Is your house haunted? How to tell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your house haunted? How to tell.

Since people periodically ask about ghosts and hauntings, or suspect that they are haunted, I thought this would be of some use.

Not sure how seriously to take this, but, maybe, we could add to it...

Haunted House Myths Confirmed And Debunked

For instance, if you look in the mirror and see a bloody face when you haven't cut yourself shaving, your house is most likely haunted.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Is your house haunted? How to tell.

When you see the smokey image of half a person i'd say its a good sign the place is haunted. Our old house had that happen on the front porch. Used to hear him walk up and across the outside porch and through the breezeway. Occasionally you'd look out the window and see him starring back in at you.

Would also add when you are standing in a bedroom doorway and you do see her but hear her quietly singing to the kids. Sometimes hearing it late at night when the kids are real restless through the baby monitor.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

As far as I know, my house isn't haunted, but does have it's share of huldufolk.

Though, my wife swore that one day she did hear laughing coming from the attic. Again, could have been the huldu.

Comment

I used to think my house was haunted, but I'm pretty sure it was just the house settling. It was a new building when I moved in. And in case anyone wants to ask "why did you think a new apartment building was haunted", it's because I live in central Berlin and any space available for a new apartment building is a place where a building used to stand and got bombed during the war. The likelihood that at least one person died in the previous building is very, very high.

Comment

When I was little, I used to see a figure moving around the house. Later I found out that the house was previously own by a creepy guy who died there.

I can't really say if I had actually seen things - we moved when I was 7, and that was a long, long time ago...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My father used to tell of about a house he lived in when he was younger. At night the ghost of an older woman would walk around with a candle and go to each bed and check on each child. Lots of times you'd see the candle floating in the air with no one attached to it he said. Don't know where the house is other than somewhere in Maryland or Dc as that was where he lived in his youth and early teens.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I think in around 99% of the cases, the house is not actually haunted and there is a better explanation(occult related, psychological or otherwise).

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane Spells View Post
                I think in around 99% of the cases, the house is not actually haunted and there is a better explanation(occult related, psychological or otherwise).
                Yeah, perhaps the individual or family is 'haunted', not the property. Would explain entities that follow...
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Question, does "haunted" mean that the ghost/spirit is creepy, malevolent and scary, or just that there is a ghost or spirit hanging around?

Years ago we lived in a house with a ghost, but none of us ever used the term haunted (and we had three young kids at the time) we just said we had a ghost.

So I am curious if haunted only refers to spooky stuff.

Comment

LOL - undefined terms are the curse of casual metaphysics.

Comment

I've had a few experiences in the house that I grew up in (where my parents still live), and from talking to my mom about it, she also has said that there are a few spots in the house that have always made her uneasy. Of course, both places fall under the common areas that people claim to experience ghosts.

I've always been a little unsettled by my parents' basement, even now at the age of 38, I find that I am wary of going into it. Now, it's not the typical "dark and cluttered" sort of basement, but a rather warm and well-lit area. A handful of times, while growing up, I had seen three figures flash before my eyes just as I would reach for the switch to turn on one of the lights (There were two light switches in the basement. One at the top of the stairs for one half, then a pull cord in the main area for the other part). They are (or were, as I haven't seen them in at least 10 years) a family consisting of a mother, father, and small child, well dressed in clothing common for the 1940s or so. I've never felt like they were there to scare me or to be harmful, but at those ages it freaked me out a little bit. It had gotten to the point that even now, when I visit my parents and go into the basement, I always look in the direction I remember seeing that family and saying hello. I've not seen them since I started doing that.

The other spot was the attic, where many of my brothers and my old toys and such had been stored after we'd outgrown them. I've never seen anything up there, but just never felt comfortable in the space.

A few times I've talked to my mom about it, and she's said that even though they have lived in the house for almost 50 years, she has never felt comfortable in the basement or the attic space, and spent as little time as possible in those areas. While she didn't say that she'd seen anything, when I told her what I had seen as a kid, she got a little quiet, so I'm assuming that she may have had the same experiences.

As for the attic, I have a theory about that. Included in those toys were night lights, stuffed animals, and even security blankets. After so many years of those objects being used to "ward off monsters", act as imaginary friends, and be part of our comfort zones, all of those feelings and such had taken on a life of their own, sort of creating homunculi. Now, that attic space is where they live, sort of half forgotten and possibly lonely, and so when someone goes up there, they seek out that attention though instead leaves us feeling uneasy.

Comment

Working...
                      X