Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roughly, how much money do you think you've spent on...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh bought a 120 singing bowl once...
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Roughly, how much money do you think you've spent on...?

Oh wow... um, I have no idea. I'm sure it would be a fair bit of money, but that's also spread out through fifteen-ish years of practice. Like a lot of others, books are the biggest slice of the spending pie. I buy used more often these days, so it saves a bit, but there are still some history/scholarly books which can be a bit pricey at times. I also admit to spending a fair bit of money on statues, but only a few are actively part of shrines, I just really enjoy the rest as art for the most part. A couple tools were also a bit pricey, but I worth the cost for the quality/how often they're used. Other tools I made myself, or found (stones and such), and I do forage for a lot of materials and make my own incense and other things - but then I still have to buy incense charcoal, carrier oils, Epsom salts, beeswax, tea lights, and all those types of things. I also use all those for non-spiritual purposes, so hard to judge that cost very well sometimes.

It's an interesting question, though. I never really thought about it much because things just sort of came in as they were needed. I do remember seeing some of those lists of "here's the million things you definitely need to be a witch!" in a few beginner books back in the day, but since I was pretty young and didn't exactly have a lot of money at the time, I always kinda ignored them.
      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I've used hundreds buying books, tarot cards, and stones. I've learned a lot from books and myself. I'm also a book lover.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

See, I think I've probably bought about 10-15 books total. I do buy a lot of books in general, but most of my book budget gets spent on my voracious appetite for fiction. I have a very limited budget, so I tend to spend the little I have very carefully and with all of the public domain material out there, I save my money for those new release novels that I just -have- to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
            Oh bought a 120 singing bowl once...
            Wow, really? Was it made out of gold? XD I picked one up for £20!

Comment

So much money over the years, especially in the beginning. I think between my ex wife and I we bought 75% of whatever crap Llewellyn published, more incense to choke the proverbial goat, enough herbs to start our own shop, so many stones that if piled up together would sink a cruise ship ... You get the idea.

After a while, I realized that it was ridiculous. Most of what I was reading I found to be drivel, she decided that her "new age phase" was over, and so now I'm left with piles of junk that would best be used as kindling for a fire.

Of course, I look back on that and think "damn, it was nice to have all that disposable income", but now if I feel I need something, I make it instead of buying it.
              "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                See, I think I've probably bought about 10-15 books total. I do buy a lot of books in general, but most of my book budget gets spent on my voracious appetite for fiction. I have a very limited budget, so I tend to spend the little I have very carefully and with all of the public domain material out there, I save my money for those new release novels that I just -have- to read.
                For me it's the other way around. I do read a bit of fiction, but usually they're older books I can pick up for a dollar or two (or even older stuff I can download for free), and I only usually finish one or two a year - I tear through history books though (related to my practice or not), so that's where all my book spending money goes.
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I don't generally use disposables in my practice. Only candles, but rarely. I have spent about... 50€ for my altar. But that's it.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                    For me it's the other way around. I do read a bit of fiction, but usually they're older books I can pick up for a dollar or two (or even older stuff I can download for free), and I only usually finish one or two a year - I tear through history books though (related to my practice or not), so that's where all my book spending money goes.
                    Yup, non-fiction here, too, except not just history. And that's the thing, even with the esoteric stuff off the shopping list, I would have purchased some other books to fill the void, so I think it's fairly break-even for me.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                      I sort of read a bit of everything. I actually have a cycle that goes contemporary or genre fiction - anything in German - non-fiction, commentary, or spirituality - classic fiction. A good chunk of the "classics" (includes mythology and folklore, which is one of my passions) and non fiction stuff that I read is public domain, so I usually download the eBook versions from Project Gutenberg or somewhere similar. I'm a very slow reader, so even though I spend a lot of my time reading, I only get through a couple dozen books in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                        I don't generally use disposables in my practice. Only candles, but rarely. I have spent about... 50€ for my altar. But that's it.
                        Ditto, I rarely spend money on Pagan related items. If anything candles, paint and charms are the main three things ._.
                        Work hard Play hard.
                        What is history?

Comment

this is hilarious-- I have spent more money on this kind of stuff than many people in this thread XD.
                          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I am not a fan of rituals at the moment, so I don't think about buying special things for a ritual. But perhaps it will change as the time goes.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I am kinda funny,mostly found items..as well as items that come to me..Feathers,stones...only one book"The Witches bible complete"
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fire Nymph View Post

Wow, really? Was it made out of gold? XD I picked one up for £20!
                                bronze. Its beautiful
                                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                                Seen the desert and the birds
                                You cut your hair short
                                Like a shush to an insult
                                The world had been yelling
                                Since the day you were born
                                Revolting with anger
                                While it smiled like it was cute
                                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment