Runes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runes

No need to move it to another thread. Was just a small point of clarification. I'll note that the next time I correct someone. But that argument should be dropped. If Rick would like to attempt to enlighten me further on the topic, he can personally message me. Other than that, no point in attempting to argue off topic any further.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
      Now my curiosity is piqued. Could you recommend some sources? Books, sites, authors, names, etc...? I've read a handful of books, done some divining, own a set, but I'm by no means beyond a novice when it comes to runes.
      This is probably posted earlier in this thread; it definitely is posted in the Heathen Resources thread, but here it is again:

Rune Resource List

---BOOKS

"Must Haves"

THE RUNE PRIMER by Sweyn Plowright
      NORTHERN MYSTERIES & MAGICK by Freya Aswynn
      The collective works of Edred Thorsson,
      including FUTHARK and RUNELORE
      TAKING UP THE RUNES by Diana Paxson
      THE POETIC EDDA trans. by Lee M. Hollander
      THE POETIC EDDA trans. by Carolyne Larrington
      ELEMENTS OF RUNES by Bernard King
      TEUTONIC MAGIC by Kveldulf Gundarsson

"Should Haves"

PRINCIPALS OF RUNES by Freya Aswynn
      RUNE MAGIC by Nigel Pennick
      HELRUNAR by Jan Fries (advanced)
      TEUTONIC RELIGION by Kveldulf Gundarsson
      RUNECHARMS: PRACTICAL RUNE MAGIC vol I
      by Rick R. Wilson

"Also Recommended"

RUNES by R.I. Page

--- WEBSITES

www.elhazablaze.com (lots of useful information)
      www.northvegr.org (lore)
      www.irminsul.org (links)
      www.mackaos.com.au/Rune-Net (online learning resource-$16 annual membership fee)
      www.aswynn.co.uk (Freya Aswynn's home page)
      The Viking Answer Lady Webpage - Viking Age History, Culture, Arts, Literature, and More

I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
      Tribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Thank you! So much knowledge to absorb...

Comment

Other good sources turn up in Academic Journals. I would recommend J R Hall's Perspective and word play in the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem (if you're interested in the AS runes, obviously!) It's only eight pages but if you can't find it elsewhere on the net, just pm me with your email address and I'll gladly send anyone a copy.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Just pointing this out, Rick never once said "don't read Thorsson's books." In fact, it's one of names on his "must haves" list for rune reading.

Originally posted by Rick View Post
            "Must Haves"

THE RUNE PRIMER by Sweyn Plowright
            NORTHERN MYSTERIES & MAGICK by Freya Aswynn
            The collective works of Edred Thorsson,
            including FUTHARK and RUNELORE

TAKING UP THE RUNES by Diana Paxson
            THE POETIC EDDA trans. by Lee M. Hollander
            THE POETIC EDDA trans. by Carolyne Larrington
            ELEMENTS OF RUNES by Bernard King
            TEUTONIC MAGIC by Kveldulf Gundarsson

Therefore this part of the statement is mitigated, at least in my book.

Originally posted by Norse_Angel
            Sincerly, if any records did exist, you'd be able to find them online. Seeing as you cannot, they must not exist, and in that note, never happened. You being a long time member here Rick, should know the power of your words. I hope people don't read your false accusations, and chose not to read his material. He's an absolute genius when it comes to the topics of runes

I have yet to read anything written here that says his works are not worth reading; only that it's encouraged to read more than just his books.

I should have made more coffee before logging back on today. :P

Comment

I've culled a topic. I do not guarantee that it will stay culled but an issue occurred to me that I'm not entirely willing to tempt at this point in time. If you know what I've culled then leave it culled. If you don't know then you don't need to.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Rick, what type of sets do you own? Material; wood, stone, crystal, or any type of metals? What is your favorite set in your collection? And do you like to meddle in seidhr, ye dirty man
                - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                  Rick, what type of sets do you own? Material; wood, stone, crystal, or any type of metals? What is your favorite set in your collection? And do you like to meddle in seidhr, ye dirty man
                  I own one set of runes, that I made from birch (berchta, berkana). I've had them for... what time us it? ... 20+ years. I have made runes to sell or trade from pine, oak, cedar, pecan, hickory, antler, bone, horn, sea shells, plastic polymer clay (Femo or Sculpy), glass fishbowl 'pebbles', pasteboard... sets of my runes now reside in the U.K., Sweden, and Germany. I don't practice seidhr (for sure not as it is popularly described), but I have studied Teutonic folk magic and 'shamanism' for a good long while.
                  I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                  Tribe of my Tribe
                  Clan of my Clan
                  Kin of my Kin
                  Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

How versed in Galdr are you? And how pretty is your singing voice?
                    - Finn's Saga

Comment

How versed in Galdr are you? And how pretty is your singing voice?
                      I've been known to sing the runes. Used to have a fine Irish tenor voice, but apparently I've swallowed too much gravel that stuck in my throat...

Blood and Country
                      Tribe of my Tribe
                      Clan of my Clan
                      Kin of my Kin
                      Blood of my Blood

Comment

Good on you. Can you write in the elder Futhark, and if so, do you stick to German or English?
                        - Finn's Saga

Comment

Good on you. Can you write in the elder Futhark, and if so, do you stick to German or English?
                          I rista runen. In what language depends on why I'm writing runes in the first place.

Blood and Country
                          Tribe of my Tribe
                          Clan of my Clan
                          Kin of my Kin
                          Blood of my Blood

Comment

True to the old ways. Perhaps we aren't on such unequal pages.
                            My story starts years ago in the midst of a heroin addiction. The runes came to me years before in the shape of my god father, who is a genuine hearted man. He gave me my first set, and a book by mr. Thorsson. I was cleaning out my room right after a traumatic event happened in my life, and stumbled across the set. They helped me overcome a very strong physical and psychological dependence on one of the most addictive substances one could find. They literally saved my life, for being in and out of the hospital numerous times, it would have been soon where I wouldn't find myself walking away. Ever since then, it has been a devotion to learn everything I could about the runes. I have more than dabbled in every aspect of rune lore, the history, including magickal uses, tradition and revival. I dropped everything else in my life to learn more, and more. That is my discovery of the runes, and I would not be here today without them.
                            - Finn's Saga

Comment

Working...
                            X