Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The connection between mythological Gods and astral bodies, like planets; Astrology.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The connection between mythological Gods and astral bodies, like planets; Astrology.

It's interesting and more than obvious, to notice, if you study all these subjects: Astrology, Astronomy and Mythology, that they are all linked.

The indo-european gods are essentially the same, with different interpretations. And even when they are different, the main ones are still linked to both an astrological sign, and a planet.

It's interesting to notice that the characteristics associated to each god, are the same that are present in the astral chart of its sign. Also, the god or goddess is linked, as mentioned, to a planet.

In Roman Mythology, it can't be missed. Mars, Jupiter, Venus, etc. The gods and the planets are the same, and have the same name.

Could the gods be a personification of the planets, and other astral bodies, like the moon? A way for us to be able to understand them better, and to feel somewhat, more connected to them? It seems to be like that.

For example, the god Mars (in Roman terminology) is associated to the sign Aries (name of the exact same god, but in Greek mythology)

Well, Aries is one of the 12 astrological signs, and it is related to warfare and battle. Such are some of the characteristics of the natives of this sign. They never say no to a fight. And Mars is the planet that rules them.

All this is connected.

Are the gods, in fact, the planets? Logic seems to point that way. And, studying Astrology, one will soon realize that, and again, logically, the planets influence our own lives, and who we are.

The interesting question here, is to debate what kind of bodies, of beings, are the planets, and other astral bodies. What are their natures, and what is really going on within them. Of course, we are only humans, and we become confused when we need to deal with creatures that are not phyisically related to us. Like trees, for example. Who also have their own form of sensibility, and intelligence.

Our bodies are only the receptacle. Our essences, came from the cosmos. Regardless the body they will occupy, if you like.

So, of course, we are dealing with realities that happen, also, outside our physical realm. Those energies, including our own, they are here, by our side, but cannot be touched, or seen, or understood. At least, that easilly, and with the same tools =)

- - - Updated - - -

It's also curious and relevant to mention that Jesus had 12 apostles. Some theories say that each one of them, belonged to a different and specific astrological sign. In the end, Jesus might have been someone very close and influenced by heathen religions, and their wisdom. Such as astrology. That also makes sense, since he rebelled against classic Judaism, and hence, he had to be close to other teachings, and ways of perceiving spirituality, and the cosmos. It's already well known that he drank a lot out of the Buddhist fountain, for example.

Re: The connection between mythological Gods and astral bodies, like planets; Astrolo

Just a quick question. Shouldn't Celtic and Germanic deities be included in the Indo-European gods group? Because I can't see them as all being 'essentially the same'.
    It is true that whenever Romans encountered the Celtic and/or Germanic tribes they tried their best to shoehorn they deities there encountered into their own pantheon, I must presume to help people who read their texts and hadn't encountered these people understand. But it is shoehorning and not at all a comfortable fit. And as far as I have understood Celtic tribes didn't even have a unified pantheon, but rather a number of local deities and who got worshipped varied wildly with where you lived. (Can someone on here who has more knowledge of the Celtic deities and culture please confirm or deny this).

So could you please elaborate on which pantheons are included in the Indo-European ones and how they are 'essentially the same'.
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Re: The connection between mythological Gods and astral bodies, like planets; Astrolo

I always thought that Most gods, no matter which religion, share a lot of traits. The Greek, roman and even norse gods (to me) are often representations of human traits...
      I've never studied astrology much, so I'm curious about this. In roman mythology the connection between planets and gods is obvious. I'm struggling to see it as much in something like the norse mythology, or Christianity.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

While I doubt that the OP will be responding, due to the fact that in another thread he said he wasn't coming back here, the astrology angle is sort of interesting.

Iris, when I get home I'll add something here for you that gives a generalization as to many of the norse gods and their relationships to both the planets and the zodiac. Also, it's interesting that Odin's number is nine, and if you still count poor Pluto, there are nine planets ...

