Columbus Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Columbus Day

I think it is around these days, that Columbus Day is celebrated in the USA.

I wonder what the Indians - the native Americans - think about it.

And what do YOU think about it?

Re: Columbus Day

Here in Germany it is already Monday morning - half past seven in the morning.

In the USA the Columbus Day ist still fresh and young - if it is today.

Is it?

Comment

I heard some Americans I know mention Columbus day, but I don't properly recall the date exactly.
      *To the internet!*
      Ah, yes I do believe that it is on the 13 October this year. It is also Thanksgiving in Canada, but I digress. :3

Comment

Columbus Day in the US is Oct. 12th; the legislated day of observance (banks and government offices closed, no mail delivery) is the second Monday of October. In my immediate family, Oct. 12th is my daughter, Rikki's, birthday, and the second Monday of October is Rikki's Birthday Observed. I otherwise don't think about it, other than I don't have to go to my mailbox.

Edited to add: What might Medusa say?

"BTW, what day does Germany observe Holocaust Day? What do German Jews think of it?"
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
          "BTW, what day does Germany observe Holocaust Day? What do German Jews think of it?"
          ?????????????????

Comment

Happy Birthday Hugh Jackman!!!!:^^:
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Had no idea this Jackman even existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Larix View Post
                ?????????????????
                Rick's statement was basically the same as asking Native Americans what they thought of Columbus Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                  Rick's statement was basically the same as asking Native Americans what they thought of Columbus Day.
                  A very strange comparison.

Germany does not celebrate a Holocaust Day in the way the USA celebrate Columbus Day.

Hence my question marks.

Comment

Possibly because Holocaust Day would celebrate a time when a country was nearly destroyed, and Columbus Day celebrates a day when a country was begun?

Do people in Europe celebrate Destroy the Celtic Civilization Day?

If we're gonna get all self righteous and snotty, we may as well go all the way...
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My personal "Race" is so mixed...How mixed is it?.....If I walked into a bar,there would be a classic joke in there somewhere
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

"Here in Germany it is already Monday morning - half past seven in the morning.

In the USA the Columbus Day ist still fresh and young - if it is today.

Is it?"

Then why even bring it up, unless you're after something else like perhaps having an indigenous person reply so he or she can be trounced or totally ignored by some of you Euro-Pagans?

Comment

Oh goody. Here we go again...

All things are full of weariness;
                          a man cannot utter it;
                          the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
                          nor the ear filled with hearing.

What has been is what will be,
                          and what has been done is what will be done,
                          and there is nothing new under the sun.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

(irrelevant and unproductive text removed)

We traditional people do not celebrate Columbus Day or Thanksgiving for obvious reasons.

We don't celebrate any of the Christian holidays either.
                            Last edited by Juniper; 14 Oct 2014, 10:36. Reason: irrelevancy removed

Comment

I've never celebrated Columbus Day. As to what I think of it: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day sums it up fairly well. Along with the fact that while I neither think we should celebrate it, neither do I think we should go out of our way to single out for vilification something that nearly every civilization has done as if it were a lone act.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X