Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PABBIS

>_<

I hate this shit. Banning books is the most ludicrous travesty I can think of doing to our children. Beside, what about parents who might take up the opposite majority? Parents who want their children to be exposed to literature that will expand their minds and allow them to be pushed by what they read? Of course, where those parents are is beyond me.

All right, so I would fill the shelves of an elementary school with books filled with profanity, but Harry Potter and even Twilight should be allowed to young adults. If authors can capture the young spirit and harness it into desiring to read, who are we to deny them?

Young kids don't read enough as it as and now we limit what is available?

ARGH
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I'm more inclined to say that Twilight should be purged as an abomination before Gods and men but otherwise yeah more books good. Pointless censorship (especially of books that have been required reading) not so good.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

[quote author=MaskedOne link=topic=1049.msg23089#msg23089 date=1292594452]
        I'm more inclined to say that Twilight should be purged as an abomination before Gods and men.
        [/quote]

one of my fav quotes MaskedOne

i have to say im on the fence on this topic, im very anti-censcorship but at the same time it is unusual that movies, tvshow and consol games all have
        a rating system but there really isnt any system in place to prevent a 5 year old from purchasing a book that contains graphic depictions of violence
        or other adult themes
        But mummy the other religions dont have to 'an it harm none'

Comment

[quote author=zachai link=topic=1049.msg23092#msg23092 date=1292595042]
          i have to say i'm on the fence on this topic, i'm very anti-censorship but at the same time it is unusual that movies, tv shows and console games all have a rating system but there really isn't any system in place to prevent a 5 year old from purchasing a book that contains graphic depictions of violence or other adult themes
          [/quote]

That's because, and for the most part rightly so, most people assume that a 5 year old kid wouldn't be able to read at a level where adult themes are problematic. Or that a 5 year old would walk into a book store unattended.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=1049.msg23115#msg23115 date=1292606330]
            That's because, and for the most part rightly so, most people assume that a 5 year old kid wouldn't be able to read at a level where adult themes are problematic. Or that a 5 year old would walk into a book store unattended.
            [/quote]

Ah ok so i may have been using hyperbole there with the 5 year old, but take for example Amazon.com and it e-book the kindle. My 10 and 12 year old nephew and neice both have a kindle and the amazon store would allow them to buy any book on any topic in their collection, quite a few of which have graphic pictures to go with their graphic writing (i should know i own alot of them )

Comment

[quote author=zachai link=topic=1049.msg23131#msg23131 date=1292608465]
              Ah ok so i may have been using hyperbole there with the 5 year old, but take for example Amazon.com and its e-book the kindle. My 10 and 12 year old nephew and niece both have a kindle and the amazon store would allow them to buy any book on any topic in their collection, quite a few of which have graphic pictures to go with their graphic writing (i should know i own alot of them )
              [/quote]

While I think this is awesome, just that they are reading, amazon.com has no idea how old a person is if they are buying items under someone else's account information. Amazon probably figures that if a person is purchasing items from them with a credit or debit card (or PayPal - does amazon.com accept PayPal?) that they are old enough to have said purchasing power.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

yer amazon accepts paypal (but you do have to be over 14 to set up paypal) my neice has a visa debit card she uses to by from amazon (you only have to be 13 to get one of them, i know i said she was 12, im a bad uncle )

i suppose its all a little off topic from the actual debate (PABBIS) i was just trying to higlight that there are indeed books that should be kept out of school libaries, and while i dont like the idea of censorship, schools do have a duty of care towards their students.

Comment

[quote author=zachai link=topic=1049.msg23157#msg23157 date=1292617647]
                  yer amazon accepts paypal (but you do have to be over 14 to set up paypal) my neice has a visa debit card she uses to by from amazon (you only have to be 13 to get one of them, i know i said she was 12, im a bad uncle )

i suppose its all a little off topic from the actual debate (PABBIS) i was just trying to higlight that there are indeed books that should be kept out of school libaries, and while i dont like the idea of censorship, schools do have a duty of care towards their students.
                  [/quote]
                  Well then maybe her parents should make sure what their child is buying.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=1049.msg23175#msg23175 date=1292626516]
                    Well then maybe her parents should make sure what their child is buying.
                    [/quote]

they do, my neice only has a kindle (not one with wireless internet) so she can only buy the books on an actual computer and transfer it over, and she is only allowed to use the net while her parents are watching. But if she really had the urge she could easily got to a public computer or even a school computer, buy the ebook and transfer it there.

Anyway i really didnt mean to bring my family into it, all i was doing was using it as a case study of reasons why books should have an enforcable ratings system and then when groups like PABBIS appear the schools can righly say that books like Twilight are rated PG and may contain mussy and non sencical ramblings, but are perfectly safe for children. Similar ebook reader which are becoming more common could be registered to a person and their age would deem which content is sutiable (like prettly much every other electronic device sold)

Comment

This is abit totally insane, (the giver is award winning btw and still part of school curriculum, i know cause my eigth grade class read it) I couldn't resist I looked at that list *gasp* really? I've read like a chunck of that list, some of which was for summer reading. I just searched my school library database and alot of that list is in my school library. I don't see any problem, people in high school are mature enough for that. I mean really go ask alice was one of the best books I ever read, and a book I think every teenager should read. I've also seen it used as a "what not to do" best is its a true diary. Its absolutely ridiculous besides its not like it makes any difference in today's society, trying to censor "inappropriate" books just makes kids illiterate. Okay now ill wait to be screamed at for looking at the list. Really couldn't resist its almost funny censored books in a world of dropping literacy. I have to show this to my librarian. Some books I can understand for like k-8 but in a high school library?
                      Circe

Comment

Working...
                      X