Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roughly, how much money do you think you've spent on...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roughly, how much money do you think you've spent on...?

20 years worth of candles, herbs, my drum collection, the occasional bit of statuary, books, etc...(ETA: AND the raw materials and supplies to make things myself) ...very little of which makes me a "proper pagan" and all of which can and has been used for other purposes...probably at least $1000, maybe 2000. None off which I consider wasteful, just part of the journey.

*shrug* I spend more money per year on Netflix and Amazon prime, or on yarn.
    Last edited by thalassa; 13 Nov 2014, 03:43.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amadi View Post
      Ditto, I rarely spend money on Pagan related items. If anything candles, paint and charms are the main three things ._.
      Tritto, if that's a word. ;3

I have spent some money on a book and alter supplies for Obon, but it is only about €12/£9.50/$15 (USD). I plan to buy another book in the near future, but not much after that. Kamidana, and proper supplies for Shrine Shinto practice, can be very expensive though. '^'

Comment

TBH not very much considering I'm one of those new to it and trying to be a "proper pagan". Mostly I just took old long forgotten stuff sitting in my house and started using it. My grandma left behind a lot of pretty junk that my family didn't have use for, but I did haha. My altar chest, cloth, bowls, are hers. I bought one incense burner but ended up not even using it for my altar.
        Mostly i burn my money on incense, since i light it almost every day. Candles i am always good at picking up for cheap, i mean pennies.
        So all in all i've probably spent about $50 since I've started. That includes incense, candles, 2 food offerings (i like to spend the money on it rather than just use what i have sitting around. it is a gift.) 3 candle holders, and a small cheap set of bottles. Everything else is free which is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by miss_mc View Post
          TBH not very much considering I'm one of those new to it and trying to be a "proper pagan". Mostly I just took old long forgotten stuff sitting in my house and started using it. My grandma left behind a lot of pretty junk that my family didn't have use for, but I did haha. My altar chest, cloth, bowls, are hers. I bought one incense burner but ended up not even using it for my altar.
          Mostly i burn my money on incense, since i light it almost every day. Candles i am always good at picking up for cheap, i mean pennies.
          So all in all i've probably spent about $50 since I've started. That includes incense, candles, 2 food offerings (i like to spend the money on it rather than just use what i have sitting around. it is a gift.) 3 candle holders, and a small cheap set of bottles. Everything else is free which is awesome.
          I wish I could have had my Gran's old stuff - my Uncle stole it all for himself when she died (though it was all left to me... what a douche). She had a lovely trinket box made out of wood in the shape of a book and it would have gone so well on my altar! I definitely spent more than 30 pounds in the beginning - probably close to 100 pounds ($156)!

Comment

I've spent quite a bit on books... I don't mind that though, I love books. Crystals too, mostly because I really like crystals, I had a fair few even before I began practising anything. candles and candle holders i've found cheap... I don't really know how much i've spent. judging by the stack of books, a lot..
            You remind me of the babe
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I dread to think... Occasionally it occurs to me that if there is some kind of afterlife then one of the things I might be confronted with is how much stuff I've bought, and got rid of. There must be mountains of it, and it shames me.

Comment

That's so hard to calculate....

Books, like most everyone else, have cost me the most, though nowadays I try to find information online, if I can. Maybe around $300?

My current altar was about $20 (I use a chess board wooden box)

Crystals/gem stones, I've probably have spent around $200.

I have a thing for athames, so I tend to buy a new one every 2 or 3 years or so:
                - My first one was a plastic black handled fish boning knife that I got from the dollar store (my mom was not happy with me when I brought that home), so like a $1. I've since lost that one.
                - My second one my mom helped me buy online; it was a small mermaid knife on a key chain travel sized. I got it off ebay... I think I paid like maybe $10 or so. I still use it sometimes.
                - For a while after that I decided to try using a wand, so I cut a branch from a willow tree. I ended up using that through my first couple years of college until it broke on me. That was free.
                - My next athame was another mermaid knife, but a bigger one with a brass handle; I think I spent around $40; I think that was my most expensive single purchase ever. I still have it and keep it on my more permanent bookcase altar, but I don't use it very often; I think it just feels too big, or something.
                - My current one is a wooden handled folding pocket knife that locks open: about $10.

I have a poster of a moon goddess that I have over my permanent altar.
                - The poster was about $15
                - The frame was about $20

Random statuary from thrifts stores: about $100

Tarot Cards: Most have been gifts, but I did buy one set from a discount book store for around $10 and then a nicer deck online for about $20.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, so I'm guessing I've spent around $900 or so total...
                Wow... When you only pay a little at a time, it really doesn't seem like so much...

Comment

I don't think I want to know how much I've spent, considering that at least 75% of the books I've bought, and 90% of the statues are packed away. These are from my Hindu/Buddhist days. I bought books that, looking back, I know I was never going to read. I've kept copies of the Mahabharata, Ramayana and Bhagavad Gita on the shelf because they are educational and inspirational. Keeping even those is iffy. But other books on philosophies! Oy veh! I already donated a stack of them to the county library. I will probably donate the rest. I don't know what to do with the statues except keep them packed away. I could go through them, re-wrap them and donate them to the Hindu temple gift shop.

As for Asatru items, I've spent a fair amount on books, but nowhere near what I did before. I got only the basics... the Eddas, and a few books on the lore and mythology, and I intend to read them all (maybe 10, if that). I bought a drinking horn, a resin replica of the Eyrarland Statue of Thor, a small wooden bowl, a hammer, a set of rune stones. Instead of going nuts finding statues of the Aesir and Vanir, I've printed out pictures I found on the internet. I print them on photo quality paper and frame them. The only other thing I'd get, if I could afford it, is a seax for the altar, for Thor and Tyr. A seax is actually not unlike an athame, but the seax must be sharpened.

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                  śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I get most of my stuff as cheaply or from nature as possible. Books would be the big item. And honestly I would have bought books anyway.

Comment

Most of my tools were passed down to me from family, or gifted by close friends; a lot of my other items come from nature and/or I've made from nature. As for books, pottery, and clothes? I've practically got everything from thrift shops or free church donation centers..and I can't say I've spent too much..about $300 in 5 years.
                      "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Working...
                      X