So what is the difference between this and positive thinking?
                Thalassa answered this above but I think the major difference between witchcraft and positive thinking is the intent and dedication / focus applied or believed by the practitioner. Many practitioners focus their intent and desire upon a singular thing at the expense of everything else. That intent manifested via mental, psychological, physical and other focus to obtain that item. Where the positive thinker many times and even the so so practitioner sort of go with it will come because I want it but do nothing much beyond that to obtain it.

There was a movie a few years ago called THE SECRET that was all about the positive thinking aspect of calling things into your life. What many called the wishful thinking method where you believed it would manifest and thus it did. For far to many it appeared to only manifest a lot of money into the hands of the producers of said video and the fad relatively faded pretty quick afterwards. But the premise was desire it, only think positive and good thoughts and you'd get it. Never did meet anyone who actually said it worked for them.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

So, as a person with very little knowledge of witchcraft and magic, I would like to ask a few questions on the topic.

So I hear the word 'manipulation' used in conversations which involve witchcraft quite often, and I am wondering as to the extent of this manipulation? What can and cannot be manipulated, and is manipulation more of a controlling action or an influencing action?

Is this quote an accurate explanation of witchcraft?
                  The point [of magic in Witchcraft] is to make the "bendable" world bend to your will ... Unless you possess a rock-firm faith in your own powers and in the operability of your spell, you will not achieve the burning intensity of will and imagination which is requisite to make the magic work.
                  -Paul Huson (1970)
                  Thanks for any responses ahead of time, and I do hope I'm not causing too much of a bother with my intrusion. :3

Comment

Intrude away! Threads exist for everyone, otherwise I'd just pm people.

Too bad you can't quote quotes but.. "Unless you possess a rock-firm faith in your own powers and in the operability of your spell, you will not achieve the burning intensity of will and imagination which is requisite to make the magic work."

How do you build faith and imagination enough to make the magic work? Is it a case of it either works or it doesn't... or maybe it works a little bit so you know your will and imagination is getting stronger with each try?

I feel like surely other people have asked these questions before. Sorry if this has all been addressed previously.

Comment

How do you build faith and imagination enough to make the magic work? Is it a case of it either works or it doesn't... or maybe it works a little bit so you know your will and imagination is getting stronger with each try?
                      How do you build faith.... when you find an answer to this, let me know!!! I think its a case sometimes of you have it, or you don't, but you can't just get it. *sigh*
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

jazz hands
                        Medusa, I love you.

Mostly art.

Comment

So could manipulation be described, in brief, by saying that it is 'the forcing of one's will or desires upon the world', or am I missing something completely about the nature or extent of manipulation in witchcraft?

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
                            So could manipulation be described, in brief, by saying that it is 'the forcing of one's will or desires upon the world', or am I missing something completely about the nature or extent of manipulation in witchcraft?
                            I think for some that would be accurate and for others not so much. There is such a variety of belief from what I have seen.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
                              I would say no...but perhaps because that isn't my goal.

Energy manipulation is about movement...its a coaxing, not a forcing. Witchcraft, at least as I practice it, is about shifting one's self into...alignment, I suppose one could say, with what is around us--working with the natural world by embellishing a bit here, shifting a bit there. Its a matter of recognizing that we are enmeshed into the web of *everything*, and learning which strings we are most connected to and can use to enhance our existence.

Intrude away! Threads exist for everyone, otherwise I'd just pm people.

Too bad you can't quote quotes but.. "Unless you possess a rock-firm faith in your own powers and in the operability of your spell, you will not achieve the burning intensity of will and imagination which is requisite to make the magic work."

I disagree that you need the faith for magic to work.

What you need is suspension of disbelief--openness to possibilities... If you do need faith, it needs to be in your worth and worthiness of the goal you are seeking, and a willingness to sacrifice for it...and not in your inherent juju.

“Real magic can never be made by offering someone else's liver. You must tear out your own, and not expect to get it back.”
                              ― Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                I disagree that you need the faith for magic to work.

What you need is suspension of disbelief--openness to possibilities... If you do need faith, it needs to be in your worth and worthiness of the goal you are seeking, and a willingness to sacrifice for it...and not in your inherent juju.
                                I love that.

Comment

Working...
                                X