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
          Iris, when I get home I'll add something here for you that gives a generalization as to many of the norse gods and their relationships to both the planets and the zodiac. Also, it's interesting that Odin's number is nine, and if you still count poor Pluto, there are nine planets ...
          thanks I'd very much like to know more about it
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
            So could you please elaborate on which pantheons are included in the Indo-European ones and how they are 'essentially the same'.
            I can't speak for the OP, but Celtic and Germanic deities would be included under the Indo-European umbrella, and there are deities from both groups who are thought to be 'descendants' from a reconstructed Proto-Indo-European pantheon, so a lot of these deities in different pantheons do have the same roots (as do some myths and practices). That said, I'm also not sure it's fair to essentially say they're all the same, either, since even the deities who share a common 'ancestor' changed over thousands of years, were synchronized with other deities, local myths, etc.
            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Well, I'm going to correct myself from what I had said earlier. It's not so much the gods as being associated with the zodiac and the planets, as it is something else.

In the Grimnismal, Odin spoke of the twelve palaces of Asgard and those who lived within them, and from there it was determined how those would relate to the zodiac.

* Bilskinir - Meaning 'lightning', is the hall of Thor, and is related to Aries
              * Thrymheim - 'Thunder Home', the dwelling of Skadi, connected to Taurus
              * Folkvang - 'The Field of Warriors', where Freya takes her half of the dead, and is associated with Gemini
              * Himminbjorg - Heimdal's abode, meaning 'Heavens Hall', and is related to Cancer
              * Breiablikk - Baldur's home, 'Broadview', and is connected to Leo
              * Sokkvabekk - Saga's hall, the 'stream of time and events', and equated to Virgo
              * Glitnir - 'Hall of Splendor' where Forseti resides, corresponding to Libra
              * Gladsheim - Odin's 'Shining Home', and connected to Scorpio
              * Ydalir - 'Valley of the Yews' and home to Uller, linked to Sagittarius
              * Landvidi - Vidar's hall, the 'White Land', and it's sign is Capricorn
              * Valaskjalf - Connected to Aquarius, it is Vali's 'Halls of Silver'
              * Noatun - Njord's 'Shipyard', and related to Pisces

Then we have the Nine Realms and the Nine Planets:
              * Midgard - Earth
              * Lightalfheim - Venus
              * Vanaheim - Mercury
              * Swartalfheim - Mars
              * Muspelheim - Jupiter
              * Jotunheim - Saturn
              * Asgard - Uranus
              * Nifelheim - Neptune
              * Hel - Pluto

I got all of this from Freya Aswynn's "Leaves of Yggdrasil".

Comment

I feel so stupid right now :P how did I never connect the nine planets to the nine realms? ... thanks
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Well...considering that Uranus wasn't discovered until 1781 (and had a number of names until Uranus because accepted 60-70 years later), Neptune in 1846, and Pluto (if you count it) in 1930...I'd consider anything having to do with these two plantets and Pluto to be coincidental (and a modern association--not that there is anything wrong with that, but scientifically it doesn't mesh). Plus, if you count Pluto, then you need to count Ceres (in the asteroid belt), Makemake, Haumea, Sedna and Eris (all in the outer solar system with Pluto, and probably a couple dozen other dwarf planets).

The only planets visible to the naked eye (telescopes weren't invented til the late 1500's when advances in lens grinding and glass making make both it and the compound microscope possible) before that were Mercury-Saturn...and the Romans (like other cultures) named them for the things in their culture they thought they were representative of. Venus, after the goddess of love and beauty, because it was the brightest and most easily seen...Mars after the god of war because of its red color...Mercury because it moves swiftly, after the messenger of the gods, etc. In Babylonian mythology, Mercury was Marduk--the god (I believe) of wisdom or something like that. Venus was thought to be the brother deities Hesperus (in the AM) and Eosphorus (in the PM) by the Greeks.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X